Diabetise

Options
Looking for friends with diabetice please come help me.

Replies

• lcharpentier2
    lcharpentier2 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Well b\s was 6.2 that's two good mornings in a row doing something right.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,473 Member
    edited August 2022
    Options
    My husband is diabetic. He was taken off diabetes meds six months ago after losing some weight and getting his sugar down.

We focused more on “better” eating than reducing sugar or carbs and that was enough to do the trick. Lots of protein, lots of vegetables, lower carbs.

Doing that naturally reduced the things that exacerbated his diabetes.

Snacks were no longer candy, giant ice cream servings, Cheez-it’s, bowls of cereal, etc.

He found he really likes popping baby carrots once in a while, making a small sandwich wrap for 100 calories or so, peanut butter crackers, even a Diet Coke helps him. He also loooooves Nugo dark chocolate mint or peanut butter protein bars , which are low in sugar.

Every week he allows himself a giant sugary Apple fritter from the doughnut shop up the street. Lately he’s been cutting them in half and eating them over two days.

Everything is weighed and tracked, and evaluated if it’s really “worth” having. Sometimes it is worth it to have the DQ dipped cone or whatever. It either fits within our calorie budget, or we accept it for that moment and carry on.

We use a lot of sugar free products, especially Walden Farms syrups and dressings. We also make low cal zero or low sugar homemade ice cream every night. He finds that so satisfying I’m happy to prep it.

I’m very grateful he joined me on MFP, and that we’ve reached a point we can support each other, or gently poke at the occasional failings and encourage getting back on track.
  • RedFox_UK
    RedFox_UK Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Springlering - congrats to yer hubby!
  • RedFox_UK
    RedFox_UK Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Have sent you a friend request, I'm also diabetic and I'm type 2
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,473 Member
    Options
    To clarify, he’s only lost about 35 pounds in the last year and is still in obese BMI range but has lost two clothing sizes and has a ton more energy. He started at age 66, too.

So wins can come in different waves , so to speak.

Highly recommend you check out the NSV (non scale victories) thread under “Success Stories”. I’ve read every single post. That thread kept me going through the occasional low point.
  • lcharpentier2
    lcharpentier2 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Darn didn't know how to get back in here. Sorry and Fox I didn't get the friends request. But here is how i'm doing I'm at 11 days today of no bread. And my blood sugar readings have been in the 6 range with the odd 5 the best i've seen in 8 years. I also lost 6 lbs in that time. So it's getting better.