How do you do it?

Options
Dear MFP,

there are tons of people looking for their lost motivation. there are also tons of responses offering help to that posters situation.

here is my question...

how do you stay on track? motivated? how do you keeps saying no to the ding dongs and yes to the carrots?

its not a question that i have seen asked before... maybe i just missed it when doing a forum search...

just curious what makes you tick... what makes you wake up each morning and say no to cake! yes to carrots! (yum... carrot cake.... *drool on chin*)

Curious in Akron, OH

Replies

• nakabi
    nakabi Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Looking at my 2 children is how I do it. Knowing that I want to be there when they start pre-school in a few years, take them to futball practice, stay up late at night waiting for them to come home from their first date, watching them dance their first dance with their spouses, giving me grandkids....those are the reasons :)
  • PJFaber
    Options
    it is the knowing that I feel so much better overall if I leave that ding dong alone. It's the knowing that I can be the best me when I am fitter. It's the knowing that one bite of a ding dong does not have to ruin my whole day. It's the knowing that like that little engine "I think Ican" " I know I can.!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • beautifulbrat
    Options
    Dear MFP,

there are tons of people looking for their lost motivation. there are also tons of responses offering help to that posters situation.

here is my question...

how do you stay on track? motivated? how do you keeps saying no to the ding dongs and yes to the carrots?

its not a question that i have seen asked before... maybe i just missed it when doing a forum search...

just curious what makes you tick... what makes you wake up each morning and say no to cake! yes to carrots! (yum... carrot cake.... *drool on chin*)

Curious in Akron, OHon

I wont lie, I still have a piece of cake or something sweet every ONCE in a blue moon. But mainly I say no to cakes and yes to more fruits and vegetables because I want to be healthy for myself and the people around me. When you look good and feel good, you tend to be more confident and confidence makes a person sexy. Plus when I look at my family history, a lot of it is caused due to being overweight and I do NOT want any of them problems......if I can help it.
  • SamMorBelsmom
    SamMorBelsmom Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    First and foremost, you will have bad days when the ding dong is louder than the carrot when calling your name. Second, you have to find what makes you tick. I myself, am still looking for something that will just keep me out of the ding dong isle at walmart. Third, if it was easy, no one would be fat or have a need to lose weight or stay in shape. I am also thinking that I may have a thyroid issue but am trying not to put the blame on anything else but myself. I ate that ding dong, I took the second peice of wonderful garlic bread. Then the next day I bust my *kitten* on the treadmill cuz I feel guilty. We all need to find the motivation...the voice that kicks our *kitten*. I am hoping this web site will help. If you want to add me as a friend...I might be able to hold you accountable. Or just be a friend.
  • jjhbeautiful
    jjhbeautiful Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I read something in Dr. Amen's book about losing weight and it says to find your reasons for losing weight, is it because you want to look good in your jeans, for your health, for your family, there could be a thousand reasons. My reason is because I have a mixed connective tissue disease and I want to maintain my health so that I am able to function and accomplish all my goals. Another suggestion that I have and use is I don't buy the ding dongs or the chips or any type of junk food. I don't have them in my house at all, so I won't eat them when I am craving them. We are all different, so what motivates us will be different, what motivates you in other areas of your life? Once you figure that out, maybe you can use it for the eating part and exercise part. :)
  • jenfos
    Options
    It's hard. I stay on track by telling myself it's ok if I get off track once in a while. Our doctor actually told us that if you do the same thing over and over and your body gets used to it, it will get stuck and you won't lose weight. He said that if that happens, you should eat bad (not over the top bad, but just a little more then normal) and that it will help get your body unstuck and back to losing weight. So it's ok to have that ding dong once in a great while, just not everyday.

Something else, is setting a goal to works towards. Something a couple of friends of mine did was they went out and bought new outfits that they wanted to fit into by a certain time. They didn't go get size 2's and want to be in them by Christmas, but something that was well within reach. They set a date and then both worked towards their goals. By the time they set came, they were both able to fit into those outfits and they went and had dinner and movie together to celebrate.

Keeping in mind that it's a little at a time and not being too hard on yourself, i think, are two key things to getting to the end goal.
  • lzarate
    Options
    Nothing taste as good as being my perfect weight feels. It's a thought building, attitude thing. Have you ever noticed that you never wake up in the morning saying, "Boy, I sure wished I had eaten a big bowl of ice cream yesterday". Once you get your head around the fact that the craving is a temporary thing it's a whole lot easier to out last the craving.
    Distract yourself. I go outside and do something. Maybe just walk around and observe nature. Change your surroundings, force yourself to move, every little bit counts. It's a really great feeling to establish a will power that is stronger than a craving. I laugh now at the thought of a silly thought in my head saying, "you want it, just one bowl". Yeah, right bozo, I'm not trashing all of my progress because some temporary thought just erupted with some goofy craving.
    Nope, get out of my head, I'm in control of my thoughts and you aren't invited.....
  • babyfatbegone
    babyfatbegone Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Nothing taste as good as being my perfect weight feels. It's a thought building, attitude thing. Have you ever noticed that you never wake up in the morning saying, "Boy, I sure wished I had eaten a big bowl of ice cream yesterday". Once you get your head around the fact that the craving is a temporary thing it's a whole lot easier to out last the craving.

I love this. I try to think about how I will feel later, after it's eaten. It goes the same for working out. When I really don't want to, I know I'm just going to kick myself later and regret not doing it. My downfall is ice cream...if I want it I make sure I log everything and stop the toppings when I'm out of calories.
  • MandaJean83
    MandaJean83 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I laugh now at the thought of a silly thought in my head saying, "you want it, just one bowl". Yeah, right bozo, I'm not trashing all of my progress because some temporary thought just erupted with some goofy craving.
    Nope, get out of my head, I'm in control of my thoughts and you aren't invited.....

Haha, I love this!