Eating back exercise calories

Options
Eating back exercise calories does not make sense to me. The point behind exercise specifically cardiovascular is to create a calorific deficit which leads to fat burn. I understand that resistance training increases BMR.

Someone please explain the reasoning behind this weight loss methodology?

Replies

• glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,595 Member
    Options
    Well, the point of cardio is more for heart health but I shout the loudest when I say I exercise for more food. :)

Ok, so here's the thing. Setting up your calorie goal in mfp doesn't take exercise into account. Just your bmr and daily activity level so you already have a deficit you're aiming for. Not eating purposeful exercise calories back puts you into a bigger deficit which is potentially harmful because undereating is no bueno.

Plus....more food! :)
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,956 Member
    Options
  • distortedvision78
    distortedvision78 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Please look at my food diary. I think my diet needs modification. Please note the glucose tablets and the Lucozade were to treat a hypo. I am Type 2 IDDM diabetic.

I am currently 152kg. I'm building up my gym regime. I've set my daily calorific intake at 2000cals. But I think it realistically should be 2500cals. My objective is to lose 3kg of fat per month ie 0.75kg per week. I've done this in the past so I know this is a realistic and sustainable rate of weight loss.
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 878 Member
    edited August 2022
    Options
    This is how MFP is set up to work. If you said that you wanted to lose weight during your set up --- your daily calorie goal is *already* set at a deficit to your maintenance calorie level.

If you do not eat back your exercise calories, you will be creating too high of a deficit to be effective or sustainable to lose weight.

This is something that is confusing to a lot of people starting to use MFP.

Generally speaking though -- creating a calorie deficit by exercise calories - is not a weight loss strategy that is supported by science. That's why people say 'you can't outrun a bad diet'. Or other sayings to that effect.

Burning calories through exercise shouldn't be the main source of your caloric deficit. It can help a little - sure. But exercise and overall consistent activity is good for you, not for weight loss - but for overall cardiovascular and respiratory health.

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Options
    Exercise calories are the tastiest 🤷‍♀️
  • LiveOnceBeHappy
    LiveOnceBeHappy Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Exercise calories are the tastiest 🤷‍♀️

I ride my bike for red wine or ice cream.
  • distortedvision78
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »
    This isn't his first rodeo. In looking for his diary I saw he asked the exact same question in just about the exact same wording a little under 2 years ago.

Some of the same people even answered.

OP, maybe this time you'll actually believe/listen to us.

Yes I remember. I'm listening and heeding the advice.

What is the best TDEE to use to calculate my daily calorific intake?

Please comment on my current diet. I'm trying to make improvements.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Eating back exercise calories does not make sense to me. The point behind exercise specifically cardiovascular is to create a calorific deficit which leads to fat burn. I understand that resistance training increases BMR.

If exercise defaulted to losing weight, a lot of people who exercise regularly for their health and overall wellbeing would just wither away and die.

If you set up MFP as designed, exercise is unaccounted for activity in your activity level...MFP IS NOT a TDEE calculator, MFP is a NEAT calculator. Example using my numbers. MFP would give me 2,000 calories per day to lose 1 Lb per week at lightly active (just my day to day, no deliberate exercise). This means that MFP is estimating my maintenance calories without doing any deliberate exercise to be 2,500 calories per day. Lets say I go on a 10 mile bike ride and burn 300 calories. I can eat those back because they aren't accounted for in the original equation. I can eat 2300 calories and still lose 1 Lb per week (as I established as my goal), because my estimated maintenance of 2500 calories would have also increased by those same 300 calories to 2,800 calories.

Alternatively I could use a TDEE calculator for which I would include both my day to day normal stuff and my average exercise in my activity level. It's 6 of 1, half dozen of the other...most TDEE calories give me around 2300 calories to lose 1 Lb per week. The only difference is where I accounted for the exercise. After the fact with MFP, and upfront with a TDEE calculator. Regardless, you are accounting for that activity which is why you eat back calories with MFP...to account for otherwise unaccounted for activity.

