Affordable Heart Rate Monitors?

Options
Now that I'm a student a gym membership is completely out of the question, so I'm relying solely on what I can do out of my own home or around the neighborhood. I have no access to any equipment right now (and don't really have the space for it anyway) so I've taken to walking.

Now, I know that a three mile walk is a good place to start, but does anyone know of any decent, affordable heart rate monitors? I've found some online for around $10 which WOULD be amazing if I could trust them, and none have any reviews that I can find to tell me if they're reliable enough.

I want to be able to eat back most of my exercise calories and know that I'm not under or overdoing it.

Any help is much appreciated =)

Replies

• spammyanna
    spammyanna Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I really like my New Balance N4, it wasn't as expensive as the Polar ones, and it seems to do the exact same things. I found it on Amazon for around $60.
  • MissMollieK
    MissMollieK Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I really like my New Balance N4, it wasn't as expensive as the Polar ones, and it seems to do the exact same things. I found it on Amazon for around $60.
    just bought that from target around $70 for women style. Really like it and fairly simple to operate. Does the job, that's all I care:)
  • barbarabelk
    Options
    Thank you both! I might have to wait a few weeks before I can let myself by one but that sounds like it'll do!
  • 3shirts
    3shirts Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    If you have an Android phone, try this:

https://market.android.com/details?id=si.modula.android.instantheartrate&feature=search_result

It uses the camera to read your pulse which sounds really dodgy but works incredibly well. I have tried it at rest, out running and at the gym comparing each reading with a proper Polar heart rate monitor. It is always within 1 or 2 bpm!
    Best of all, that version is free or for £2 you can get one which has a few extra features like storing readings etc.
  • jkuhn71
    jkuhn71 Posts: 199
    Options
    If you'd really LIKE a Polar, know that not ALL Polar models are expensive. If you look around online you can get the FT4 model (which does give a calorie burn reading) for less than $90. I actually had a friend find one online that she was able to get for about $60 using an online promo code! It pays to shop around!
  • Fitwam
    Fitwam Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Hey thanks for asking the question barbarabelk! I have been looking at them online for awhile now. Even checked out consumer reports article. I can't decide which one to go with either. I am leaning towards the Polar ft7, but believe it or not Consumer reports didn't like it that much.
    Break down from CReports:
    Timex Personal trainer 5G971(overall rating 93) approx $50 (considered best buy)
    Timex Zone Digital HRM (rating 92) approx $75
    Sportline New Balance n5 (rating 90) approx $72
    Omron HR 100C (rating 88) approx $40 (considered best buy)
    Polar ft7 (rating 88) and approx $110

Even with all that being said...everyone here likes that Polar (or so it seems). I am inclined to go with those who are using them all the time and living in the "trenches". Still....I just can't decide. :tongue:

4146677.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • reese1206
    Options
    I have the PolarF6 and LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!!!!! Try ebay!