This is probably a stupid question

I hear people say that they feel better after they start eating right. I feel more sleepy. I have not added a lot of extra activity yet and it has not been busy days either. I thought maybe the weather, but still have to question if it can be the diet.

Replies

• flinchyny
    flinchyny Posts: 106 Member
    Did you cut out caffeine from somewhere? Were you eating a lot of sugar and now not so much?

Some people say that they go through actual withdrawal when they cut out sugar or processed foods and feel not-so-great for a week or so.

How long has it been?
  • hi

Look at your diet see what you are eating make sure you are eating food with good protein to give you more energy
    also start walking a little bit everyday .
  • lukybug
    lukybug Posts: 209
    It's hard to say why you feel more sleepy. Could be that your body is adjusting to the fewer caloric intake? Have you had your iron and all that good stuff checked recently? Especially with this lifestyle change, I would recommend seeing your doc if it continues.
  • Pangui
    Pangui Posts: 373 Member
    We probably all have slightly definitions of "eating right". I noticed an immediate change in my energy level almost instantaneously. I am never tired (unless it is time to go to bed). I have energy all day and feel the urge to move around more. It is such a change for me and I really like it.

But my dietary changes were much more significant than most people would attempt, despite the amazing benefits. I not only have more energy, but my seasonal allergies are gone after a decade and all my minor aches and pains disappeared.

As of June 12, 2011, I switched to a whole foods plant-based low fat diet. Surprisingly, after cutting out the foods that I was addicted to (like cheese), my taste buds changed and I enjoy the taste of the healthy foods more than ever before. You are welcome to look at my diary to see what I eat. I had so much food today, that I am feeling overstuffed as I type this and according to MFP my calories barely topped 1000.
  • atabt
    atabt Posts: 58 Member
    Just a thought but check to see that you are getting enough protein relative to carbs and fat. I try to stick to a 40-30-30 ratio (carbs-protein-fat). Too many carbs at one sitting puts me into a carb coma, no matter whether it's good carbs or bad. I try to find things with a low glycemic index - this means the sugar in the carbs is absorbed into your bloodstream slower, avoiding the coma. Hope this helps!
  • I always feel sleepy and grouchy the first few days back on plan. Even if I'm eating enough... I just feel --- blah. I think it's my body adjusting to less sugar/carbs? Even if I'm not eating a bunch of cake and ice cream before it's obvious that watching what I eat makes me tend to cut back on the processed carbs. I also think that this time of the year our bodies take a little dip - I see it with friends and family who aren't on a weight loss journey so perhaps its' a combo effect? The good thing is that sleep is one of the best things you can do to lose weight so just let yourself sleep as much as your schedule allows while you adjust - maybe that's just what your body needs!
  • KeepGoingRhonda
    KeepGoingRhonda Posts: 527 Member
    I felt terrible the first week or so then started to feel better as my body adjusted to the changes, good luck to you!
  • flinchyny
    OK, after looking at your food diary for the past 4-5 days, it seems you are eating very few carbs and way fewer calories than your goal. One or both of these could be the culprit (especially if you used to eat a lot of carbs or way more calories).
  • photo_kyla
    photo_kyla Posts: 322 Member
    Eat smaller portions at meals and then have some snacks through the day. I've noticed that when I cut my calories, I get sleepy between meals. My theory is that it is a drop in blood sugar, but i haven't tested it. I have some yogurts and granola bars that are 100 calories each that I keep on hand to boost my alertness between meals, and light string cheese is only 60 calories per stick (and so easily portable). just make sure to account for the snacks in your calories and choose something with protein or complex carbs to avoid a sugar spike.
    Good Luck!
  • cloneme_losehalf
    cloneme_losehalf Posts: 356 Member
    I have cut out all caffiene. I have only been on here a week. As for the food diary it shows I am going over in protein and fiber. I am high on sugars (mostly natural). Low on carbs. Was just curious if it was something that warranted a dr visit or something to watch a while before going.
  • Jennieam
    Jennieam Posts: 300 Member
    I love "stupid" questions, as there is an increased likelihood that I will know the answer. However I don't think your question is stupid at all.

