APPLE SHAPE TUMMY FAT!

Options
LOL that title caught your attention huh? :laugh: SO I am working out doing cardio and weights, but seriously, who here has lost a bunch of belly fat? I am an apple. Straight up apple. All of my major fat is in my tummy. I wear a 22 in pants but a 28/30 in shirts! this is making finding a wedding dress impossible. It's horrible! I tried on size 32 wedding dresses and they didn't fit because of my fatty apple tummy! SO i have read and read and read about how belly fat is the hardest to get rid of and I want to know how people did it. Did you just do cardio? Did you do any ab exercises? Did you eat something magical (haha yeah right). I want details!

Replies

• peddlepusher
    Options
    *bump
  • Peanut1026
    Options
    I too have a bunch of belly fat to get rid of, it kinda looks like I"m pregnant..lol, but DEFANATLY not pregnant. I have been on this since September 6th. I have been doing various exercises, the ones I like most are leslie sansone walk at home, and now I am trying our some ab exercises I found on demand. I have lost 1" so far! Most of it was just by doing the walking. Takes time but eventually you will lose it!!!
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    I don't know how they say belly fat is hardest to get rid of, it is fat just like any other fat cell.

It depends on your shape, what fat will seem the hardest to see a loss in. For me? My stomach/chest is always thin and smaller.. because I'm a pear. All my fat is in my bum/thighs. So I could tell you to eat well and exercise and the belly fat will disappear first, and that would be true, but only for me.

So for you, and for anyone really, to lose any kind of fat, belly, thigh, arm... just simply reduce the amount of body fat you have. That takes time. If you are eating a calorie deficit (you are, if you follow what MFP suggests for you) then you will lower your body fat. If you are adding exercise, this will help, too :) The exercise will also give you health benefits other than body fat reduction.
  • Pristess
    Pristess Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I can't help you with the belly fat, but to get a nice fitting wedding dress, buy a dress that is too big and take it to a tailor. He/she can take up the parts that are too big. I always have that same problem with dresses!
  • MrsRipdizzle
    MrsRipdizzle Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately you cannot spot reduce...BUT...if you eat more protein and less carbs (not Atkins style, just change your macro ratio around a bit to maybe 40% carbs, 30% protein, 30% fat), you will lose some of the excess in the belly. Carbs can cause you to hold onto extra water.
    And while you can't spot reduce...I'll tell ya what...I've been doing the 30 Day Shred (just finished day 27) and I've noticed a HUGE difference in my belly/waist. From all the before/afters I've seen, women get GREAT results in this mid-section area. Don't be shy doing it....it's a nice tough workout but its only 20 mins...and results in a month?!?! YES PLEASE!!
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Just as an experiment, go for two weeks without eating any grains or beans (wheat, corn. rye, spelt, legumes etc.) You have nothing to lose except missing out on a favourite bagel or muffin etc. Make sure you eat lots of vegetables so you're still getting nutrients. Just wondering if you'll lose the belly like I did :-)
  • ccmccoy09
    ccmccoy09 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    It's not super popular to say on these boards, but low carb (30g per day) and no sugar is the only way, FOR ME, that I can lose my "No I'm not pregnant quit asking me when my baby is due" lower belly fat. I have a hard time sustaining that kind of diet without rebounding though, so I don't do it. I'm sure low calories and exercise will get me/you there eventually, we just have to work hard and be patient!

But in a pinch and when I have needed to flatten the belly, low carb and no sugar has worked for me.
  • EdenEC
    EdenEC Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    A couple of years ago my hubby and I lost a good bit of weight-- I worked out a minimum of 30 minutes 5 days a week- mainly cardio with a pilates session thrown in here and there and light weights. For my hubby the trick was higher fiber intake and less soda( even diet) hubby lost 40 lbs in 3 months. For me it was higher fiber intake and extra water. We stopped eating white carbs all together ( no potatos, no pasta other than whole wheat and no white rice). I dropped 15 lbs. Sadly, at this time I have reverted to my bad habits and gained my 15 and then some. Good luck with the weight loss!
  • jbiancad
    jbiancad Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I also have the same problem. I have heard that cutting out sugar works. I have yet to try it though because im a major sugar addict :indifferent:
  • saintspoon
    saintspoon Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    It was once explained to me this way: Your body is like a fancy swimming pool, you cannot empty the deep end before the shallow end, it is physically impossible! If you are apple shaped (I am too!) then you are stuck that way till you lose enough fat. If you were skinny & gaining weight the tummy would be the first thing to get fat & it's gonna be the same way going down!

I know what I just said is depressing but it gets better!

When you start actually losing it's the apple females who have the best before & afters. As the belly goes down people can finally realize you have hips!! not only are you a slimmer version of yourself but you will also be an amazing hourglass! I love to say that an apple is an hourglass underneath :)

With the bigger tummy I would suggest to go more for the empire type waist or soemthing with a super duper corset to just hold it all in :) Make sure you're drinking lots of water to avoid bloating as well!
  • Jill_newimprovedversion
    Options
    I've lost a LOT of belly fat- AND several of my chin(s)= which I have NEVER lost before.
    And NO, I'm not doing much cardio at all- in fact, I just do A LOT of walking.

