Should I be logging everything in exercise?

Options
I just wanted to know if I have to log everything in exercise like cooking and cleaning and all the menial things that I do every day. Or should I be logging just the planned exercise like going for walks or going to the gym? Any insite?

Replies

• Zoe2901
    Zoe2901 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I only log the exercise i do purpose, running, shred etc, i dont class walking as exercise for me as i do it everyday so my ody is used to it.
  • TMcBooty
    TMcBooty Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I only log the exercise i do purpose, running, shred etc, i dont class walking as exercise for me as i do it everyday so my body is used to it.

maybe not general walking but some people walk for exercise.
  • stripedsocks
    Options
    Just the stuff you do out of your norml routine. I don't log cleaning cooking or the 20 minute walk I take at lunchtime as I've done all these things for the last 5 years or so so I'll continue to burn the same calories as I've burning all the time I've been doing them...
  • talysshade
    talysshade Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    i used to set my activity level for light for cleaning and stuff and only log trips to the gym or other planned things. However, recently I plateaud, for the past few weeks and last week i switched it around. I put my activity level to sedentary and i log everything, cleaning, walks, cycling trips to do groceries. Most of these activities i do with my HRM and it turns out I burn a LOT more calories than i thought. So it seems i've plateaud because i'm eating way too little.

Whole point of the story.. As long as it works for you, only log planned things.. but don't underestimate the calories you burn when cleaning or cycling.
  • saraht109
    Options
    i agree, I only log exercise such as sessions on the wii fit and gym but if I do out of the ordinary stuff like heaving boxes into the loft which i spent a whole morning packing and carrying I logged as was not a normal day for me.
  • Jennifernellwebb
    Jennifernellwebb Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I have noticed that some will add more things than others do. I add my exercise, as in what I do on my equipment at home or I have an exercise video and zumba videos. I did add yard work, because I did some serious sweating in doing so. My typical housework daily or laundry, I don't add those. Some might.... depending on where you set your activities. I stay home so I get very little exercise outside of the actual workouts I do. With me doing laundry or cleaning my house, I just consider that as working off the 1200 calories I am allowed daily. If you want to be more specific, you can get one of those calorie counters and when you feel like you are doing an activity that you may want to log, see how many more calories it burns and see what happens. Good luck to you!
  • Zoe2901
    Zoe2901 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I only log the exercise i do purpose, running, shred etc, i dont class walking as exercise for me as i do it everyday so my body is used to it.

I know i did say for me i dont class it as exercise, i guess my point being that i would log whatever is in excess to your normal daily activities.
  • SueGeer
    SueGeer Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    My activity is set at sedentary as I sit at a desk all day. I log my lunchtime walk, Wii exercises & stuff at gym. I don't bother logging menial tasks such as cooking, cleaning, etc
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

This. walking to the bus stop to work i dont count, but if we go for a walk for walkings sake i count it, or if i walk home instead of getting the bus for example. i dont log cleaning or gardening etc
  • keiraev
    keiraev Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    I only log cleaning when I do a big weekly clean of the house- not the normal every day stuff like tidying or sweeping. Even then I will log it for half an hour instead of the hour or two that it takes, just to be on the safe side!

I would log gardening because it's quite strenuous and I don't do it very often.

I walk around all day at work but I don't log it as exercise I just have my activity level set as "lightly active".
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    It depends if I need those calories for a cheeky glass of wine, lol! :drinker:
  • russelljclarke
    russelljclarke Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I only log anything that raises a sweat nowadays. So, if I'm doing housework is has to be vigorous or lengthy. Even then, I only eat back half the calories it displays from the database. Before, when I was desperate for the pounds, I'd log everything then wonder why I wasn't losing weight faster. Now, though I'll be flamed for this I'm sure, not logging everyhting gives me more predictable results.
  • russelljclarke
    russelljclarke Posts: 836 Member
    Options

Like I do - nearly 4 mph most times. Sure raises a sweat and the heartbeat, so why wouldn't it count?