Cant Lose Weight? Diet Saboteurs!!

Options
Source: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/health/new-health/health-nutrition/leslie-beck/cant-lose-weight-these-diet-blunders-may-be-to-blame/article1991153/

People often wonder if their inability to lose weight is the result of a sluggish metabolism, an underactive thyroid or simply bad genes. Almost always the answer is no.

Instead, diet blunders are to blame – oversights that can quietly add hundreds of calories to your day and keep those excess pounds on.

If your healthy diet isn’t helping you lose weight, take a moment to identify if any of the following mistakes are getting in your way. This list is not all encompassing, but includes the most common slip-ups that prevent weight loss. How many calories do you overlook each day?

Blunder No. 1: Eating ‘unhealthy’ portions of healthy foods

Sure, grilled salmon is better for you than a juicy, marbled steak. But that doesn’t mean you should eat a 10-ounce portion.

Even though it’s packed with heart-healthy omega-3 fatty acids, 10 ounces of salmon has 583 calories (the same number of calories found in 10 ounces of sirloin steak). Keep your portion size of cooked meat, poultry and fish to three to six ounces at meals.

And yes, skim milk is a nutritious, fat-free beverage but it still has calories. Instead of drinking two 12-ounce glasses with dinner, limit yourself to an eight-ounce serving. Drink water if you’re still thirsty. Doing so will save you 165 calories.

Bottom line: Portion size matters whether it’s a chicken stir-fry or a burger and fries.

Blunder No. 2: Thinking fruit and vegetables are ‘free’ foods

Produce is one of the best sources of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. That’s why we’re told to get seven to 10 servings, combined, each day. (One serving is a medium-sized fruit, ¼ cup dried fruit, ½ cup of cooked or raw vegetables or one cup of salad.)

The fibre in fruit and vegetables also helps fill you up at meals, making you less likely to overeat higher calorie foods. Even so, if you want to lose weight you can’t eat all the fruit and vegetables you want.

Consider that peas (1/2 cup equals 62 calories) and potatoes (68 calories) have more calories than vegetables that have higher water content such as broccoli (22 calories) and green beans (27 calories).

And a medium-sized fruit, because it contains natural sugar, has anywhere from 70 to 100 calories.

Fill up on low-calorie, water-rich vegetables such as leafy greens, zucchini, peppers, broccoli and cauliflower. Aim for four to five servings a day. Keep your fruit intake to three servings a day. Choose fresh fruit over fruit juice and dried fruit, which are higher in calories.

Blunder No. 3: Going crazy with condiments

That seemingly innocent squirt (or two) of ketchup, brush of barbecue sauce, dollop of sour cream or slather of peanut butter may not be as harmless as you think. Especially if you use condiments to flavour most of your meals. Calories aside, many condiments also deliver a hefty dose of refined sugar and sodium.

Lower calorie alternatives include salsa, hot sauce, mustard, hummus and fat-reduced mayonnaise. When you do use higher calorie condiments, use them wisely. Read nutrition labels to learn calories for each serving.

Sugars can sneak in too. Maple syrup on oatmeal, sugar in coffee and honey in tea can add up over the course of a day. For each tablespoon you’ll find 52 calories in maple syrup, 64 calories in honey, 50 calories in sugar, and 60 calories in agave nectar (a sweetener produced in Mexico from agave plants).

If you can’t give up added sugars, cut back. Use only one teaspoon of sweetener on your cereal and in coffee and tea.

Blunder No. 4: Sprucing up the salad

What starts out low in calories – lettuce, tomato, cucumber, mushrooms – can turn into more than a meal if you’re not careful. Add-ins such as cheese, nuts, avocado and dried cranberries boost flavour but at a cost: plenty of calories.

Once you account for the dressing, a small side of greens can pack in as many as 600 calories.

Keep salads simple: stick with leafy greens and vegetables. For main course salads, top with chicken breast, tuna, salmon or beans (e.g. chickpeas, kidney beans, lentils).

