Afraid to eat ( looking for support)

Options
** Just want to say.. I am taking phentermine and I have heard all the reasons why its horrible.. I know how plenty of people feel.. please dont tell me how I am horrible for taking it or anything negative about my decision to take it.. I am under 2 doctors care =]. the phentermine isnt even the main reason for this post.. Thanks so much in advance =]**

Hi Friends!

Ok, I have a confession to make.. When I started the phentermine I had the intentions of eating 1200 cals a day.. a very healthy diet and regular exercise. I started out that way.. But, as time has gone on.. I am eating less and less.. even if I actually feel hungry I will only nibble on something like broccoli or something super healthy.. I havent drank anything but water since starting on August 22nd ( I am not sure if this is a bad thing or not). If I am completely honest.. I barely reach between 600-800 cals a day. Let me just say.. it is catching up to me. Friday night I was SUPER sick. I was in bed for 14 hours after working out because I didnt eat enough and burned about 600 cals. now, I feel nauseated everyday and today especially I have not had the energy to do anything.. everytime I get up I feel like I am going to pass out.. very lightheaded and I feel like puking.. This may be TMI but its important.. I havent REALLY gone to the bathroom in weeks. Its always VERY little bit. Not only is it catching up to me physically, but emotionally.. Thinking about what I am doing to myself and how I am literally AFRAID to eat.. Thinking about eating more than just a nibble here or there terrifies me that I am going to gain all the weight back that I have lost this past month.. But, I am going to do it.. I will NOT eat less than 1200 cals on any given day! Losing the weight super fast is great and all.. but not worth feeling like puking everyday and anytime I think about eating I instantly get turned away and feel sick to my stomach.. even if I havent eaten anything at all that day.. =[ IDK how I let myself get to this! I wanted to get 100% out of the phenterime which was only supposed to be a boost for me and I totally got out of hand with it. I am literally sitting here in tears over this... I dont want to be AFRAID to eat!!!! What is wrong with me?!?!?! I just hope that I havent completely messed myself up and that I can come back from this. I do plan on continuing the phentermine until my 3 months is up.. I am not going to blame my lack of eating on the pill.. I had 100% control over getting in a healthy amount of cals. I still totally believe if used correctly the phentermine is a great tool (short term of course)

P.S I hope no one bashes me for this. I REALLY just dont want to be fat anymore.. being big has totally ruined everything about me.. I just want to be myself again and not be overweight.. I let it consume me and get out of hand and I realize that and plan on fixing it.. with plenty of support and help from family of course =]

Replies

• jazzy020106
    jazzy020106 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    ** Just want to say.. I am taking phentermine and I have heard all the reasons why its horrible.. I know how plenty of people feel.. please dont tell me how I am horrible for taking it or anything negative about my decision to take it.. I am under 2 doctors care =]. the phentermine isnt even the main reason for this post.. Thanks so much in advance =]**

Hi Friends!

Ok, I have a confession to make.. When I started the phentermine I had the intentions of eating 1200 cals a day.. a very healthy diet and regular exercise. I started out that way.. But, as time has gone on.. I am eating less and less.. even if I actually feel hungry I will only nibble on something like broccoli or something super healthy.. I havent drank anything but water since starting on August 22nd ( I am not sure if this is a bad thing or not). If I am completely honest.. I barely reach between 600-800 cals a day. Let me just say.. it is catching up to me. Friday night I was SUPER sick. I was in bed for 14 hours after working out because I didnt eat enough and burned about 600 cals. now, I feel nauseated everyday and today especially I have not had the energy to do anything.. everytime I get up I feel like I am going to pass out.. very lightheaded and I feel like puking.. This may be TMI but its important.. I havent REALLY gone to the bathroom in weeks. Its always VERY little bit. Not only is it catching up to me physically, but emotionally.. Thinking about what I am doing to myself and how I am literally AFRAID to eat.. Thinking about eating more than just a nibble here or there terrifies me that I am going to gain all the weight back that I have lost this past month.. But, I am going to do it.. I will NOT eat less than 1200 cals on any given day! Losing the weight super fast is great and all.. but not worth feeling like puking everyday and anytime I think about eating I instantly get turned away and feel sick to my stomach.. even if I havent eaten anything at all that day.. =[ IDK how I let myself get to this! I wanted to get 100% out of the phenterime which was only supposed to be a boost for me and I totally got out of hand with it. I am literally sitting here in tears over this... I dont want to be AFRAID to eat!!!! What is wrong with me?!?!?! I just hope that I havent completely messed myself up and that I can come back from this. I do plan on continuing the phentermine until my 3 months is up.. I am not going to blame my lack of eating on the pill.. I had 100% control over getting in a healthy amount of cals. I still totally believe if used correctly the phentermine is a great tool (short term of course)