From your signature, it appears to me that you have lost 10 lb in only a few weeks (or was that in a prior attempt)?

Are you eating all of your "exercise" calories? Are you spreading your calories throughout the day? Are you getting tired at a particular time of day? If so can you change your eating (or exercise) pattern?
  • cloneme_losehalf
    flinchyny.....carbs and calories before???? UGH!!! I ate Fast Food at least once a day and on most days 2 and even 3. If not FF it was definitely processed quick fix foods. I can only imagine the calorie intake before starting here!!!

Thanks for all the input. I will see if it balances out during this week. I will try the different avenues of advice and see if any work.
  • flinchyny
    Since it's only been a week, and you're off caffeine and mega-carbs cold turkey, it's likely that's why you're tired. Nothing to worry about.

You might wanna add some more healthy carbs, though -- like sweet potatoes, brown rice, whole grain bread, etc.
  • cloneme_losehalf
    Jennieam.... I am still trying to figure out when to fit in the exercise. Night works best for my schedule but then I can't sleep. I have not had many exercise cals to eat. I have been under calories daily because I feel like every time I turn around I am eating something. I truly feel I eat more now than I did before. I guess I need to try to up the calories and fit exercise in sometime in the morning or afternoon somehow. I am groggy and grumpy in the morning so I have never tried because I never felt it would amount to much without any motivation behind it then. I will force that for a couple days.
  • cloneme_losehalf
    I really appreciate each of you taking the time to help me with my question!!! Thank you!!
  • TooFatToFit
    TooFatToFit Posts: 285 Member
    Honestly, I find it is the being active that charges me up the most. I have been very, very sedentary since my teens. I am a lazy person and like quiet, stationary hobbies...but let me tell you, after I force myself into doing some exercise, I feel great! I think it is a combination of 'greats'...the good feeling of having got my butt off the chair even though I didn't feel like it, the good feeling of endorphins my brain released because of the exercise, the good feeling that I've taken another step towards my goals. I can't describe it except it feels wonderful and keeps me going. Now that I'm reacquainted with that feeling, I know the sleepy feeling is just a fickle friend that I can shake off anytime I want to with a little movement. So, I guess what I'm saying is...maybe it might be time to incorporate the activity into your new lifestyle.
  • Jennieam
    Jennieam Posts: 300 Member
    ,,. I guess I need to try to up the calories and fit exercise in sometime in the morning or afternoon somehow. I am groggy and grumpy in the morning so I have never tried because I never felt it would amount to much without any motivation behind it then. I will force that for a couple days.

It can be difficult to find the "extra" time sometimes. I must admit to getting up very early to take my dog for a walk - but then I am a morning person!

Even a 15 minute walk at lunchtime (or whenever you start to feel tired) and a healthy snack might help...

Good luck ...
  • nowornever47
    nowornever47 Posts: 333 Member
    Another thing to try too, is making sure you get enough potassium... my husband noticed he was feeling weird and a little shaky with an unusual heartbeat lying down one night... low and behold while reading up on it low potassium can do that! So, when we looked it was extremely low for both of us. I like to add Lima beans in with mixed veggies for a quick increase or bananas help too. Good luck, hope you feel great soon!! And no - it is not a stupid question as I think it happens to a lot of people. I agree with the theory of enough protein and exercise will eventually help once your body gets more used to it.
  • BFitzie
    BFitzie Posts: 14 Member
    Oh yeah, I was exhausted the first few weeks! You'll adjust eventually. I find protein helps. Try to up your protein anyway you can and see if it helps. Taking naps is great if you can. Give yourself a break and enjoy it :-)
  • Mmmary212
    Mmmary212 Posts: 410 Member
    Increase fats (good fats...coconut oil, animal fats)...that'll give you a boost of energy physically and mentally and you'll be fuller longer and magically eat less throughout the day.