Vinaigrette dressings often have fewer calories than creamy ones, but they’re still oil-based. And at 120 calories for each tablespoon of oil, it’s wise to use a measuring spoon to dress your salad.

Blunder No. 5: Eating like an athlete

It’s easy to do – justify eating a larger portion or an extra dessert because you’re working out four days a week. Surely you’re burning those calories off. So why isn’t the needle on the bathroom scale budging?

To lose one pound each week, you need to create a daily 500-calorie deficit through a combination of eating less and burning more calories with exercise.

Another common mistake: overusing protein supplements because you’re strength training. It’s true exercise increases protein requirements. But most people – athletes included – can get what they need from diet alone.

If you’re already getting the calories you need – and I suspect you are if you’re not losing weight – excess protein from a steady intake of shakes and bars will be tucked away as fat.

Leslie Beck, a Toronto-based dietitian at the Medcan Clinic, is on CTV’s Canada AM every Wednesday. Her website is lesliebeck.com.

Replies

• Hirundo
    Hirundo Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Bump !
    Very interesting !
  • surfrgrl1
    surfrgrl1 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    Thanks YukonJoy, great advice. I'd like to find the article about serving sizes compared to common objects, like ping pong ball, golf ball, deck of cards, etc. etc. I always have to revisit the measuring spoons and cups because my judgement gets a bit 'off'.
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    bump
  • hoosiermama1977
    Options
    wonderful information, thank you for sharing! Of course, sometimes weight loss challenges or rapid weight gain ARE the result, side effect or at least secondary effect of an illness or health concern. For years I wondered why I seem to have to work so much harder then others to shed weight and after some investigating and follow ups with doctors I've found out I have PCOS AND under-active thyroid. These issues are more common then most realize. No, they don't give an excuse to pull up to the buffet but it does make it easier to understand why I can work as hard as the next person and lose .05 while they lose 2 lbs.... Always good to talk with your doctor if you believe you may have a health related issue or just for general physical before starting your weight loss plan so you can compare how awesome of an improvement you will have as you lose the weight and gain health :)
  • YukonJoy
    YukonJoy Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    Thanks YukonJoy, great advice. I'd like to find the article about serving sizes compared to common objects, like ping pong ball, golf ball, deck of cards, etc. etc. I always have to revisit the measuring spoons and cups because my judgement gets a bit 'off'.

Here you go! You can print this off and put it on your fridge :)

http://www.capitalhealth.ca/NR/rdonlyres/etgansnparwmjhldsvhl4nmhp6bvkynxnoao2bm3qrcounb6nzu5jcpqhocw4wk576apdb7v4dmaeywfqk7rdjx6cec/Portion+size+Handout.pdf
  • Pinky67
    Pinky67 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for posting this! So true, it's just science at the end of the day. Losing weight is hard work, but not impossible!!!!
    I'd like to add one more. Milk in coffees...I measured how much milk I was putting in my cuppas and was shocked at the amount of calories, I will never stop drinking milk (extra low fat) but it made me aware that I need to track it carefully
  • YukonJoy
    YukonJoy Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    Here is another good one (mostly because the research is actually cited)

Source:http://besthealthmag.ca/get-healthy/weight-loss/8-reasons-why-you-cant-lose-weight?slide=9

1. Overindulging on the weekend

To combat overindulging on Saturday and Sunday, pay attention to portion size, weigh yourself daily (or on Fridays and Mondays only) and watch your alcohol intake, which provides empty calories and lowers your food inhibitions. Researchers have found that people don’t realize they eat markedly more on weekends, particularly on Saturdays, when they tend to consume more fat. Those extra calories slow weight loss.

2. Not eating "good" fats

Eating foods rich in unsaturated fats—such as nuts, avocados and olive oil—may help you eat less overall by sending your brain the message that you’re full. These fats appear to trigger the production of a compound in the small intestine called oleoylethanolamide. It reaches nerve endings that carry messages to the brain to curb hunger, and activates a brain circuit that makes you feel full. To avoid weight gain from healthy fats, limit your intake to two to three tablespoons (30-45 mL) a day—a handful of nuts or one sixth of an avocado.

