Dealing with judgement

Options
Clover_girl
Clover_girl Posts: 3 Member
edited August 2022 in Challenges
Hey everyone! I'm new here and I wanted to ask y'all a question because it's kind of an awkward one and idk where else to ask it. How do y'all deal with judgement? Like judgement from people who don't understand why you're trying to lose weight. I'm not overweight (I'm 118.6 lbs and a lil under 5'4), so I feel like most people wouldn't understand why I'm trying to lose weight, so I've mostly kept my weight loss goals a secret. My reason for wanting to lose weight is simply that I am unhappy with the fact that I've gained weight recently so I wanna slim down a bit so I can feel more confident in my body. I'm literally just doing it for myself, and I feel like that's pretty valid, but I'm so afraid of people judging me, thinking I'm vain or shallow or have an eating disorder or something, that I feel the need to hide it from others. If any of y'all are in a similar situation and have advice, I'd love to hear it, so thanks in advance :)

Edit: Sorry, I posted this in the wrong section! My bad!

Replies

• threewins
    threewins Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    I guess the solution is to limit the number of people who know you are intentionally losing weight. Another solution is to find a "valid" reason for weight loss, rather than an "invalid" one such as not liking what you see in the mirror.

There was some discussion of my weight loss 10 years ago at work which included asking my supervisor whether I was ill. I've decided this time if anyone asks the dreaded "why are you on a diet, you don't need to lose weight?" to just say I want to reduce my snoring. That's probably a "valid reason" for the majority of people and they'll accept it. Yes, it sucks having to justify losing weight but I see it as minor compared to the effort required to lose in my case 32 kg.