PCOS and eating disorder

Options
Does anyone else feel like this disorder (PCOS) puts you at risk for an eating disorder? I find myself needing to constantly weigh myself and monitor every single thing I eat. I feel guilty if I eat in excess or go over calories. I feel like I have "binge" moments where I get hungry or stressed and eat all this crap. I do not purge food but can't help but feel that having PCOS and frustration with weight I have the potential to. You feel like there is no control: not your weight, self esteem, presence of acne, or even being able to bear children. Obviously I know the health implications of unhealthy eating but PCOS is greatly impacting my control. This dang disorder makes you irritable and can hurt your body image. I really want to maintain healthy habits and image but it is hard to do when you need to constantly need to worry about what and how much you eat.

Replies

• sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    After I lost a significant percentage of my weight, I stopped feeling any ill effects of PCOS. Being on the Pill also helps. Good luck to you. :)
  • HerBravado
    HerBravado Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Yes, it used to! I agree with you wholeheartedly--PCOS wreaks havoc not only on your weight, but your emotions (which led me personally to at times freak out about things much more than I should have).

Everyone feels the things that you feel, but a lot of people don't realize just how multiplied it is with women that have PCOS. I feel that we are more obsessive because of those reasons--the mood swings really took me down, & I used to get so angry because I felt like a whale & my face was hideously similar to a preteen's.

I found that being on The Pill helped me out a lot (that's of course if you're not trying to have kids). I rage a lot less with them, haha. & I tend to feel happier, with my self-esteem much better...which makes for a better weight-loss journey!

Good luck, though--I'm really sorry it's giving you such a hard time. You'll find your way through, trust me!
  • skyls
    skyls Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Yes, many times I feel like saying screw this, I'm gonna go get me some phentermine. Losing weight for me is like swimming in sludge. I am working out 5 to 6 days a week doing zumba and 3 days a week of that is weight style circuit stuff. Following everything I eat closely and still haven't lost much doing all that

I know how you feel about not having control.
  • dweias
    Options
    I know what you mean 100%! I obsessively monitor everything and then feel guilty for any time I eat something I shouldn't. The mood swings are so difficult to deal with and drive me crazy! I just get so fed up with every day being a battle, I just want a break from it. Love the metaphor of swimming in sludge, very accurate!
  • MKB83
    MKB83 Posts: 31
    Options
    I was actually reading an article the other day about how PCOS can lead to eating disorders, because of the way the body reacts to sugars, and then creates intense carb cravings (especially if you hold back on them) causing binging (and then purging for some).

I have to admit, constantly checking the scale, and how I eat frustrates me - and I agree that some days the pressure feels like too much and I at least eat the entire kitchen. I've learned not to keep sweets in the house (but there's always bread, rice, oatmeal, pasta...), however, I'm also learning that if I do that, to say - okay - tomorrow is a new day!
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    Yes, many times I feel like saying screw this, I'm gonna go get me some phentermine.

That was my doctor's idea to help me along in the beginning. And it worked. I'm still keeping it off over 3 years later.
  • Mrswilko
    Options
    I can so relate to this....

I sometimes wonder if I have BED as looking at the list of 'symptoms' I can tick at least half... I iknow the PCOS can alter everything about loosing and gaining weight but when I gain, I gain lots and can't get that balance of 'eating healthily'. I go from denying myself everything I shouldn't have and loosing loads to eating something I shouldn't which then escalates and I gain massively.

The mood swings are my nemisis too... I hate the lack of control of emotion I feel and how it impacts on people but I don't think they get how PCOS can cause such swings so when I try and explain it I feel like I am making excuses - same as with the weight actually....

I don't keep anything naughty in the house anymore if I am feeling weak and I can't resist but when I am on it and keeping strong I can ignore it!! Today is a strong day - so far!!!
  • DrAJ84
    DrAJ84 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    At least it is not just me. Ugh, it is crazy how "obsessive" you have to be. I have read a few articles in the last few days about PCOS and eating disorder. Body image issues and binging should not be a way to live. I have lost a lot but if I did not monitor every morsel I consumed it would be right back on.