3. Not getting enough calcium

You need at least 1,000 milligrams of calcium a day from foods—one cup of milk (250 mL), plus one cup of yogurt and a cube of cheese (42 g)—or supplements. For overweight women who are calcium deficient, boosting intake may spur weight loss, according to a 2009 study in the British Journal of Nutrition. Researchers at Laval University in Quebec City studied 63 overweight or obese women who consumed 600 milligrams or less of calcium daily, about half the recommended amount. For 15 weeks, the women followed a low-calorie diet and took either a placebo or 1,200 milligrams of elemental calcium plus vitamin D daily. The women who took calcium lost six times more weight than those who didn’t, shedding 13 pounds compared to two pounds. The brain may detect the lack of calcium and try to compensate by increasing appetite to boost intake, say researchers.

4. Being fooled by snack-size treats

If you can’t stop after eating one mini portion of chips or cookies, separate them so you have a treat in your car, office desk and gym bag. In a 2008 Dutch study, 59 students were given either nine small (45-g) bags of potato chips or two large (200-g) bags to eat while watching TV. Participants who were encouraged to think about calories were almost twice as likely to eat chips from the small bags and, if they did, to eat twice as much as those munching from the big bags. “Small bags seem innocent, so people let their guard down and don’t monitor how much they eat,” explains lead researcher Rik Pieters, a marketing professor at Tilburg University.

5. Eating the wrong amount of carbs

Consuming a diet containing a moderate amount of calories from carbohydrates may help you maintain a healthy body weight. A study in the Journal of the American Dietetic Association examined Canadians’ dietary patterns and observed that people who ate 47 to 64 percent (290-310 g) of their calories per day as carbohydrates were less likely to be overweight or obese, compared to those consuming a lower percentage of carbs. Diets that are too low or too high in carbohydrates are harder to maintain, says lead researcher Anwar Merchant, associate professor of epidemiology at the University of South Carolina. (The study’s findings are in keeping with Health Canada’s recommendations.)

6. You're 40 or older (sorry)

That daily muffin might have been okay once, but skip it now if you want to prevent middle-aged spread. “As we age, we lose lean muscle mass, so our metabolism slows down, especially if we don’t exercise every day,” says Larry Tucker, an exercise sciences professor at Brigham Young University in Utah. In a recent study involving 192 middle-aged women, Tucker found that the women who became more restrained in their eating habits were 2.4 times less likely to gain 6* pounds or more over three years compared to those who didn’t become more careful. On average, women who developed greater eating restraint consumed about 200 fewer calories a day than their counterparts.

7. Following a treat-free eating plan

Allowing yourself an occasional treat, such as a special dessert or french fries, may protect you from overdoing it on the wrong foods because you’re always feeling deprived. Having access to some tempting foods, such as candy, rather than banning them outright, may help you avoid temptation. (Just don’t keep your personal trigger foods in the house.) A study in the Journal of Consumer Research examined the differences between real and abstract food temptations. It found that when women were exposed to candy (such as M&M’s) but were asked not to eat it, they were more likely to exhibit self-control when offered the same candy a second time. However, women who were only shown ads or pictures of candy were less likely to show restraint with the real thing.

8. Catching the wrong virus

Yet another reason to wash your hands properly: It’s your best bet to avoid catching adenovirus-36, a human virus that causes upper respiratory infections with symptoms like those of a flu or a cold, and may also make you prone to weight gain. The virus appears to convert adult stem cells into fat cells and is more prevalent in the obese. About 30 percent of obese people in the U.S. have been exposed to it, compared to 11 percent of normal-weight people, according to one screening (no Canadian numbers are available). Animals that were infected with adenovirus-36 gained up to four times as much weight as those without it.
  • holdondreamaway
    Options
    These are some awesome articles! Thanks.
  • lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    Options
    Bump