Too much fiber?

Options
Is there such a thing as too much fiber? I'm consistently 10-20g above my daily recommended fiber intake...is there something I should be doing because of this, like drinking more water? I don't feel like the high fiber is affecting me adversely, but I dunno...

Thanks! xoxo

Replies

• kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it, if anything you may be more gassy.
  • dragonbug300
    dragonbug300 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    The default on here is a minimum, not a maximum. You should go over. Even double would be okay.
  • frugalmomsrock
    Options
    Yes on the water! If you have a high fiber diet and not enough water, you'll get backed up. Don't want that! I usually have around 50 g. a day as a minimum...today is 67. I have had 18 glasses of water with it though.
  • spinachdiva
    Options
    Phew! Good to know. Thanks everyone. I do love my fibrous foods. :)
  • roblow65
    roblow65 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Because colon cancer runs runs very strong in my family, I see a gastroenterologist on a regular basis, I asked him if you could get too much fiber. He said no, generally you cannot have too much fiber, it's a good thing to have a lot of. :happy:
  • MisterDubs303
    MisterDubs303 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Couldn't help but think of this:
    colon_blow.jpg

Watch it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaUogmewRyc

Seriously though, I don't think a lot of fiber is going to do any harm.
  • ChristieisReady
    ChristieisReady Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    YES YOU CAN GET TOO MUCH FIBER!
    According to Lisa R. Young, who is not only a PhD, RD, but also the author of The Portion Teller, you can absolutely get too much fiber. She says, "While fiber has many wonderful health benefits, getting too much fiber is not a good idea. The main reason is this: it can bind and carry out needed minerals such as iron, calcium, and zinc which so many people have a hard time getting. These binders in fiber act as chelating agents which link chemically with nutrients and then carry them out of the body. Too much fiber can also carry water out of the body and cause dehydration, stomach distress and feelings of bloating. It is recommended that most women obtain 25 grams of fiber. While 30 grams would be ok, consuming 40 or 50 grams would be too much!" So there you have it. No more ODing on fiber!

I got this from an article on hungry-girl.com

Also, check out these sexy side effects of suddenly greatly increasing your fiber:
    Cramping--Cramping occurs because the body cannot properly break down fiber. If too much fiber is consumed, food digestion can be momentarily slowed or even stopped. This can lead to intestinal cramping and discomfort.

Diarrhea--If you increase your fiber intake too suddenly, then your body will not have enough time to adjust. One of the biggest benefits of fiber is that it increases the speed in which food moves throughout the digestive tract. By consuming too much fiber, you may increase this speed too much, which can lead to diarrhea.

Malabsorption--According to Colorado State University, because fiber binders to other foods, fiber could bind to nutrients and eliminate these minerals and vitamins without the body being able to absorb them. By eating too much fiber, you may interfere with how your intestines absorb certain minerals. Often, too much fiber can lead to the malabsorption of calcium, magnesium, iron and zinc. Despite this side effect, this malabsorption is typically so minimal that it does not cause for much concern.

Constipation--If you eat too much fiber without enough water, then you may become constipated. The body’s digestive tract requires fluids to help move things along. If you do not have enough fluids in your system, then your intestines will not be able to work properly and you may become constipated.

Intestinal Gas--By eating too much fiber in a short amount of time, you may experience flatulence, bloating and intestinal gas. This occurs as a reaction the natural bacteria in your digestive tract has to the fiber. To avoid this side effect, simply gradually increase your fiber intake so the natural bacteria can adjust to the fiber.

Intestinal Blockage--An intestinal blockage would be the worst side effect you could get from consuming too much fiber. This occurs when an individual eats too much fiber and does not consume enough water. Fiber can cause a blockage in the intestines, preventing any other foods to get past. Intestinal blockages can be serious health conditions and may require surgery.

To avoid these side effects, simply gradually increase your fiber intake over a few weeks. When increasing your fiber intake, make sure to also increase your fluid intake. It is recommended that you drink at least 8 glasses of water a day.

This is from an article on fitday.com. Of course, it didn't say at what amount of fiber these problems occurred. Also, fiber affects different people differently. I have a friend who explodes if he eats a fiberone bar, whereas I barely notice a thing.

All I know is more fiber needs more water to process it. Drink up! :drinker:
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of too much fiber. Some Asian cultures get 70+ grams a day and there is no evidence whatsoever that it has adversely affected them.
  • ChristieisReady
    Options
    I've never heard of too much fiber. Some Asian cultures get 70+ grams a day and there is no evidence whatsoever that it has adversely affected them.

