Mixing cardio bursts and lifting weights - your experience?

Options
In an effort to maximize time but also maximize my training, I've started adding short "cardio" bursts between my lift sets. At this point I'm keeping it simple and trying to do things that won't have too much effect on my lifting - so x# of jumping jacks, jump rope, etc. I'm building up into it, as I just started doing this.

I think this will be great for my sport as it does seem to replicate a lot of what I go through - bursts, short rests, power, burst...

I get other forms of steadier "cardio" in the form of hiking and barn chores, but was wanting to up the ante and really get the HR up a bit more without adding yet another workout to my days (or trading off lifting)

Just curious if people found other benefits or drawbacks. My training is primarily focused on a combination of what I enjoy and training in a way that benefits me on track, so not worried about a slight slowdown on my lifts but don't want to trade off/lose entire days of lifting.

Replies

• michael6186
    michael6186 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    In an effort to maximize time but also maximize my training, I've started adding short "cardio" bursts between my lift sets. At this point I'm keeping it simple and trying to do things that won't have too much effect on my lifting - so x# of jumping jacks, jump rope, etc. I'm building up into it, as I just started doing this.

I think this will be great for my sport as it does seem to replicate a lot of what I go through - bursts, short rests, power, burst...

I get other forms of steadier "cardio" in the form of hiking and barn chores, but was wanting to up the ante and really get the HR up a bit more without adding yet another workout to my days (or trading off lifting)

Just curious if people found other benefits or drawbacks. My training is primarily focused on a combination of what I enjoy and training in a way that benefits me on track, so not worried about a slight slowdown on my lifts but don't want to trade off/lose entire days of lifting.

There's a few things to observe and consider here (in no specific order):

*Your specific track event
    *How far out you are from competition
    *Your chronological age
    *Your training age
    *Your goals
    *Your current training cycle focus
    *Your specific limitations

Just to name a few things...

So what you're doing could help or hurt depending on the various factors above.

Considering your goals to maximize time and your training a pro to your methods would be burning more calories and working on your cardio all at once but a con could be not using the right methods to target the right adaptations for your specific goals and needs.

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Personally I think it's a really poor idea for most people and being out of breath while lifting will compromise your training. Most of the people I've trained with like that tend to plateau very quickly in terms of strength. Months later still huffing and puffing, still using the same weights.....

When short of time (a lot of my "training lifetime" I was time restricted) I instead lifted heavy in circuit training style alternating upper/lower, push/pull. That might be an option for you to create some time for a proper structured cardio training portion of time where you can push to much higher levels of sustained intensity.

If the sport you are talking about is motorcycle road racing I'm don't really agree your proposed training style is that good a match. More like rugby modality....
    What duration of races to you commonly do?
    Have you tracked your HR during your races?
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,514 Member
    edited August 2022
    Options
    Wrong thread, sorry.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,973 Member
    edited August 2022
    Options
    *Your specific track event
    *How far out you are from competition
    *Your chronological age
    *Your training age
    *Your goals
    *Your current training cycle focus
    *Your specific limitations

-Motorcycle road racing on a "big" bike.
    -Female, 44, need to lose some weight, but upper body strength and strength endurance in particular can be a problem on the bike.
    -I took this year off competing at all (other reasons), shooting for next year which will kick off in February/March - so lots of time in front of me to change up my routine as needed (which will likely happen as I get closer)
    -Training on and off most of my life, not a newbie to training, but haven't had great consistency since 2019
    -Right now, overall fitness, but attempting to replicate the cardio plus needing the strength in there. -Add in, I hate - as in loathe - most cardio training (including circuit, HIIT, bicycle...about the only thing I like is hiking) but I WILL go lift weights.
    -Limitation - I can't run (fubared ankle), can't high jump, can't do certain lifts that require more ankle mobility than I have...most other injuries I have some PT type moves I keep in my routines so they aren't problematic.
    sijomial wrote: »
    Personally I think it's a really poor idea for most people and being out of breath while lifting will compromise your training. Most of the people I've trained with like that tend to plateau very quickly in terms of strength. Months later still huffing and puffing, still using the same weights.....

When short of time (a lot of my "training lifetime" I was time restricted) I instead lifted heavy in circuit training style alternating upper/lower, push/pull. That might be an option for you to create some time for a proper structured cardio training portion of time where you can push to much higher levels of sustained intensity.

If the sport you are talking about is motorcycle road racing I'm don't really agree your proposed training style is that good a match. More like rugby modality....
    What duration of races to you commonly do?
    Have you tracked your HR during your races?

Yes, it's moto road racing. Sprint races, so 6-12(ish give or take) laps at an average of ~1.5 min/lap, so about 9-18 minutes of actual racing (plus warm up laps, cool down laps, red flags...).

Only tracked my hr a couple times at a trackday, at the time it was well below my training hr, but that was a few years ago and I haven't been that consistent in my training the past 2 years (not none, but not the consistency I had then). Changing that, want to not hate my workouts though too.

I've worked with a few trainers over the years who are familiar with the sport, some who were more familiar with training women vs men - what I'm doing currently is more about getting back into shape and preparing me to move to one of the targeted programs late this year/early 2023. Some of the programs I enjoyed more than others, one in particular was the best prep plan (which I provided a lot of feedback and he more put together the specific moves/lifts based off my desires and needs).
    ~~~~
    So, not a newbie to this, but haven't tried this particular approach before - and just curious if others have ever tried it. I know it's not ideal for building strength or ideal for cardio, not even the ideal training prep, but with my current state (of being more out of shape for me than not), needing to lose ~15-20 pounds, and a good 7 months of time in front of me, I was enjoying it at the moment and thought it may be a good way to get going on both while keeping the enjoyment factor there.

