My medications make it so hard for me to lose weight :[[

Options
i just saw my doctor and he weighed me on the same scale i weighed on 2 months ago when i was 156lbs and I was excited and expecting to have lost weight since i've been using this site and trying to exercise and what happens- I am 162lbs now :[

It's really hard to tell what the problem is because i take over 7 medications a day and many of the cause weight gain... I just don't know what to do because i need all my medications,but it just makes it so hard to lose weight...

I feel like i'm working so hard to move forward, but i just keep going backwards....

I am working my butt off every day and I have been pushing myself to exercise even though my fibromyalgia has been really bad lately and this is what i get!

It is things like this that make me feel so down on myself.

I know it's not my fault I was born with all these health issues, but i still cry about it all the time.

I just don't know what to do....

Replies

• ivansmomma
    Options
    Please don't be down on yourself. I have posted many times that I have the same problem. My meds are anti-rejection drugs, Prednisone and some others for a kidney transplant I had four years ago. I do believe some people use this as an excuse to not lose weight, but my sis-in-love takes meds for fibromyalgia and has had problems with her weight as well. All you can do is eat healthy and get exercise. I realize also that with the fibro... it's not easy to exercise. All of this is a lifestyle, whether or not you're living with a medical condition or just trying to lose weight. If you want, you can friend me and we can encourage each other. Take care and stay with it!!
  • lindalou4850
    lindalou4850 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Don't give up..Just keep dieting and working out.You will loose.Just give it some time.
  • pauljsolie
    pauljsolie Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Check out the book "Never Be Sick Again" by Dr. Raymond Francis.
  • stangma
    stangma Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Medications will def make a difference to weight. Keep a healthy attitude. Food choices and activity levels that are both healing will make a great impact on how you feel.

PS - the sign in my pic is for ME :)
  • SugarDiva
    SugarDiva Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue. I take an anti-convulsant and it makes it harder for me than the regular person. I've just come to terms with it. It bothered me for a while and tried some different things, but I've just accepted the fact that I have to work harder to get there. Because when it all boils to it, I NEED the pills and if I work hard enough I'll lose weight. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger right? :laugh:
  • SmartAlex999
    Options
    @ivansmomma Thank you for your encouragement, I will definitely add you to my friends <3
  • SmartAlex999
    Options
    Thank you @lindalou4850 <3
  • SmartAlex999
    Options
    I'll check out that book @pauljsolie thank you for the recommendation!
  • SmartAlex999
    Options
    Ya i need to keep my head up... Thanks @stangma and i like your icon hahah <3
  • SmartAlex999
    Options
    so true @sugardiva just gotta push through
  • karrenbennett
    Options
    You should talk to your doctor about the weight gain and request a change in medication if possible. It may not be possible but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Exercising with Fibromyalgia is difficult but it does pay off in the long run. The key is to start slow and build your strength . If you start too fast then you'll overdo it and you'll have a flare-up. That's not good. :( You'll find that as you exercise you'll release more endorphin. The endorphin will help you to feel better. Everyone is different, but this could also help to get you off SOME of the meds.

I noticed that you play the drums. I read an excellent article about calories burned while drumming on Runner's World.. Drummers burn about 400-600 calories an hour when playing and it elevates the heart rate. It's an activity you love, it's indoors and not high impact where it will hurt your joints. Neil Peart, drummer for Rush says "Playing a three-hour Rush show is like running a marathon while solving equations. My mind is as busy as it can be, and so is my body; full output all the time." So DRUM AWAY and burn those calories!

Also look at your food diary. Are you eating at least 1200 calories a day? Are you consuming more calories than you're burning? What types of foods are you eating? Just look at your dairy to see if you can make some changes.

The important thing is to not give up. There are many people on MFP who are struggling to lose weight even though their medications cause weight gain. It's frustrating and it's not fair... but you can do it! :)

Good luck to you and I hope this helps.
  • guineverantha
    guineverantha Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    All I can say is I'm really sorry. That would be VERY frustrating, and your feelings of frustration are valid. What did your doctor say about it?
  • SmartAlex999
    Options
    Thank you so much @karrenbennett your advice and encouragement are greatly appreciated
  • SmartAlex999
    Options
    @guineverantha thank you for validating my feelings <3 when i looked upset after my psychiatrist weighed me and i had told him about my exercise and dieting he said, "well maybe it's muscle" just to make me feel better, though...
  • porterbaby38
    Options
    i'm the same way i was down to 152lbs. now i'm up to 169lbs. but my goal is 126lbs. it is hard.
  • SmartAlex999
    Options
    We'll get there @porterbaby38! Add me if you want a new friend <3