What is your source for this information?
  • Rilke
    Options
    I initially read it here:

http://www.faqs.org/nutrition/Erg-Foo/Fiber.html

but it becomes self-evident if you look at the enormous amount of vegetables, raw fruit, and legumes in traditional Asian cuisine. Even if 70 is a high estimate, eating that kind of diet (which few would argue is unhealthy) doubtless contains at least 40 grams of fiber per day. Heck, I often get that much.

Also, I tend to doubt anything found on a site such as Hungry Girl, who touts health but encourages horrible eating habits. Fiber carrying nutrients out of the body won't be a problem if you are getting your fiber from natural sources, which are rich in said nutrients:

http://health.nytimes.com/health/guides/nutrition/fiber/overview.html

You just need to drink plenty of water avoid digestive problems and help the fiber do its job.
  • ChristieisReady
    Options
    I do agree that hungry-girl does encourage dubious eating practices. Encouraging the use of fake sweetener is not a good thing.

BUT I think the important point isn't really the amount of fiber, rather the source of the fiber. If you are getting massive amounts of fiber from unprocessed plant sources, then you are also ingesting tons of micronutrients, so no harm if some get pulled away in the process. However, if you are getting your fiber from mostly supplements and processed products, you're likely not getting as many micronutrients and so their loss could be a problem.

What we have to think about is that most of us are NOT preparing legumes and vegetables and fruits ourselves and many people are using fiber powders and high-fiber grain-based products. That's what I think we need to be mindul of.

That and sudden increases in fiber. Your body needs to ramp up to it. I think I may have cut my gastro-intenstinal tract last week by piling on tons of veggies without much fat to process them with.

(Note: I do not have a degree in any of this. I just read a lot. And some of what I read is bound to be wrong sometimes.)
  • Rilke
    Options
    I do agree that hungry-girl does encourage dubious eating practices. Encouraging the use of fake sweetener is not a good thing.

BUT I think the important point isn't really the amount of fiber, rather the source of the fiber. If you are getting massive amounts of fiber from unprocessed plant sources, then you are also ingesting tons of micronutrients, so no harm if some get pulled away in the process. However, if you are getting your fiber from mostly supplements and processed products, you're likely not getting as many micronutrients and so their loss could be a problem.

What we have to think about is that most of us are NOT preparing legumes and vegetables and fruits ourselves and many people are using fiber powders and high-fiber grain-based products. That's what I think we need to be mindul of.

That and sudden increases in fiber. Your body needs to ramp up to it. I think I may have cut my gastro-intenstinal tract last week by piling on tons of veggies without much fat to process them with.

(Note: I do not have a degree in any of this. I just read a lot. And some of what I read is bound to be wrong sometimes.)

It sounds like we are in complete agreement. I too believe the key is the source of the fiber.
  • jumcadam
    jumcadam Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I was wondering / worrying about this too - great post!

I have a lot of green veggies, fruit and legumes in my diet so don't feel so worried now!
  • ChristieisReady
    Options
    Just to make sure that no one gets intestinal blockage, here is an exerpt from Rilke's referenced article (on too much fiber)
    Problem with High-Fiber Diets
    Including fiber in one's daily diet has definite benefits. However, although very uncommon, fiber has the potential to cause harm if taken in excess of 60 or 70 grams daily. "Since fiber carries water out of the body, taking too much can cause dehydration and intestinal discomfort or gas," (Boyle, p. 84). Large amounts of fiber require a high fluid intake. Therefore, as one increases fiber in the diet, water intake must also be increased. If one does not consume enough fluid, then one's stool could become very hard, resulting in difficult and painful elimination.

Fiber speeds the movement of foods through the digestive system. Since iron is mainly absorbed early during digestion, high amounts of fiber may limit the opportunity for the absorption of iron, calcium , and other nutrients. Finally, large amounts of fiber can also cause deficiencies of nutrients and energy by causing one to feel full before enough nutrients have been consumed. Children and elderly persons are especially vulnerable to these concerns, since they eat smaller portion sizes.

In conclusion, fiber is an important element of the diet and provides several health benefits. Eating balanced meals containing whole grain and fresh fruits and vegetables will ensure meeting the proper recommended allowances.

Read more: Fiber - calcium, food, nutrition, body, diet, absorption, health, nutrients, eating, carbohydrates, weight, water, soluble, Types of Fiber http://www.faqs.org/nutrition/Erg-Foo/Fiber.html#ixzz1YniGOgdp

So I guess... just like when driving in traffic, don't go over 70. Also, drink lots of water.