Boosting my weight loss

Options
I am about to start a 60 weight loss challenge at my gym... and my trainer was talking to me tonight about being sensible so i can last the distance - but I would love to have a good couple of weeks to really kick start my weight loss... after all the prize is $1000....
I am wondering if anyone has some words of wisdom... top tips.... or pointers for me as I countdown to my initial weigh in??

Replies

• kayla7jackson
    Options
    Make sure you put even the smallest thing you eat on your food tracker, the more you see it the less you want to eat it. Also, make sure you are eating three balanced meals a day and a healthy snack inbetween meals. Also, work out monday through saturday for at least a half hour each day and take a break on sunday. You need a day between all the workouts to just rest your muscles. Also, look at the weight loss as pieces instead of a huge amount. For example, i have to lose 10 pounds six times rather than 60 pounds, because looking at it from the big picture makes it seem so unreachable. I know you can do it, just believe in yourself and you will be dropping the pounds quicker than you know it. Oh, one last thing...if you plan on cutting things out of your daily intake cut them out in intervales. For example, by the end you want to stop eating candy, fast food, and ice cream...so you cut candy out the first week then add the fast food then add the ice cream, it makes it so much more doable. :) Good luck!
  • moushtie
    moushtie Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Make sure you measure/weigh loose food before logging it. Try to estimate how much potato/rice/pasta is very difficult, and most people under estimate. A good digital scale goes a long way to helping with this..
  • skinnyme47
    skinnyme47 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Welcome to My Fitness Pal. Not only count your calories, but also watch your sodium as well. Every time I go over on sodium, I seem to gain weight. Log in everything, every day, whether you have a good day or not. Also make a lot of friends on this site as it really helps to motivate you. Good luck. :smile:
  • scrapgun
    Options
    thank you... that is great.. I def will do!!! :D
  • surfinbernard
    Options
    First of all the best of luck- that $1000 prize sounds like a fantastic incentive, the real prize of course will be being 60lb lighter!

I agree with the previous post about very strict tracking and would add to it by suggesting you get into weighing foods out such as cereal, rice, potatoes, pasta, cheese, everything can add invisible calories if it's not measured and the recommended serving size is often surprisingly tiny!

Try to cut right back on sugar, if possible forgoing sugary treats altogether in favour of fruit. I have been looking at my own diary after changing the settings to track sugar and salt as well as the main macro nutrients, and even the odd lower calorie treat such as a skinny cow icecream, a weight watchers (tiny) cake bar or fruit and oat bar can be very high in sugar and push you over your recommended daily limit and as sugar is likely to end up being worn as a belt I am cutting back!

Drinking lots of water really does help you lose weight. Low calorie Hot Choc is only 40 calories and a good substitute for a bar of chocolate if you are desperate!

My next tip would be don't go too mad in the gym, go with a steady, regular exercise schedule which you can stick to, going mental may feel great at first but you will soon start to feel tired and unmotivated. Instead increase activity in your daily life as it has been shown that fidgety, busy and restless people often burn even more calories than workout junkies over a day or week. So take your bike or walk short journeys, take the stairs, walk more briskly, do housework, keep on the go when you can.

Finally, a somewhat controversial one perhaps, but sometimes we all get hungry with no spare calories to have a snack and I have a hot drink to kill these hunger pangs, just to tide me over if lunch is an hour away and I already had a snack, or didn't have calories spare for one. It works very well and you feel full and satisfied for a time until the effect of the hot drink wears off, but you can always have another. I also do this late at night because I often get peckish at night which is not the best time to be eating, especially if I've had all the food I planned to eat that day. So it's an option if you are about to reach for something which would take you over your limit or make it difficult to make your budget stretch to the end of the day.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    Would this be the same weight loss challenge with $1000 prize that that other poster was talking about? The one where everyone said they will water load before the first weigh in?
  • gel91
    gel91 Posts: 309
    Options
    Would this be the same weight loss challenge with $1000 prize that that other poster was talking about? The one where everyone said they will water load before the first weigh in?

It's the same lady! :)