PCOS and insulin resistance

Options
I was recently diagnosed with PCOS and Insulin resistance. We’ve started cutting out gluten, dairy (specifically because my partner isn’t meant to have those) and processed sugars. Has anyone who also has this got any tips on how to lose weight and maintain it.
Tagged:

Replies

• bluesheeponahill
    bluesheeponahill Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS, and found intermittent fasting was super good for my borderline diabetes levels. It also helped regulate my cycle as well from 40 days to 28 days (gradual shortening of cycles) and now it’s very regular.

I’d approach your dr or a dietician about initial steps to ensure the right food program for you.
  • mlrtri
    mlrtri Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I don’t have PCOS but I was having trouble with my sugar. As of my 3 month follow up labs yesterday I have made major improvements. The nurse asked me how I did it. I have cut out as much added sugar as I can. Read labels. If it says “low fat” they have probably added sugar. Go for the full fat but just eat less. I have greatly reduced processed foods and try to eat foods as close to their natural state as I can. I get most of my carbs through fruit and vegetables. They also have fiber which slows absorption rate as well as other nutrients that are good for me. I have started body resistance exercises and walking. I stop eating after dinner. I watch my portion sizes. Eliminated mindless snacking. Increase my fiber. None of it is hard. It just takes being focused and mindful. And taking it one day at a time adds up to big results.

Start by logging and learning. Learn what has high carbs. What keeps you feeling full. Which products have added sugar and which don’t or have less. As you learn make adjustments. You don’t have to have all the answers right now. You just have to start trying and learning. Best of luck to you.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,886 Member
    edited September 2022
    Options
    Yeah, talk to your Dr. about it. A Dr. friend of mine kind of explained the problem women have with PCOS because a friend of mine was recently diagnosed and it basically comes down to hormones and hormone regulation. Woman with PCOS will normally have lower levels of estrogen, high level of testosterone and from what he explained can be partly caused by low levels of a protein called SHBG and elevated insulin of course, which apparently is very problematic. He prescribes his patients a very low carb diet or keto diet and calorie reduction with moderate to high intensity workouts which apparently get good results with increasing SHBG and increasing insulin sensitivity. But again ask a professional and hopefully one that has experience in women's health. Cheers
  • plattef71
    plattef71 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I started taking glp-1 shots weekly for insulin resistance. So far things have been under control and I have lost 16 pounds in 6 weeks so far.