P.S I hope no one bashes me for this. I REALLY just dont want to be fat anymore.. being big has totally ruined everything about me.. I just want to be myself again and not be overweight.. I let it consume me and get out of hand and I realize that and plan on fixing it.. with plenty of support and help from family of course =]

Oh.. just wanted to let you all know.. my BF is out at subway getting me a 12" sub now.. =] Going to start getting in all my cals tonight! Lets hope I can actually keep it down with how horrible I feel
  • saadler
    saadler Posts: 116
    Options
    It sounds like it's time to talk to your doctor. This isn't healthy at all, and could lead to long-term problems.
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    My armchair thoughts are that you may have the beginnings of an eating disorder, something you do not have to suffer on your own. Talk to one of the doctors you're working with about this. What you are feeling is not unusual and you don't have to feel like this.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    my honest opinion is you might want to seek professional help. this is not bashing you, but being scared to eat is not normal and you may need help to overcome such a problem
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    I'm a bit confused on a doctor that would even prescribe phentermine to someone with an ED. Not bashing but it might be in your best interest to trade out docs and drop the appetite suppressant so your body stays healthy.

I realize you're young but a healthy body NOW makes all the difference later.:flowerforyou:

When we get impatient and want to drop the weight like yesterday, is when it's dropped far too fast and put right back on with another 50 friends.:grumble:

I'd much rather lose it at a healthy rate 1-2 lbs. per week on average than to take time to lose it, kill my metabolism and then regain it. Then try it to lose it all over again with a slowed down metabolism. Whew... thanks but no... I'll take the slow boat that's safer for my body.

I hope you reconsider taking drugs and eat like your brain is telling you too Hon.:wink::heart: You'll be so glad you did!
  • pcindyann
    Options
    please take care of yourself, you are a beautiful women. Take Care!!!
  • kthom
    kthom Posts: 175
    Options
    You might want to go slow at that sub or you will be sick. I hope no one bashes you on this site, we are all here trying to overcome our own struggles. I am glad to hear you are going to eat your minimum calories and do this healthier. food isn't your enemy it is your relationship with food that is the problem. good luck to you.
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    First off let me say that I am proof that you can lose weight without diet pills.

Next, you may gain some of the weight back that you have lost. Having lost so much weight so fast makes me believe that it is mostly water weight anyway and not a true loss. Besides after a while you are going to lose muscle mass and not fat. You might be skinny eventually but you will look and feel horrible. Do yourself a favor and consider stopping the pills asap.

You're a grown woman and you know the effects it can have.

Good ol' exercise and healthy eating is the only way to lose the weight, get fit and keep it off.

Please be smart about some of the decisions you are making where your body is concerned. Best of luck.
    This is a good place to get support and advice if you are willing to receive it.
  • Daisy374
    Daisy374 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    :/ this does not sound good at all... you should definitely either get off the pill and try doing it by watching your calories and exercising, or tell your doctors what is going on and getting their opinion... eating under 1200 calories is not good for anyone!!
  • drvvork
    drvvork Posts: 1,162
    Options
    I'm not going to bash you in any way, I'm concerned for you. You continue to eat less than you should you are putting your vital organs to risk. Maybe you can find a healthy treat (energy bar type) that you like to nibble on in lieu of the greens once or twice a day. It's just a suggestion.
  • LuluGirl140
    LuluGirl140 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I've been there too. I live in a border town and at one point I was taking diet pills and I don't even know what they were. I was getting injections in my problem areas and there really was no way of knowing EXACTLY what was going in my body. Until, like you, I started feeling sick. Really sick. It took something like that to happen in order for something to click. Thank God I didn't do any long term damage (that I know of), but now I'm determined to do it the right way, regardless of how long it takes.