How much this really matters would depend on the size of your already established deficit without exercise in you calorie target and the size of the calorie expenditure from exercise. Overly large calorie deficits are unhealthy and put a lot of stress on the body and are usually counterproductive in the long run.

• distortedvision78
    Options
    Right, so MFP has calculated a daily intake goal of 1890cals. I'll work with that and eat back my exercise calories. 1890cals does seem low to me though.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Right, so MFP has calculated a daily intake goal of 1890cals. I'll work with that and eat back my exercise calories. 1890cals does seem low to me though.

What rate of loss did you select as your goal? What did you put as your activity level as per your day to day stuff? Is it accurate? It doesn't seem particularly low to me as that is around what I would get to lose 1 Lb per week if my day to day was sedentary...but even with a desk job, my day to day is actually light active without exercise. In general, our calorie needs aren't really as substantial as many think, nor does exercise burn the number of calories many people think.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options

You're confused about the way this works and the many reasons for or points of exercise. A healthier approach will pay dividends for you.
  • distortedvision78
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

What rate of loss did you select as your goal? What did you put as your activity level as per your day to day stuff? Is it accurate? It doesn't seem particularly low to me as that is around what I would get to lose 1 Lb per week if my day to day was sedentary...but even with a desk job, my day to day is actually light active without exercise. In general, our calorie needs aren't really as substantial as many think, nor does exercise burn the number of calories many people think.

1 kg per week. Right. Just completed today's food diary. Bad day ~ 3000 cals intake.
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,514 Member
    edited August 2022
    Options
    As a test, enter into MFP that you want to maintain your current weight, and enter your general daily activity (sedentary, active, etc.) which does not include your workouts. That's MFP's TDEE estimate for you. For me it's 2,440 as a sedentary male. If you then tell MFP you want to lose 1 pound per week, the new daily goal will likely be 500 calories less.

It's not complicated. Some days I burn a few hundred calories in a workout, some days I don't. Some times I take a week off working out, e.g. if I'm traveling. That's why I enter my workout calories each day as I do them.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,390 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

1 kg per week. Right. Just completed today's food diary. Bad day ~ 3000 cals intake.

You've chosen the highest setting, which might be the right choice for you. But if you go slower you get to eat more food. Plus your exercise anyway. Simples.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

What that is also saying is that your weight maintenance calories (for a day with no exercise) is estimated as 2990 - that really isn't low. It does make it very clear the issue with picking a 1kg/week weight loss target.

I had a look at your exercise diary and your estimates don't seem unreasonable, with the relative sizes of the numbers involved they really don't have the power to derail your progress.

If you prefer a same every day calorie goal (sounds hateful to me, but I'm not you!) then this is a good TDEE calculator - https://www.sailrabbit.com/bmr/
  • distortedvision78
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

What that is also saying is that your weight maintenance calories (for a day with no exercise) is estimated as 2990 - that really isn't low. It does make it very clear the issue with picking a 1kg/week weight loss target.

I had a look at your exercise diary and your estimates don't seem unreasonable, with the relative sizes of the numbers involved they really don't have the power to derail your progress.

If you prefer a same every day calorie goal (sounds hateful to me, but I'm not you!) then this is a good TDEE calculator - https://www.sailrabbit.com/bmr/

The exercise calories aren't estimated they are from my Polar Grit X HR monitor.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,114 Member
    Options

The exercise calories aren't estimated they are from my Polar Grit X HR monitor.

FYI: even a HR monitor doesn't measure calories, it also estimates. How reliably it estimates will depend on the type of exercise and on your individual body.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited August 2022
    Options

Yes they are very much estimated and depending on exercise type and the person they may range from reasonable to low to high.

Heartbeats are not a form of energy and counting heartbeats is not counting calories.

There is a large range of heartbeat ranges, both for resting HR and also exercise HR.
    e.g. I went for a bike ride with an elite level cyclist - at the same speed I was at 150bpm as I was trying hard and he was barely over 100bpm as my hard effort was his easy effort. Calorie burns though would have been very similar.