Why am I not losing?

Options
Hi all,

Has anyone else experienced this? I've been so consistent with tracking within my suggested calories, exercising every day and I am not seeing any results at all. I'm so frustrated!! It's been 2 1/2 weeks, 14 days on 30 day shred and I haven't lost pounds or inches. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Replies

• chollingshed74
    chollingshed74 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    low water intake maybe?
  • Leslietheriot
    Leslietheriot Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Probably building muscle. Don't give up. Keep at it and you will start to see results. Just remember that you did not gain weight overnight and you will not lose it overnight either.
  • Ashley395
    Ashley395 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Are you tracking your sodium intake? If you are eating a lot of sodium that could be it! Also try to up your water intake!
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    Different approaches work for different people. One strategy that helps me break a plateau is zig-zagging my calories for a week or so.
  • zeeeb
    zeeeb Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I don't know, but in the scheme of things, 2 weeks is not much. As long as you are not gaining and as long as you are not quitting, you are doing the right thing.

I've been in plateau heaven for 3 months now. I'm not giving up... It's frustrating, but I know if i just keep on keeping on, my body will eventually decide to comply and let go of some more of it's precious fat....
  • rachemn
    rachemn Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    2 weeks is still early on but maybe you need to look at other factors. I think different diets work for different people. Some do better on low carb/high protein diets. Others do best on a weight watchers points system. My best friend just needs to go with low calorie and low fat to lose weight.

Also sometimes when people first start a new fitness/weight loss program their body goes into shock and tries to hold on as long as possible and then they see a sudden drop in weight.

Don't give up yet, but maybe you need to change your eating habits. What time of day are you eating all your calories? Are you spacing it out?
  • inkatia88
    inkatia88 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have been like this the past month, my body has hit one heck of a plateau, don't listen to the scales measure your waist, hips, thighs, arms and chest keep a recording of each measure in every two weeks, this has pushed me to to keep working out and doing what I have been doing!!! Even if the scales are not shifting my shape is, from reading information regarding the plateau & how to over come it check this out

Here are 2 tips to combat plateau:Â
    1. Once weight loss has come to a stop, don't focus on the scale. Weigh yourself every few weeks and concentrate on healthy eating. Keep your calories the same.
    2. After reaching a plateau, If you have not loss weight for several more weeks, then slowly increase calories by 100 - 200 for the first two weeks.
    Then increase calories by another 100 - 300 calories for the next two weeks. The reason for gradually increasing calories is to slowly increase your metabolism without gaining weight. By slowly returning to your pre diet calorie consumption, you stay in control of eating habits. Once you lose control of your eating habits, it's all over! You'll never lose weight and keep it off.
    Taking a break from a restricted calorie diet while maintaining normal calories for your weight will raise your metabolism and give you more freedom over the amount and types of foods you can eat. After several more weeks or months (when you're ready), reduce by 500 to 600 calories. The weight will gradually fall off again.

Source : http://caringonline.com/eatdis/reports/other_reports/weightlossplateau.html
  • aa1440
    aa1440 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Let us see your food diary and we can better help you. It's hard to give you and answer without knowing what and how much you are eating.
  • mrspenton2009
    mrspenton2009 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that muscle weighs more than fat. Don't give up...it will be so rewarding!!!!
  • frugalmomsrock
    Options
    Just wanted to say that I only lost 2 pounds in the 25 workouts I did (that took me longer than 30 days because life happened), but I lost a total of 9 inches. I didn't start really noticing inches lost until that last stretch, too... so don't give up!

Other than that, in order to get specific about what you may do differently, you'll have to unlock your diary. ;)
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    2 weeks is still early on but maybe you need to look at other factors. I think different diets work for different people. Some do better on low carb/high protein diets. Others do best on a weight watchers points system. My best friend just needs to go with low calorie and low fat to lose weight.
    Don't give up yet, but maybe you need to change your eating habits. What time of day are you eating all your calories? Are you spacing it out?
    I agree, it's not just about how much you eat and how much you exercise. "Calories in / calories out" works for some people, but your body is more complex than that! It's also *when* you eat and what *kinds* of things you eat. I was never able to lose weight until my doctor had me space out my calories and eat every three hours. I'm not hungry that often, I had to set the alarm on my phone to remind me, but it's working great!
    He also adjusted my ratio of carbs / fat / protein to fit my particular metabolism (the US recommended numbers, used by MFP, are usually too high in carbs & low in protein for a lot of people. You have to manually adjust them to what works for you). Also, eat your carbs right before a workout; they provide quick bursts of energy. But for times of the day when you're just sitting, eat slow-burning protein instead.
  • theba2il
    theba2il Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Hang in there!! I've been trying to lose weight since April. Joined MFP in July. I've been up and down 3lbs. I want to lose 20.

This week I'm starting to feel better. 2 weeks ago, I decided to go wheat/gluten free and eat a lot less dairy. I've learned that my digestion doesn't tolerate wheat/gluten and dairy. Terrible bloat, sinus and congestion were my symptoms. My weight on 8/31 was 149.7 and today I weighed in at 146.8. I have an app on my phone that has a graph. I enter my weight in every morning. When there is a spike, I look at the previous day diary to see what I ate if my sodium wasn't too high.

So don't give up!!
  • RedMuse
    RedMuse Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Dont give up you can do this,

Also, muscle doesn't weigh more then fat. 1 pound of muscle = 1 pound of fat.

the difference is the density of the tissue muscle is more compact and tight, while fat is just well fat.
  • ybodwen
    ybodwen Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the support and ideas y'all.
    Going to try to up the water, cut sugar and carbs, eat more whole foods and have patience.
    If anyone is interested in seeing my foods you can add me.

Thanks!!
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    It's my personal opinion that MFP undercalculates calorie goals. I wasn't losing at first, then I bumped up my calories and started losing consistantly....then I got excited so I reduced them again and gained 1lb in a week. Apparently our bodies like food.
  • kevin3344
    kevin3344 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Go to Settings > Diary Settings > Diary Sharing and change to Public...although 2 weeks isn't that long. Be patient you will eventually see results.. :)
  • _Ben
    _Ben Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Make your diary public.

I didnt have any weightloss until my 3rd week personally. Also try to workout on a daily basis
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    Dont give up you can do this,

Also, muscle doesn't weigh more then fat. 1 pound of muscle = 1 pound of fat.

the difference is the density of the tissue muscle is more compact and tight, while fat is just well fat.

Everyone knows 1 lb of muscle weighs the same as 1 lb of fat. When people say "muscle weighs more than fat" they are obviously referring to volume. I cubic inch of muscle weighs more that 1 cubic inch of fat.
  • Kushgetti
    Kushgetti Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    less salt more h20 and switch up ur exercise routine....dont give up
  • ybodwen
    ybodwen Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Finally lost some! Woohoo! Guess it just took some time for my body to adjust to the changes (3 weeks!)
    Thanks all.