Food scales and raw meat?

Options
Got my first ever food scales today, woohoo! Just weighed some cheese for lunch and I'm chuffed to know that I've been eating way less for the calories I was putting in! But cheese is a rare treat anyway.

But raw meat, how do you handle it?? Do you have clingfilm or tin foil or something over the scales or do you use a plate chopping board on top of it??

And what about chicken or another food that may be greasy? The scales are quite small so I can't see a plate going on them well, so I was thinking a bit of clingfilm every time I use it? Not sure!

What do you do?

And heres to me, hoping for a few more plesant suprises and expecting a whole load of nasty shocks! Gunna order serving size spoons on friday too! :)

Replies

• killerqueen17
    killerqueen17 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I haven't used one, but you have a lot of good ideas! If you do use a cutting board on top, remember to zero it with the cutting board on, but it sounds like a good idea :)
  • mpmama2re
    mpmama2re Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I just use a plate. put the plate, zero it out and then add the meat.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    put your film, container or what ever on the scale without anything in it. Clear the scale to 0 and then add what you want to weigh. That is the correct weight.
  • tbudge
    tbudge Posts: 114
    Options
    I just use a plate. put the plate, zero it out and then add the meat.

ditto...it's much easier to clean up
  • NancyAnne1960
    NancyAnne1960 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Wax paper.
  • reeldancer
    reeldancer Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I use paper plates because I sometimes weigh a few things for a meal and do ot want cross contamination. Paper plates for me are easier than washing 3 or more extra plates with each meal. B
  • gel91
    gel91 Posts: 309
    Options
    Thanks for replies

I like the paper plate idea, I've always got a ton of them around aswell for sandwiches and mini salads! Saves on the cleaning!
  • statia152
    Options
    I use paper plates because I sometimes weigh a few things for a meal and do ot want cross contamination. Paper plates for me are easier than washing 3 or more extra plates with each meal. B

I do the same with plastic wrap.