Plateau'd & Discouraged!

Options
So, for the past 5 days, I've been on a plateau. Though discouraged, I have continued to eat right and exercise. Any suggestions?

Replies

• aurorasangel2000
    Options
    Hmmm... When I first started exercising, I had a lot of friends let me know that there would be a point where I would plateau and would need to change up my workout to get new results. Some of them have been on plateaus for months, lol. Just don't get discouraged, and maybe try to change up your workout routine to include new and different options. Sometimes the body gets used to the same old routine and then adapts.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    3months plateaued . . . my advice: keep going. but like I seriously need to do, try something new, because what I'm doing {being inconsistent} is not working for me anymore, I need something {a plan} that's more structured than when I first started.
  • seriousaboutlife
    seriousaboutlife Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    stop focusing on the number and start focusing on what you are doing for your body. You can't control the number on the scale... but you CAN control what you put in your mouth... and how much you exercise. LOVE YOURSELF!!!
  • mampm1
    Options
    Correct. Change your exercise...for example, on the treadmill I've upped the incline in order to get that good burn. Do a little something different and you'll see results. Best to you on your journey!
  • rebeccastringer
    Options
    I am in the same boat! The past 5 days, despite eating within my calorie limit and exercising, I have put on 1.1kg (2.5lb) It is very frustrating and disheartening. From what i have read, by mixing up your routine, ensuring you eat all your exercised calories and maybe even spiking your calorie intake every3-4 days you will begin to lose again. This is what i am going to try, hopefully it works!
  • seeker10
    Options
    Try changing up your exercise routine for a week.It helps
  • saraiwarren
    Options
    you may want to look into a hydrostatic test to find out what your true BMI is. When you've been working your *kitten* off and eating right your muscle to fat ratio is definitely increasing even though your weight may be at a plateau I can guarantee you that you're getting skinnier! The scale is not always your best indicator. Hydrostatic testing isn't expensive and it's the most accurate way to calculate your TRUE body composition. It will amaze you! I bet you're making a lot more progress than a normal bathroom scale can calculate.
  • leezanicole
    Options
    Happened with my mom. I told her to switch up her workouts and to workout more, she ended up losing weight again. You either have to change your eating or exercise routine.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,683 Member
    Options
    So, for the past 5 days, I've been on a plateau. Though discouraged, I have continued to eat right and exercise. Any suggestions?
    This is not a plateau. I wouldn't even call it a stall. It's only been 5 days. A plateau would be 6+ weeks of no weight loss while being consistent. If you haven't been consistent, or had a day or two of higher sodium, that could be the issue.
  • ab_shutterbug
    ab_shutterbug Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Five days isn't long enough to plateau. They say here and most doctors that you should weigh-in just once a week. That way you can track progress. Don't worry if a few weeks go by and you are at the same level. However, if it goes on for a month try increasing intensity of workout or length of time exercising.

One thing I caught myself doing is under-reporting my portions, so measuring the food is helpful.

Good luck to you!!
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Well. I'm sorry to say that 5 days isn't a plateau. Remaining at the same weight or measurements for 5 days is quite normal and common. When you start getting into weeks and weeks with no movement - then it is a plateau.

Just keep going.
  • Cdowens1216
    Options
    I was at a plateau stage for about two months; I kept doing the same routine for about 3 to 4 times a week and i stayed in the 140's. I was on youtube one day and this woman said add 10 to 15 minutes to your workout and workout 5 to 7 days a week. So i did and i started to get out of the 140's; so now in the 130's :) now i work out 6 days for an hour doing three different cardio exercises. I hope this helps, plus my cal intake is 1200 a day.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Agree with most - 5 days is not a plateau.....but yes - you are doing the exact right thing - just keep on eating right - and doing your exercise and you will most probably see the scales move soon....

Here is a blog I wrote a while back - the scale can do weird things from day to day - reason we only weigh once a week....

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Elleinnz/view/weighing-daily-don-t-believe-the-scale-135325
  • Glam0809
    Options
    Thanks for your input. I'll try the suggestion of changing things up a little. I currently get on the elliptical for about 30-45 min. 7 days/week. I take in 1200 cals./day.