Leptin resistance + increasing weight loss

Options
I wanted to post a little about leptin resistance, I've only just started really incorporating this into my lifestyle so I haven't seen results yet but I will post the basics and let you guys experiment (if you want) and see if it boosts weight loss or fat loss.

Leptin is a hormone that tells the body its got enough fat and it does not need to eat any more. Most people who are fat have got a high level of leptin which means that they are probably leptin resistant i.e their body does not listen to leptin. Leptin does not decrease there appetite and does not allow the extra fat to be used for energy. Why is leptin being ignored? Its a complex issue and linked with insulin resistance. People don't really know why we get fat - we know it is from eating too much and exercising too little but we don't know the physiological cause for this. Whatever diet you follow you can learn a little from leptin.

Leptin is at its lowest in the morning, so its more natural to eat in the morning when you get hungry (there is a dawn phenomenon of a blood sugar rise in the morning among people watching their blood sugar, it is the liver increasing the blood sugar level in anticipation of activity - it is important therefore to eat after a period of activity rather than before)

Leptin is naturally highest at night so it would be unwise to eat at night while the body is preparing to burn fat. Leptin also plays a role in between meals - so having fewer snacks or getting rid of them completely helps leptin do its job between meals. Also leptin is disrupted by high triglycerides - this means reducing fructose consumption (sugar, fruit juices (not whole fruit), honey etc) the brain can respond to leptin.

More information can be found in books about leptin (leptin diet) but putting these things into practice might help some people.

Replies

• surfinbernard
    Options
    Excellent post and very interesting thanks!
  • sandislim
    Options
    you are very welcome. I thought I would also add that leptin is actually released by fat cells, the more fat cells you have the more leptin is released. These means that when you lose fat, you also lose leptin which increases appetite - so its even more important to be aware of how leptin works the closer you get to your goal.
  • SlenderNow
    Options
    Does this mean it's not actually better to eat several small meals a day "to keep metabolism fired up" like we're always hearing?
  • sandislim
    Options
    There are hormones that work in-between meals which release fat from the cells including leptin - if you eat in-between meals it interrupts this process. It doesn't mean its wrong to eat between meals it just means there are benefits to avoiding snacks if you are able to.
  • Mmmary212
    Mmmary212 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Eat minimum of 50g protein (minimal carbs, if not, no carbs) within 30 minuts of waking up. This should keep you full and satisfied until lunch, if not, eat more....lunch should be about 6 hours after breakfast. Same time frame for dinner, about 6 hours.

Ideal example: Breakfast 6:30am, Lunch 12:30pm, Dinner 6:30pm. Dont eat within 4 hours of going to sleep for the night. Keep carbohydrates low (to moderate). Do this for 6-8 weeks. Welcome to the leptin reset.
  • jesca02
    jesca02 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi I was wondering if leptin could be an issue for me. I have 15 lbs to my goal weight i have been struggling to lose. I work out 4-6xs a week watch my calorie intake i try to eat right as well. But lately I haven't been getting that jolt of energy after exercising, i feel very sluggish an my weight is not budging. I am getting very frustrated.