Misguessing

Options
So I generally guesstimate servings because I eat at a dining hall and honestly don't need people calling me anorexic for bringing measuring devices. Also, I eat mostly veggies anyways. But how much uncertainty should I give myself room for?

Replies

• vettermr
    Options
    I have to do that sometimes and I can notice that when I do measure out like I need to, I definitely always over estimate. Our eyes always like larger things I think so I definitely would cut back more than you think.
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't be too concerned when it comes to vegetables. I see you're vegetarian...

As long as they're prepared decently, eat all you want. They gotta do some effed up stuff to em to make them unhealthy. Any sauces, marinates, dressings you might wanna look out for though.

Also, generally most carbs are pretty high-calorie (assuming youre tryin to lose weight). So I'd sugest limiting that.

As far as drinks go, naturally water or something calorie-free is your best bet. Tea or coffee is decent too, and both have a fair amount of antioxidents.

There's a few guides and books that discuss buffet choices which is basically what I'd say you're eating. You could probably look em up online.
  • arispawild
    Options
    I have to do that sometimes and I can notice that when I do measure out like I need to, I definitely always over estimate. Our eyes always like larger things I think so I definitely would cut back more than you think.

Um, I get fairly small servings. I've never been a super sizer, so I'm pretty decent at estimating.
  • JessStapes
    Options
    It's been my experience that people (including myself) tend to under estimate what we eat. We assume we are eating less than we actually are. I use a food scale at home, but I'm not about to bust out my measuring devices when I'm out at a restaurant . check out this guide for estimating portion sizes, I found it pretty helpful.

http://caloriecount.about.com/article/when_you_cant_measure_estimate_portions
  • whatwentwrong
    Options
    i estimate a lot of stuff, but i bake a lot so my guess of a tablespoon is usually pretty accurate. maybe try estimating some stuff at home and see how accurate you are? and overestimating is better than underestimating, so if you're not sure go for the higher amount :)