Calories in a day

Options
How many calories do you eat in a day to lose?

Replies

• IAmTheGlue
    IAmTheGlue Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Use the goal calculator. You put your own stats in like height, weight and activity levels. The app will calculate the calories you personally need to lose weight.
  • callyhockey
    callyhockey Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I shoot for 1800-2000 to maintain a 1-2 pound loss per week
  • JustRamona
    JustRamona Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I hit a brick wall in August. Actually gained 0.1 pounds since August 1st. First time since I began on March 1, 2021. In total, I have lost 163 pounds, so I had a lot to lose. Also, my BMR is 1342 with moderate exercise, for someone who now weighs in at 167 and is 5' 4". Took .25" off my waist though - must be some muscle and weight shift. I am targeting 1200 calories a day per the app I could shave a few calories off - but I'm going to wait and see how it goes in September
  • willboywonder
    willboywonder Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I'm right around 1350 daily. That helped me to lose 1-2 pounds per week. At my ideal weight, I still stay there, and the weight fluctuates up or down a pound or two. But I generally stay around my same weight.
  • OnTheRoad24
    OnTheRoad24 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I set mine at 1800/day. I don't mind going over a bit but try not to more than once or twice a week and very rarely two days in a row. Also, I try not to use any 'exercise adder' calories...

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,109 Member
    edited September 2022
    Options
    How many calories do you eat in a day to lose?

If you mean 'you' as specifically me: I lost weight eating 1700-2100 calories a day (depending on my activity/exercise level). I'm a 5ft5 woman.

If you mean 'you' as a generic you, use MFP's goal settings to get an appropriate goal for your personal stats.
    How much someone else eats isn't particularly relevant. Even with identical stats, actual calorie needs can still vary.
  • mjcavey
    mjcavey Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have several different targets depending on whether it is a workout day or rest day.
  • Hungry_Annie
    Hungry_Annie Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Im currently at 2700ish calories. I lose slowly eating that much, which I'm fine with because I love eating. I have more energy to power through workouts, and I'm just much happier.
  • Sand_TIger
    Sand_TIger Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    It varies a lot. I have to stay under around 1450 to lose anything. I have a very small frame and am not very tall so any extra weight I carry is still very obvious, because even as a woman most of my weight is around my midsection, not up top. Agreed with what AnnPT77 says, those are important words to pay attention to.
  • mjglantz
    mjglantz Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I started out at 2,000/day knowing I'd been eating well over that amount and I wanted something do-able; this was at least 500 cals/day less than I'd been eating. As I lost weight I eventually got to 1,600. Now I'm maintaining at 2,000/day. When I started I weighed about 225 and was 5'8" and 61 years old. Much, much more active now and weight around142 and 72 years old.
  • azuki84
    azuki84 Posts: 212 Member
    edited September 2022
    Options
    i maintain 2700, i play around with this number. 5'4'' 130lb, 11%bf. i want 135lb EOY
  • phayden116
    phayden116 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just began my weight loss surgery and started at 338 a week ago. I am on a rapid weight loss plan as I have a hip replacement coming in December and wanted to be at least under 300 or more for a better recovery time. I am on a 1,000 calorie a day intake, high protein, low carbs, low sugar. So far this is working for me; I am not taking any appetite suppressants at this point. I clocked in at 329 today, so 9 pounds but much is likely water which again I am fine with. I FEEL better. My ideal, blue sky weight is 150 but one step/day at a time. I didn't get to 300+ lbs in day so its going to take a little time to get back down and maintain.
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    During loss I ate between 2000 and 1500, depending on where I was in the process/how much I weighed at the time.

I've been maintaining within a couple of pounds of 125lbs for about a year. I'm 5'5. My maintenance calories MOST of the year are about 2000 - if averaged over a week because I am just not that rigid; I have high days and low days. During winter it'll probably drop to more like 1800, if last year is accurate.

• happysquidmuffin
    happysquidmuffin Posts: 651 Member
    edited September 2022
    Options
    I am 5’3” and moderately active. I average over 11K steps a day lately. I jog in the morning about 3x/week. I’m F, 35, and am an omnivore but don’t eat a lot of meat. Currently about 139-140 lb. Goal weight 125. I can eat about 1,800 net calories on average and still be losing weight.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!