Add On's in Smoothies

Options
When researching what to put in my smoothies, I find out about all of theses crazy powders and superfoods that people use. There is maca, goji berries, wheat grass, wierd gel things, etc. Does anyone buy into this? I am not sure if these are worth the really expensive price tag. I always add raw hemp to my smoothies and maybe some chia seeds but that is the most creative I get when it comes to powders. I always use whole fruits and spinach or kale.

Replies

• ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    I'm with you - mine have spinach and kale, then flax and or chia seeds, then whatever fruit I have fresh or frozen. I don't feel the need to buy the other stuff. Your whole food smoothies are healthy as they are! A friend adds spirulina to hers but I haven't tried that yet.
  • Happy0326
    Happy0326 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Im interested to know also...thanks for posting this. I have been only using fruit, spinach & kayle also. Can't wait to see. :smile:
  • Thankilates
    Thankilates Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Nah, not really. LOL I have been been given various powders over the years for birthdays and Christmas! LOL I have tried the Raw Protein, the Vega and also Pro Greens. My husband bought a green powder mix of kale, spirulina and something else- kale and seaweed i think... Sometimes I'll add chia seeds and sometimes flaxseed... BUT that is as adventurous as I get. LOL

I think when you eat whole foods you have NO problem getting all of your nutrients. I think these powders are good for traveling and better than nothing. BUT i do like my flaxseed because of the whole omega 3s and I dont do the fish oil. I do like Chia because they are amazing, but I hardly ever use them. LOL I'd rather sprinkle them on my salad.

Whole foods is ALWAYS better. I don't even add protein to mine anymore. LOL AND I think doing green smoothies is the way to go! I rarely have all fruit smoothies and if I do, it's because I want a "dessert." LOL

Great topic! :)
  • cowboydan43
    cowboydan43 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Mmm I'm getting good ideas from this! I'm a newbie at green smoothies but my only real add-on is spinach. I also prefer using almond milk to soymilk in smoothies, I think it makes it so much more creamy& flavorful. I actually hate almond milk by itself.
    I have tried adding wheat germ before and it made for a really awful, gritty texture.

What is Chia?
  • exacerbe
    exacerbe Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of chia seeds, ground flax seed, fresh fruit, wheyprotein powder, and organic lactose free milk.
  • MrsLVF
    MrsLVF Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I have 2 favorite smoothies
    :
    1 scoop Vanilla EAS protein powder+ 6oz iced coffee. It tastes just like Starbucks Frappuccino, but no guilt!

1 scoop Vanilla EAS protein powder + 6oz water +with any frozen fruit. My favorite is strawberry or peach
  • live2dream
    live2dream Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I like goji berries, cacao powder & nibs ---> adds a bit of crunch :)

Amazing Grass Chocolate is a yummy superfood powder and Sambazon Acai Powder is great too ..

I also like to add spinach
  • a_smaller_steph
    Options
    I do silken tofu and fruit. A little oj for flavor. Delish!
  • bettyboop573
    bettyboop573 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    not really....i am a huge fan of the chia seeds though or ground flax....tried some help protein powder since I am trying to stay away from some of the more synthetic ones, but havent got onboard with that taste yet lol
  • Vegan_Chick
    Vegan_Chick Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    not really....i am a huge fan of the chia seeds though or ground flax....tried some help protein powder since I am trying to stay away from some of the more synthetic ones, but havent got onboard with that taste yet lol
    The taste was horrible when I first tried hemp, but now I mix it with my smoothies and can't really taste it
  • JulieSD
    JulieSD Posts: 567
    Options
    I put hemp hearts in my smoothies everyday. They are awesome!! I am pretty boring...look at my diary and 6 days out of 7 you'll find my smoothie. soooo good :)
  • Vegan_Chick
    Options
    I put hemp hearts in my smoothies everyday. They are awesome!! I am pretty boring...look at my diary and 6 days out of 7 you'll find my smoothie. soooo good :)
    What are hemp hearts?
  • ttsamous
    Options
    Whole foods has their own protein powder which I like. But someone recently told me that "all those protein powders" are really bad for you...Has anyone heard anything about this? I use it as a substitute for a meal once in awhile.
  • JulieSD
    JulieSD Posts: 567
    Options
  • live2dream
    live2dream Posts: 614 Member
    Options

interesting! must get some!! :D

in other news, i'm such a dingbat...I was looking at the photo on the website thinking ... mmmm that looks just like a pot plant! Well, duhhhhh :ohwell:
  • Vegan_Chick
    Options
    Whole foods has their own protein powder which I like. But someone recently told me that "all those protein powders" are really bad for you...Has anyone heard anything about this? I use it as a substitute for a meal once in awhile.
    I believe its the processed protein that they are talking about. I mainly use raw hemp protein which is really good for you!
  • weelee87
    weelee87 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    hemp protein and flaxseeds are about as exciting as i get. I do love putting tahini in too but I'm not very adventurous. Someone mentioned silken tofu... totally forgot about that!!! Getting that when Im next shopping :)

Looking forward to some exciting suggestions from people though...
  • Thankilates
    Thankilates Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Oh yes, silken tofu is quite yummy! Super smooth, like adding yogurt! I am just obsessed with whole foods I guess!

Oh and I second what VeganChick says about protein powders...

Also, our country actually has an OVER-abundance of protein in our diets, there really isn't any need to add it. Even as a veg, I get all I need and then some! Granted, i eat a lot of fruits and veggies and whole grains as opposed to eating Frito Lays, pancakes and white flours! LOL
  • kje2011
    kje2011 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    fresh/frozen fruit, drop of almond extract, greek yogurt, almond milk, ground flax seed, peanut butter, whey vanilla powder, spinach
  • suzibrew
    Options
    I don't mean to be dense but do you just put fresh spinach leaves in these smoothies? And can you taste it? How much do you put in?

I could use more veggies and I like this idea but I am not very creative in the kitchen.

thx,
    susan