Feck the scales.

No I haven't just hopped on them and had a traumatic experience!

Have been thinking and have decided that I am not interested in what those damn things say. (Or their evil cousin the tape measure.)

I have been on MFP for probably a month or so now, and in that time have made some changes. Although my food diary still shows I am not netting 1200 calories, I am eating a lot more and way cleaner than probably ever before, and have majorly cut my sugar intake.

I have also been doing regular exercise - most days I will either do interval training on the elliptical, a 6-7km walk, or a 3-4km swim.

As of last weigh in (2 weeks ago) there was no numerical change.

But I feel so much better. I have managed to halve my beta blockers, am sleeping way better, and have heaps more energy. I have come to the conclusion that these changes have to be having a positive effect, and even if the scales etc aren't budging, I have got to be improving my health.

More and more I realise it's my health that matters. Yes I would like to lose weight and be leaner, but at the end of the day I want to live to a ripe old age to see my children, grandchildren etc. I would rather live to a high number than have my weight get down to a low one.

Even if my weight stays stuck forever, I am committed to these changes I have made, and there is no going back.

Replies

• engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    that is what we call, a non-scale victory (NSV). while you may not have dropped weight, you are feeling better and have a lot more reasons to stand tall.
  • sfburdett
    sfburdett Posts: 83 Member
    That's the spirit, it's all about the way you feel.

Regards
  • That's the Spirit!!! Feck the scales indeed! I'm guilty of jumping on them too often, but I'm still early on in my journey and every little win is a big thrill for me :o) As time goes on I'll be timing my weigh-ins further apart, until I've got it out of my system.

Congrats on your NSV, you're doing great!
  • good for you ;] as you go forward I think we realize more and more the scale doesn't matter !
  • Im the same this week, i feel amazing, can see and feel where ive lost weight but the scales are being gay!
  • No I haven't just hopped on them and had a traumatic experience!

Have been thinking and have decided that I am not interested in what those damn things say. (Or their evil cousin the tape measure.)

I have been on MFP for probably a month or so now, and in that time have made some changes. Although my food diary still shows I am not netting 1200 calories, I am eating a lot more and way cleaner than probably ever before, and have majorly cut my sugar intake.

I have also been doing regular exercise - most days I will either do interval training on the elliptical, a 6-7km walk, or a 3-4km swim.

As of last weigh in (2 weeks ago) there was no numerical change.

But I feel so much better. I have managed to halve my beta blockers, am sleeping way better, and have heaps more energy. I have come to the conclusion that these changes have to be having a positive effect, and even if the scales etc aren't budging, I have got to be improving my health.

More and more I realise it's my health that matters. Yes I would like to lose weight and be leaner, but at the end of the day I want to live to a ripe old age to see my children, grandchildren etc. I would rather live to a high number than have my weight get down to a low one.

Even if my weight stays stuck forever, I am committed to these changes I have made, and there is no going back.

Excellent! A woman after my own heart! I do not weigh either. My clothes get too big and they get replaced, I don't need a stupid tape measure to tell me that. Keep up the good work girl! :)
  • I also don't weigh very often at all. I am making positive changes to my diet, exercising more often, and feel fantastic for it all...which is what I wanted to achieve. I would love to get rid of 15lbs, but tobe honest, my BMI is at normal range now, so for me, losing weight is really just a bonus at this point.

You have the right idea, I say!!
  • keiraev
    keiraev Posts: 695 Member
    I am starting to come around to that way of thinking to be honest.

The number on the scale was hugely important over the last few few months, but now I am almost at my goal and have only lost 1lb in the last few weeks (had a holiday in between though).

However my clothes seem to look better and better as the weeks go by even with minimal change on the scale, probably down to all the exercise. Obviously I will still weigh myself to keep myself on track, but clothes and how I feel is what I am going on from now on!
  • atag2011
    atag2011 Posts: 45 Member
    Good for you for realizing the scale isn't the only indication of change! Great job
  • botography
    botography Posts: 95 Member
    Having scale trouble as well. Everytime I jump on they say something else and that is with a brand new scale that is supposed to be accurate. And I have decided as you have just to eat as healthy as I can and not pay much attention to much else. Even the calorie count seems flawed. When I go under the 1200 I actually lose weight and when I go over with the wrong type of foods for me (carbs) I stay the same or even gain. I am more and more convinced it is an individual thing.