Do you really have to eat all 1280 Calories?

Options
Will I really gain weight if I don't eat all of my 1280 calories? Sometimes I just dont want to eat. I have a hard time trying to decide what to eat and then i just decide not to. Is this going to hurt me?

Replies

• NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Yes, not eating will hurt you. You need to eat in order for your body to function properly.
  • superstarcassie
    superstarcassie Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I eat way more than 1280 a day- I need energy to live/workout/survive!! If you truly measure with a food scale, 1280 doesn't really amount to a ton of food. I would suggest eating all your calories!
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    At first i struggled to eat all 120o base calories.. i was regularly under by about 200.
    I was just not hungry...
    but.. you have to train your body to expect it WILL get the nutrients it needs, and then it learns to start wanting that food!

Now i rarely eat under my calories at all, exercise ones included *L*
  • RAHJustice
    Options
    No. There will be days when you just aren't THAT hungry. I very often am under calorie goal, but it hasn't hurt me. If I'm not hungry I just don't eat them all - if I'm hungry sometimes I go a tad over...although I usually try to drink more water instead of going WAY over . But there will be days when you just don't need that many calories - let your body dictate if it needs them all. Sometimes you may need a "splurge day" and want to go over, but as long as that doesn't happen too often you should be fine.
  • Pril2000
    Pril2000 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I understand exactly what you're saying. I used to worry so much about what i was going to eat that I would end up not eating anything or eating something very small and not very healthy. Believe me, you will get past it if you stay prepared. Try packing your lunches and planning your meals a day in advance for a week. Just one week. When you get used to snacking/eating at certain times of the day and eating certain things every day, then you will be able to branch out a little more easily and not plan as much.

For instance, I eat a greek yogurt every day for my afternoon snack during the week. I also usually eat cereal with milk and coffee for breakfast. So, I can go in and add that stuff for the next day and know that I will definitely be eating that. Then I can work out what I"ll have for lunch etc based on what calories I have left.

Good luck. It will get easier, but you have to work at it and prepare for those hard days.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    11ea6584-b1ac-4131-a0ac-9aba330e8b08.jpg

Yes. :) Find what macros you are lacking in (carbs, protein, fat) and look for foods that are high in calories because of those things. If you need more fat, nuts are the best way to up your calories if you aren't too hungry. I loooooove almonds.
  • keenslk
    keenslk Posts: 126
    Options
    i def agree with the post above... it is best to listen to your body. there is no point over eating just for the sake of it... I am often under my goal as I cannot eat wheat or gluten so that restricts a lot of carbs which are high in calories and instead I have to eat more greens and fish etc. In saying that sometimes I am over my goal if I have a naughty day :)
    I think the calorie goal is an awesome goal but dont beat yourself up if you dont hit it all the time... better to be under than over though right ;)
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    This might help:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/186814-some-mfp-basics

Your calorie goal is already so low, it's important that you eat to your goal to provide your body with the nutrition it needs to function optimally. Under here and there is no big deal, but if you're consistently doing it, not a good thing.