Couch to 5K

Options
For those of you doing the Couch to 5K program.... do you do it outdoors or on a treadmill?

Replies

• ardavis23
    ardavis23 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I do mine on the Treadmill....I would like to do it outside but I live in Alaska, and I am such a whimp about being cold. Plus it is going to start snowing here in a few weeks
  • lbeasey
    lbeasey Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Both...depends on the weather. I push myself harder on the treadmill with speed and always at an incline!
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Treadmill.
  • techymum
    Options
    outside while I can.
  • tinkerbella01
    Options
    Treadmill...I find I can push myself more with set speed and inclines, whereas if I was outside I'd probably walk the whole way.
  • sarah_ep
    sarah_ep Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Outside.
  • kittycatmeowmeow
    kittycatmeowmeow Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Back in the day when I was all motivated and doing this challenge I would do it in the morning outside.. It was so lovely on a quiet summer morning just as the sun was rising.. now im a lazy bones and cant get out of bed!!
  • daherald519
    daherald519 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I would really prefer being outside, I find the treadmill soooo boring. However, I find that by using the treadmill, I control my pace better which doesn't lead to an asthma attack ;) I am only in the first week, so I hope that after a few weeks, I can transition outside with a better concept of how fast I am going. Good luck!
  • MrsT_2009
    MrsT_2009 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I haven't completed the full program but got halfway through it using the treadmill. I tried to switch to running outside at that point and couldn't do it, I had to go back a few weeks! I guess it depends on your goal, if you want to actually run in a 5K race, I say go outside. If you are just doing it for fitness/weight loss, treadmill may be fine.
  • a_stronger_steph
    a_stronger_steph Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I was on the treadmill till week 6 or so - partly because I wanted to be able to be forced to keep my pace, and partly because I just wasn't comfortable with the idea of running outside until then. Then it got cooler out and I decided to start taking my runs outside. I use the RunKeeper app on my phone (needs GPS) to tell me my pace. I am dreading the inevitable snow, because running outside has just been awesome. I don't even need music to distract me!
  • Edithrenee
    Edithrenee Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    outdoors
  • ical50
    Options
    Outside.
  • amazing_grace♥
    Options
    Outside!!
  • garrarda
    garrarda Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Both. In the wee hours of the morning I don't want to be out in the dark so I do the treadmill. On the weekend though I would go outside and it seemed a little tougher. Treadmill for consistancy and outside to enjoy the scenery.
  • ccmccoy09
    ccmccoy09 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I started on the treadmill but now I'm outside. I feel like it's a harder workout, it's more pleasant, and I can adjust my speed at will. I'm not looking forward to moving it inside when it starts getting dark earlier. :(
  • irisherin82
    irisherin82 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I havent started the program yet, but want to and was curious what most everyone else does... which is the reason for the question. I have a lot of hills round me (steep ones) but I could make a route thats not so bad. I was going to go to the gym in my complex the other morning and start the program, but there were too many people in there already. With that being the case I might have to do it outside. I have a 5K to run in Nov and would really love to be able to run the whole thing and finish with a better time than I did last year :)