cures for sore calves

Options
I walk regularly and it just wasn't pushing my heartbeat enough so I decided to get on my Elliptical. I did 45 minutes yesterday, now my left calf is sooooo sore. I only walked tonight to give it a break. I really want to get back on my Elliptical tomorrow. Do you have any solutions or cures for sore calves that might work? Should I wait till it gets better or push through the pain?

Replies

• calabrdm
    calabrdm Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Lay on your back with your legs up in the air. Put one of those workout bands or a hand towel around the ball of your foot and pull toward you,
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Make sure you have a protein shake (made with real sugar, not artificial sweetener) or at least a glass of chocolate milk immediately after working out. This will give your muscles the sugars and protein they need to recover and repair themselves. In the meantime just stretch it and take it easy.
  • wiglet23
    wiglet23 Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    I do calf stretches. I stand on the edge of a stair (holding the wall or rail for balance!) and lower my heels as far as I can, then raise up to tip toes. Repeat. My legs are sore from 5 days straight activity, I think my calves need a break.. so tomorrow is going to be a rest day for me. I keep reading our muscles need rest days to recuperate and strengthen themselves.
  • supertracylynn
    supertracylynn Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    Bump.

Been in continuous calf pain, both sides, for the last week and a half.
  • rwd5046
    rwd5046 Posts: 302
    Options
    Apply heat for 20 minutes then immediately apply cold for 20 minutes. Cycle this a couple of times and by all means stretch.
  • supertracylynn
    supertracylynn Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    I do calf stretches. I stand on the edge of a stair (holding the wall or rail for balance!) and lower my heels as far as I can, then raise up to tip toes. Repeat. My legs are sore from 5 days straight activity, I think my calves need a break.. so tomorrow is going to be a rest day for me. I keep reading our muscles need rest days to recuperate and strengthen themselves.

This is a calf raise, and this is part of why i'm sore. Google "calf stretches"
    My problem is that I've done them and still hurt.
  • sunshinel397
    Options
    I would suggest calf stretches and water. My calves always kill if I haven't properly hydrated. It's weird.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    I just recovered from a calf injury, but I do high impact cardio and I felt it go pop so it was unbearable to work through. I laid off it for a couple of weeks, with just walking and light stretching, rest, banana's (for the potassium) and some massage.

The elliptical is low impact so maybe you either didnt warm up/stretch first? Or your trainers are worn/ill fitting so one foot is sitting awkwardly? (I think I tore mine becasue my trainers were worn!!)

Only you can decide if you can work through it, but if it seems to get worse, then I wouldnt push it. Definitely make sure you warm up and stretch first.

Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • licha75
    licha75 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions. I think it's cause I haven't been on my Elliptical in over 10 years! My muscles are sore because it's new but not for long, I plan on doing this more often. I lost 626 calories for 45 minutes. When I walk for 90 minutes I don't even lose that much calories with my Hrm watch. I think I will try it out tomorrow and see, if it hurts too much I will stick to walking for now but will get back on that Elliptical. thanks again! :happy: