Should I lose weight or bulk up my abs?

Options
Sorry for the pictures, but here is a "progression" of my abs even if I think it is not really changing

https://imgur.com/a/KVIrgg9

What should I do? Because I feel like I lost fat everywhere but the belly fat.

Same for the workout, I don't feel like they are developing. My usual eating day is hot chocolate, then eggs or hams with cheese for breakfast + snacks everytime I am hungry during the afternoon + chicken for the dinner + a cup of milk or a snack before sleeping.

Edit: I also do a workout on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Right now I'm trying to do 3X10 each for Hollow Body Rocks, Hanging Leg Raises, Chest Dips, and Chin Ups.

Do I need to eat more stuff with proteins for muscle growth? Or do I eat less to lose weight?
Tagged:

Replies

• briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    Abs are made in the kitchen, not the gym (the old saying goes…).

In order to reveal your abs you have to get your body fat % down enough where they are able to be seen, and unfortunately for most people, especially men, the last place we lose weight is, you guessed it, our abdomens.

The exercises help (that way you have something to show off!) but you’ll need to continue to lose weight in order to show them off.
  • loiicnguyen1
    loiicnguyen1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    briscogun wrote: »

In order to reveal your abs you have to get your body fat % down enough where they are able to be seen, and unfortunately for most people, especially men, the last place we lose weight is, you guessed it, our abdomens.

Do I need to be at 6% body fat? Because the Navy body fat calculator is telling me that I'm somewhere around 9%. But maybe they're wrong?

• Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,514 Member
    edited August 2022
    Options
    Do I need to be at 6% body fat? Because the Navy body fat calculator is telling me that I'm somewhere around 9%. But maybe they're wrong?
    I've read the Navy estimate is quite accurate, but it's still off by up to 3% for most people. No offense, but I don't believe you're as low as 9%, although I can see huge progress in two months.

Regardless, as mentioned already, they are made in the kitchen.

Working your abs will help, but even then you have genetics to consider. It may not be feasible to get to your ideal, even if you get your body fat low enough, also how long can you sustain that low body fat for?

Are you getting enough protein? Target close to 1g per pound bodyweight.
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,473 Member
    Options

No, you don't have to get down that low. This infographic isn't perfect, but it's a reasonable estimate.

And no, you're definitely nowhere near 9%.

wzgctoy4mm3f.jpg

• rippedwriter1
    rippedwriter1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Right on abs are make in the kitchen.

I would drop the hot chocolate and the milk before bed.

Also, you can include some inverted rows, and overhead presses.

You can also use the old bodybuilder trick of upping the protein and dropping the carbs.

Get yourself a good quality mixed blend or even straight whey protein and have that instead of the milk before.

I don't want to recommend a brand because I do not want to look like I am recommending something.

Keep working and you will get there.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    "Because the Navy body fat calculator is telling me that I'm somewhere around 9%. But maybe they're wrong? "

It's wrong for you. It's also wrong for me, it might be OK for some - it's highly variable for different people.
    Maybe OK for tracking progress but can be very misleading for actual numbers. Tape measure and progress photos probably superior for you.
    Your pictures show clear progress in what is quite a short time period.

• azuki84
    azuki84 Posts: 212 Member
    edited August 2022
    Options
    lmao even i know i'm not 9%. i've been there and it feels like *kitten*. some people might be able to handle the hormone imbalance though *wink
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    briscogun wrote: »

Looking at your pictures, you're definitely not 9%. I would say you're likely mid to upper teens. It's a little hard to tell with pictures...but definitely not 9%, that would be very obvious. Visual abs are generally in the 10-12% range which is pretty stinkin' lean.
  • rippedwriter1
    rippedwriter1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I would have to say to forget about the body-fat calc and just go by the mirror.

That will really always be your best guide.

The thing is everyone is different, by this I mean some people hold water--while others don't--and the ones that don't could have slightly higher body-fat and still show good abs because they don't hold water.

Coming up in bodybuilding the general rule was to not start bulking up until your body-fat was below 10 percent--and for my money I would want until you get down even a little lower than that.