Is this too much?

Options
Am doing three days of full body, mon,wed,fri.

Workouts each of these days are:
Goblet squats 3 sets 14 reps 15kg db
Seated DB shoulder press 3 sets 14 reps 7.5kg db’s
Deadlift 3 sets 14 reps
Bench press 3 sets 14 reps
Bent over db rows 3 sets 14 reps
Hammer curls super set with db skull crushers 3 sets 14 reps each.
(Had started in first week at 12 reps on fourth week now at 14 reps but have also added 4th set to each then planning reload next week)
So is this too much for three days a week?

Replies

• Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,526 Member
    edited September 2022
    Options
    It depends on your goals, and if those sets listed are actually hard working sets, i.e. not including warmup sets and going to 2-3 reps from failure, or maybe 0 reps if it's the last set.

Generally though, I'd say it's not enough of the compounds, especially chest, and too much of the accessories. The sweet spot is 10-20 sets per part per week. To keep it simple, count deadlift as legs there (it works the back too of course).

You could go to ABA, where A == lower + upper, and B == deadlift + accessories. That will free up energy and time for more chest and back work on the two A days, and you can do more for them on the B day after deadlift if needed.

For legs, maybe add RDL's along with the goblet squat, for the hams.
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,473 Member
    edited September 2022
    Options
    There are way too many variables for anyone to accurately tell you right off the bat whether that is "too much" or not.

However, it's a hot mess. Not sure where you found this, but if I were you, I'd bin it and use a proven, progressive program.
  • MrVictus1
    MrVictus1 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    It depends on your goals, and if those sets listed are actually hard working sets, i.e. not including warmup sets and going to 2-3 reps from failure, or maybe 0 reps if it's the last set.

Generally though, I'd say it's not enough of the compounds, especially chest, and too much of the accessories. The sweet spot is 10-20 sets per part per week. To keep it simple, count deadlift as legs there (it works the back too of course).

You could go to ABA, where A == lower + upper, and B == deadlift + accessories. That will free up energy and time for more chest and back work on the two A days, and you can do more for them on the B day after deadlift if needed.

For legs, maybe add RDL's along with the goblet squat, for the hams.

Thank you so much for to the advise, so would this be:
    Monday A
    Wednesday B
    Friday A

And the next week the same pattern or better to go B A B?
  • MrVictus1
    Options
    JBanx256 wrote: »
    There are way too many variables for anyone to accurately tell you right off the bat whether that is "too much" or not.

However, it's a hot mess. Not sure where you found this, but if I were you, I'd bin it and use a proven, progressive program.

Yeah did think a bit random I made it up myself with things that I wanted to work on but after doing both goblet and deadlift’s in same workout is a bit much so will separate those
  • Retroguy2000
    edited September 2022
    Options
    "MrVictus1 wrote:
    Monday A
    Wednesday B
    Friday A

Correct on MWF.

ABA/BAB can be valid, but not with this proposed split. Not enough chest/back in week 2. What you could do is keep it as ABA every week and if you prefer, alternate the squats and dl from week to week. That way you'll have squats twice and dl once in week one, then squats once and dl twice in week two.

It's unfair to call your plan a mess imo. You're doing the big five, which is key. You obviously want to add arms too, which is fine, so long as the big five are getting enough volume each week.
  • MrVictus1
    Options
    "MrVictus1 wrote:
    Monday A
    Wednesday B
    Friday A

Correct on MWF.

ABA/BAB can be valid, but not with this proposed split. Not enough chest/back in week 2. What you could do is keep it as ABA every week and if you prefer, alternate the squats and dl from week to week. That way you'll have squats twice and dl once in week one, then squats once and dl twice in week two.

It's unfair to call your plan a mess imo. You're doing the big five, which is key. You obviously want to add arms too, which is fine, so long as the big five are getting enough volume each week.

Thank you again for the feedback.
    I’ll start incorporating this as of next week and yeah might do that switch with squats and deadlifts and also throw in the RDL’s as well.

So how does this sound? (Friday I go to the gym so could throw in lay pull downs and pull ups)

Monday -
    Goblet squat
    Shoulder press
    RDL
    Bench press
    Db rows
    Incline press

Wednesday:
    Deadlift
    Lateral raise
    RDL
    Bicep/hammer curl
    Skull crusher
    Calf raises

Friday:
    Same as Monday
  • Retroguy2000
    edited September 2022
    Options
    If you're getting enough volume, sure. And you're progressively loading it.

Do you have enough weight at home for the DL? On DL day you can pass on the RDL since both work the hams.

On your gym day, take advantage of the equipment there if you don't have it at home, e.g. cable fly's for the chest, rope push down for tris, face pulls, etc.

Front delts may be getting tired doing bench + incline + overhead in the same session, and if you think that's the case, you can move incline to the B day. Personally, I like the supinated flat press for upper chest.

You might need to add more calf raises on the other days too, to get enough volume.