Beginning Runner w/ a NSV :))

Options
TakeOne
TakeOne Posts: 345 Member
So I've been maintaining for over a year and one of the things I do with my workouts is to set mini fitness goals and mix things up. At the moment, my fitness goal is to improve my mile time over a 5-6 week period. I've done intervals in the past..running/walking with my dog. Two weekends ago I started running by myself and tracking my mile time. It was NOT pretty... I started out at just over 12 minutes and not being able to run the whole way... I was also not so siked about people seeing me run (lame I know). That said, today I ran the entire way and I got my BEST MILE TIME EVER!!! 10:35 :)) I have 4 weeks to go, so I'm really excited to see how much I improve :) On a side note, someone yelled "Get it girl!" as they drove by...hahaha!

Just thought of a question: Would it be realistic for me to think that I could get under 10 minutes? A girl can dream right? Thanks folks :)

Replies

• starwhisperer
    Options
    I am sure you can! I hate to run and I have done it under 10 (I try to never jog though) but in the military as a girl I think you would be expected to d an 8 minute mile.... so I know it is possible.
  • calamitydown
    Options
    You're already beating me (with my 15+ minute mile...), so good job! Just push yourself a little each day and no doubt you can get it down to your goal. Good luck!
  • soloral
    Options
    Trying running for 2-3 miles to decrease your mile time. Or do mile repeats.
  • NeedANewFocus
    NeedANewFocus Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your NSV!! That's awesome!

It's most definitely possible. In fact, resources like www.military.com and www.runnersworld.com have suggestions on how to train for speed. Other than that I'm sure there's a whole plethora of support on the web to ail in running faster. For instance, I think I read somewhere that it helps to replace one of your running days with a vigorous workout of hills.

Keep up the amazing work!!! You're an inspiration :flowerforyou:
  • _Sally_
    _Sally_ Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    It is absolutely possible, but don't rush it and listen to your body. Check out runner's world web site for advice and for some training plans.

Honestly, if you do nothing but continue running a few miles, a few times a week (so that you build up to about 10 - 15 miles a week on a regular basis), your speed is likely to improve just from your running fitness alone, especially if you are young and thin (which it appears you are if you are maintaining now)

You don't mention how long you are doing your run/walks now for, or for how long you can run continuously. It doesn't sound to me like it would be appropropriate to add in intervals or hill training right now - I think you should simply focus on your running fitness and running comfortably for 3 - 5 miles, 3 - 4 times a week.

Once you can do that, then see where you are at and then set some new goals for yourself (distance and/or speed).
  • Mommawarrior
    Mommawarrior Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    You can absolutely get under 10! Go for it. I just got myself to 10 minute miles and I ran an half marathon in August. Set a goal and get it! You can do it!
  • lglg11
    lglg11 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Good for you and its definitely possible ! I have been running for about 6 months and have increased my time from 14 min miles to about a 10:15 min mile . I ran one mile at 8:26 once but that was only one (thought I might pass out afterwards :))

And I dont like to run in front of people either ! I thought I was the only one. I run at night or very early in the morning. I did my first 5k on Labor Day and it was very very hard for me to mentally finish with all those ... people ... around ! lol . But I did, not breaking any record speeds though, about 34 mins . So glad I finished :)
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    Good for you!

I use Micoach on my phone. Its free and there's lots of training plans on the site. You're already faster than me but I'm getting faster!
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    A few months ago there was an article in RunnersWorld about how to run your fastest mile. It had a training program and talked about how it's a little different than training for other distances. Go look it up, it was really interesting! Good luck! Of course you can do it!!!
  • TakeOne
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all the encouragment and advice!! I'll def. check out some of those site :) For the first two weeks I've only been running one mile about 2-3 x a week. Sounds like I need to increase my distance. I was wondering about that.. It seems nearly impossible to run more than a mile w/o stopping, LOL! I will say there is a certain point where it does get better. I'll give it a shot :)
  • TakeOne
    Options
    Just wanted to pop back by to let you all know.........I JUST RAN 2 MILES :))
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Way to go!

To increase your mile times you need to run more miles. Your speeds will increase as you build up your endurance.
  • maserati185
    maserati185 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Congrats! Yes, 10 or under is realistic. More running = more endurance = more speed. But don't leave it at 10 - the sky is the limit. As the drive by-er said... Get it, girl!
  • RippedArmyGuy
    Options
    Take One,

I wanted to share a couple of things. I am currently in the Army and i know for a fact that it is possible for you to run under a 10 min mile (so you can do it!). Next, my wife, who is not a runner, actually was a terrible runner (when she started), she is now under 10 min miles but started at like 15 min miles. The point that I'm trying to make is this: you have to lengthen your distance (endurance) once you have the endurance you can work on the time. I had her doing 2 miles twice a week and then a fartlic run, that is where you go a slow pace and then have short bursts of sprinting then back down to a slow jog this builds your speed, eventually allowing you to run at a faster pace. This is how we train in the Army and it works very well. Sure there are many articles on how to improve your run and things to do but if you just keep running you will get better. I have tried many things to get better at running and nothing works like running, so don't worry about what other people think about you when you run, i kinda like it when i hear the comments like look at that guy struggling, i just think to myself (I'd like to see you run 4 miles and then go to the gym) or better yet try running at all, then i ask God to forgive me for having hatful thoughts. LOL So just run and i promise you will get better, let me know when you get your second wind and run for several miles because if feels so good. Good luck to you.

Michael
  • RippedArmyGuy
    Options
    awesome job!
  • minannan
    minannan Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    tempo runs are also great - they helped me to improve my mile time: http://melissa-murfin.suite101.com/how-to-run-faster-a146527

if you have a smart phone, download an app called Endomondo - it's awesome! it uses the gps in your phone to track your route, pace, total miles/km, total calories burned (which I think is estimated pretty roughly), etc. and it allows you to save all of your workouts. there's an accompanying web site that has even more awesome features, all free.
    www.endomondo.com
  • TakeOne
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone :)) Your advice and encouraging words are very much appreciated! It makes sence really, improve your endurance, then worry about the speed. When I agreed to be apart of this challange at work, I never imagined I would continue running. But I'm going to keep going!!

I'm going to a 5K Autism Walk this weekend. But guess what? I'm getting a team together and we aren't gonna be walking the whole way!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!