If things start to plateau, I'd know real quick and would adjust, not like I'm calling this the be all and end all, just something to try for a while.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    With your races being 9 - 18 minutes long I'd really suggest you should be building up your cardio training sessions to match both duration and intensity.
    The coverage I get of MotoGP where sometimes the top riders have their HR displayed it tends to be pretty consistently high for the entire race duration and the micro "rests" on the straights really have very little impact on HR recovery.
    On some of the circuits (like Silverstone) I raced on with relatively light weight / low'ish power bikes yes I could be quite passive on the straights but with your "big bike" you really aren't getting any useful recovery with the acceleration modern big bikes are capable of.

I used to do some 1 hour races too, that's quite a test of strength endurance, especially at one very tight and twisty track where you never got to 5th or 6th gears. Jelly arms....

I do get the thing about enjoying your exercise and it's a choice of sub-optimal training you do versus optimal training you DON'T do there's a clear winner.
    (Shame you don't like cycling - it's a very popular training choice for top riders many of which are exceptional cyclists too.)
  • michael6186
    Options
    -Motorcycle road racing on a "big" bike.
    -Female, 44, need to lose some weight, but upper body strength and strength endurance in particular can be a problem on the bike.
    -I took this year off competing at all (other reasons), shooting for next year which will kick off in February/March - so lots of time in front of me to change up my routine as needed (which will likely happen as I get closer)
    -Training on and off most of my life, not a newbie to training, but haven't had great consistency since 2019
    -Right now, overall fitness, but attempting to replicate the cardio plus needing the strength in there. -Add in, I hate - as in loathe - most cardio training (including circuit, HIIT, bicycle...about the only thing I like is hiking) but I WILL go lift weights.
    -Limitation - I can't run (fubared ankle), can't high jump, can't do certain lifts that require more ankle mobility than I have...most other injuries I have some PT type moves I keep in my routines so they aren't problematic.

So there's obviously a lot we couldn't know just by exchanging a few messages here so please don't take anything as gospel.

I can see strength and strength endurance being important factors but still, I'm sure you'd benefit from some form of cardio.

I think with 7 months out you can get away with what you're doing for now as long as you become more targeted once you're closer to getting back on the track.

I don't think it's the best method for your long term goals but I understand condensing things to burn more calories for your more immediate goals pertaining to your weight.

I would personally attack your weight goals with more focus on nutrition and start building more of a base for your strength.
  • HoneyBadger302
    edited August 2022
    Options
    Thank you both for the feedback - nutrition I'm already working on (generally if I'm working out I'm definitely focused on that) but not a steep deficit so losses are slow and come in waves (thank you body for being predictably unpredictable).

This experiment probably won't be a long term thing for me, maybe just enough where I'm back into my workout routine again and hopefully won't die in more intense cardio sessions lol. I do get some cardio in with my part time job - not the same as running, but I'm mucking stalls (and NOT putzing) for 90-120 minutes 5 days a week as well and I know per my FitBit my HR definitely is generally elevated into the "fat burn" cardio zone for half that time most days.
  • michael6186
    Options
    Thank you both for the feedback - nutrition I'm already working on (generally if I'm working out I'm definitely focused on that) but not a steep deficit so losses are slow and come in waves (thank you body for being predictably unpredictable).

This experiment probably won't be a long term thing for me, maybe just enough where I'm back into my workout routine again and hopefully won't die in more intense cardio sessions lol. I do get some cardio in with my part time job - not the same as running, but I'm mucking stalls (and NOT putzing) for 90-120 minutes 5 days a week as well and I know per my FitBit my HR definitely is generally elevated into the "fat burn" cardio zone for half that time most days.

Just wondering, why don't you speak with the PT you have been working with and ask them to help give you guidance?

You sound like you had pretty good success with them before. Are you still in contact?
  • HoneyBadger302
    Options
    Just wondering, why don't you speak with the PT you have been working with and ask them to help give you guidance?

You sound like you had pretty good success with them before. Are you still in contact?

Honestly? Money...it doesn't come free :) as it shouldn't, but I'm not in a position to pay right now.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    Personally I'd work on your muscular endurance by training one day traditionally for strength and another for muscular endurance. Cleans, squat jumps, etc. to emulate what you do for sport.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• michael6186
    Options

Honestly? Money...it doesn't come free :) as it shouldn't, but I'm not in a position to pay right now.

That's understandable.

I think you're best to work concurrently on your goals. Traditional periodization where you are only focusing on one goal per cycle and neglecting the others until it's their turn will hold you back more rather than putting your priorities at the front of the line and keeping maintenance loads on everything else.

As I mentioned before, it's going to be hard to give you personal advice on that specific level without knowing more about you but just per your sport and per your own goals and my experience, I would take this time to assess where you are in comparison to where you need to be on race day and start working those limitations.

There's no one size fits all when it comes to getting a program that will give you exactly what you need so rather than just following a generalized program from online or just trying to mimic your sport in the weight room, I'd focus on what you need personally. Once your 90 to 60 days out from competition, I'd start getting real specific by using actual race practice as your training while keeping a low volume with high intensity on your gym stuff.

There's a lot not being said here and I apologize for that but I think right now you should focus less on trying to make everything race specific and just build a program that's more focused on general adaptations that will help you transfer gym strength and conditioning to race strength and conditioning later on.