back again; but also, why am I so bad at this?

Options
I don't mean to sound negative, I really don't. But I just saw that I've technically been a member here for 7 years (!); I'll check in and be diligent about eating healthy, exercising, etc for a few weeks (months max) at a time. And I do see some small results even during these brief attempts, but I can't for the life of me stick with it. Any little thing will derail me and then I "fall off the wagon" for months to years. Now I'm in my mid 30s, at my highest weight and slowest metabolism ever. I want to believe this time will be different, but I'm not sure how.

Replies

• JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,477 Member
    edited August 2022
    Options
    sonreir wrote: »
    Now I'm in my mid 30s, at my highest weight and slowest metabolism ever.

What makes you think you're at your slowest metabolism ever? If you're just referencing your age, banish that thought - human metabolism is remarkably stable from ages ~20-60 (reference: Pontzer et al. Daily energy expenditure through the human life course. Science. 373(6556):808-812, 2021)

In your prior attempts, how aggressive of a calorie deficit were you in? Did you drastically change WHAT you ate (eg, forcing yourself to eat stuff you really didn't care for)?

Did you actually ENJOY the exercising you were doing, or did you hate every minute of it?

Did the changes (cooking, exercising, etc) integrate into your lifestyle fairly seamlessly, or did they massively interfere with your normal schedule?

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,204 Member
    Options
    Changing your lifestyle is hard. On the last, did you overhaul your life in one go? How about trying a gradual approach this time?

Food:
    - start by just logging your food intake as it is. That will give you good insight in what are high calorie foods and portions.
    - set up your goals on MFP. Resist the temptation to choose a great rate of loss. Durable weight loss requires changing your lifestyle, not 'getting to the final line quickly' because there is no finishing line.
    - reduce your food intake to reach your calorie goal. Don't overhaul your diet, eliminating foods you like or forcing yourself to eat 'healthy' foods. Just eat the food you like and are used to in more suitable quantities
    - after that is working, you can think about tweaks and easy substitutions to more easily reach your calorie goal and feeling satiated: lower calorie alternatives, more filling foods (more protein or fiber, for example), etc.

For exercise:
    - great for health, optional for weight loss
    - the best exercise is the exercise you'll actually do: choose something you like
    - don't set yourself an exercise frequency that isn't realistic long-term. Start slow: taking walks a few days a week for example, being more active in daily life (stairs instead of elevator, parking further away from the shops...). Add in exercise gradually, building habits gradually.

I lost 75 lbs since 2019 with that approach. Eating the foods i like, becoming more active gradually. Quite painless really.
    Don't think of yourself as being 'bad at it', you just haven't found the strategy' that works for you yet.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Why can't you stick with it? What changes do you make during that time and why aren't they sustainable?

You've got to make changes you can live with for the rest of your life. Those changes are highly personal. For example, I've learned I cannot cut chocolate and ice cream out of my diet forever. I have to allow those items in my diet or I will freak out and binge. So, I allow myself 300ish calories for dessert every night. This helps me stay on track for the long term.
  • KL1887
    KL1887 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Make changes to your diet that you know you can stick with forever. While you’re losing weight you reduce the size of the portions you eat and you adjust what kinds of meals you plan on having that fit your calorie goals. As you get to maintenance weight you can increase the cals so that you’re not gaining it back but also not losing anymore.

There isn’t a wagon to fall off if you change your mindset that this is a permanent shift to your diet and lifestyle.
  • wigg3697
    wigg3697 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    If you are anything like me, I can do everything right but the moment I sign up to the gym or miss a session that's it. So now I look for challenges. September is Steptember-10000 steps a day for Cerabal Palsy, October is ride for kids - Meeting a km ride challenge for kids cancer, and February is swimming for Starlight Children's foundation. Having the challenge and smaller period of time commitment makes it easier for me. I'm not great at the fund-raising side (I don't do social media) but it raises awareness, and I make a small self donation as a thanks for the inspiration.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,584 Member
    Options
    Most people try to lose weight fast. Most people buy into a lot of pretty-dumb weight loss myths that marketers push for profit, and they don't keep profiting if we don't repeatedly regain and need to lose again.

Instead of trying to lose weight fast, maybe try to lose weight in the easiest, pleasantest possible way for you as a unique individual. That will take some experimenting, and it won't happen fast, but it's hard to fall of the wagon when there's no wagon, y'know?
  • pippin44
    pippin44 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Wow. I can relate to how you feel. The story is the same….the people are different.