Take this as a sign, an intervention. You need to change your ways. Since you're under doctors care, call them immediately and let them know what's happening. I hope this is the wake up call you need to get things moving in the right direction!
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    You need new Doctors. Stay healthy.
  • d13raven
    d13raven Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Jazzy, I think I agree with some of the others on this. There is no shame in asking for help. There are lots of cities that have support groups for people with eating disorders. I agree that you should talk with your doctor, you might have the beginning of one (eating disorder), at the very least talk with the doc about how you have progressed on your weight loss, your workout schedule and your current diet, see what he/she says.
  • eddiegirll
    Options
    I know how that is, to be hardly eating anything or even wanting to eat. I use to go on low fat diets & I would get this same way.

You must force yourself to eat!!!!!!!!!!!! Breakfast.....................Lunch.....................Dinner.................and several small snacks in
    between......................

What you are doing to yourself is setting yourself up to gain all the weight that you have lost back plus some.....unless you start eating. If you stop taking those pills your body has already went into starvation mode, & you will begin to start eating & eating.

So if you are under two doctor's care, have you spoken to them about this problem you are having about not being able to eat enough? I think the diet medicine you are taking is too strong. I took a diet pill one time for only one day, it was so strong that I didn't want to eat for two days afterwards.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Please see a doctor.
  • Amy911Gray
    Amy911Gray Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    I was like that in high school. Marching band, twirling practices...I was a size 8 and so were most of the girls--but we all wore all-in-one girtles! So I was a "size 5" and it caught up to me in a big way. So much so, that I made myself eat at least three meals a day and snacked all the time--which caught up with me after high school because the intense exercise was gone. I've probably gained and lost 5 normal sized people and it only comes with high stress, high anxiety episodes in my lifetime.

I think that the secret to losing weight is to first remember that you didn't gain weight over night. And as much as you want to be "thin" right this very minute, taking the weight off slowly is the best way to do it. And I was tired of being the elephant in the room.

I'm about 6 or 7 weeks into what I call a "eating change" plan. I set my calorie intake for 1000 calories and except for a couple of days (barbeque chicken pizza) I've done great. Losing weight was never this easy.

You can do this. get some friends on this site. Cheer on others...it will cheer you on too!! :)

A
  • Egilley
    Egilley Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    It takes a lot of courage to share your situation with everyone, especially at the risk of being denigrated for using the phentermine. I know how you feel as far as wanting to get that weight off quickly. I am so discourage that I still have 44 pounds to go. It seems like I wlill never get to where I want to be. But you are losing weight to improve your health and your self-esteem, right? It sounds like the phentermine might be exacerbating some pre-existing emotional issues you have with your weight. Can you increase your calorie intake slowly, just a little bit extra per day? Getting sick will only throw you off course. Energy won''t be there to support your exercise needs, you will be more prone to injury, and generally when you lose weight too quickly your body doesn't get the chance to adjust to the changes. You will feel and look sick, and I am sure that's not your goal. You need to stay hydrated and healthy. Please keep your spirits up and try to get in more calories. We want you healthy.
  • JIsh09
    JIsh09 Posts: 158
    Options
    I would consider speaking with your Doctor about this issue,before it gets worst. As far as the bashful people ignore them hun! Most of us are on here to help others,as well as get help for ourselves. Make sure you keep hydrated with fluids,sometimes not having enough fluids can also make us feel ill. Good luck with everything :)
  • smallerd
    Options
    It's not healthy to eat that less. Please start consuming more calories. Feel free to add me as a friend.
  • jazzy020106
    jazzy020106 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    ok a few things lol.. First.. I dont have nor have I ever had an eating disorder.. I can agree that I may have the beginnings of one.. but I never have before..Also, I was given the phentermine because I have a super severe case of PCOS with insulin resistance that went on for years and I never knew about because I had no insurance and never went to the doctor.. So, the doctor thought it would be a good boost since me losing weight on my own now is close to impossible... Also, I have lost weight on my own before.. I lost about 35 lbs in 5 months by eating 1200 cals a day and exercising.. So its not like I CANT do it.. It was just with the PCOS being so bad my doctors thought I could use the help.. Ok... I am going to read the rest of the replies