I have, however, eliminated High Fructose Corn Syrup from my diet

and I am taking Cinnamon as a supplement....

Is it helping? I can't attribute ALL of it to it, but it sure hasn't hurt either.
  • val071418
    val071418 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Look up exercises that work the Transverse Abdominis Muscle. Google should be able to find you some exercises that work that. That muscle is the one that works like a girdle. It wraps around. Also lots of cardio is what I have heard burns belly fat. Doing a lot of ab workouts wont get rid of the fat only strengthen the muscle under so it looks nice when the fat is gone! LOL.
    I also read recently, that a cup or 2 of good green tea, especially in the morning, will help with belly fat. I have started that a couple days ago so we will see if it helps!! Good Luck! Hope this helped!!:smile:
  • farrellb2
    Options
    I hear the Flirty Fitness Girl works, That is if your willing to act like a stripper in your own home, and spend a little bit of money for it
  • fitplease
    fitplease Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    ...I'll tell ya what...I've been doing the 30 Day Shred (just finished day 27) and I've noticed a HUGE difference in my belly/waist. From all the before/afters I've seen, women get GREAT results in this mid-section area. Don't be shy doing it....it's a nice tough workout but its only 20 mins...and results in a month?!?! YES PLEASE!!

I was going to recommend the Shred, too. I have had a pretty round belly myself, and this has made it a little flatter. I am not there yet, but there is definitely something about working the abs that can do wonders.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I am an apple, I just have to keep my BF% really down to go in at the waist and lower my risk of heart problems. As an apple, you can't afford to have even a few extra pounds.

I run quite a lot, which I think has helped lower my total BF%, I also do circuits and aerobics with resistance bands, which includes 15 minutes of abs.
  • soulpopcorn
    Options
    Definitely caught my attention cause that's me too! (apple) I think cardio was the way I seemed to get rid of the belly fat the many times I tried, ugh! But I know strength training was good for my posture and stronger core. It would be nice if there was some magical way, lol.
    Awhile back I read about something from Prevention Magazine about a diet plan, called the MUFA---MonoUnsaturated Fatty Acid- flat belly diet? Never got disciplined enough to try it though. Congrats on your wedding! I hope you find the perfect dress and don't give up!
  • elzianne
    elzianne Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS, so it makes me gain weight around my tummy very easily. I've found that cutting back on sugar, reducing dairy, getting good exercise, and upping my fiber are the key ingredients for me.

1) Sugar is usually the #1 culprit in weight gain around the tummy, so you might see a big difference just by cutting back sugar (cut back but stick with natural sugar! A piece of fruit is always better than a processed sugar-free candy in my book!).

2) Dairy causes bloating for a lot of people, even if you're not lactose intolerant! Our systems just have problems processing dairy... and going back to #1, milk is pretty high in sugar. Try swapping milk for unsweetened almond milk, and if you do eat dairy try to do things like replace a dollop of sour cream with a dollop of low-fat Greek yogurt. If you're not crazy about cutting out dairy, consider taking probiotics.. they can help your body process the dairy you ingest.

3) Of course, exercise goes hand in hand with getting your diet in check. Cardio is the best way to shed calories and help slim down that tummy area. Of course, you'll want to do ab exercises and all over strength workouts to build muscle (the more muscle you have, you burn more calories doing the same things). Ab exercises are great for tightening and toning, but keep in mind that you can't spot reduce. A million sit-ups a night won't get rid of extra weight around the middle on its own. You have to pair it with diet & cardio.

4) Increasing the amount of fiber you eat by incorporating more fresh veggies & whole grains will help in the long run... just be aware it could make you a little bloated at first until your body adjusts to the change :) It will pay off in the long run!

Everyone's body is different, but these four things have been key in helping me to whittle my middle :) While you might find other things that help you even more, I would be surprised if these don't at least help a little!
  • goodasgoldilox165
    goodasgoldilox165 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    LOL that title caught your attention huh? :laugh: SO I am working out doing cardio and weights, but seriously, who here has lost a bunch of belly fat? I am an apple. Straight up apple. All of my major fat is in my tummy. I wear a 22 in pants but a 28/30 in shirts! this is making finding a wedding dress impossible. It's horrible! I tried on size 32 wedding dresses and they didn't fit because of my fatty apple tummy! SO i have read and read and read about how belly fat is the hardest to get rid of and I want to know how people did it. Did you just do cardio? Did you do any ab exercises? Did you eat something magical (haha yeah right). I want details!
    Hi -I'm also an apple+ I've always found that belly fat is just the last stuff to go - it seems to hang on until you reach close to target weight. It returns first too!
  • lili200
    lili200 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    you know all there is about diet, so I add my 2 penny:
    1. some kipping yourself from saying whatz in your heart. say everything out loud!! its not a joe, it works!!
    2. watch trinny and sussana:how to dress like and apple. find nice clothes and love yourself!
  • Givemewings
    Givemewings Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I'm not done yet, but running seems to be doing it for me. The C25K plan ( free) is great and I have almost finished this. And my tummy is going, slowly. I had never run before i came on MFP in june, now I am running half an hour. The program is gentle starting with walking with small intervals of jogging. Good luck!