Random question about bacon

I measure and weigh everything out to be sure im in a deficit. For rice and pasta I go by uncooked cals because I was told by others on here that's just what you do if you want to count cals you go by uncooked. Now is it the same for bacon? I just realized now that the 210 cal per 2 slices of bacon is uncooked and then it's 50 cals for cooked.🤦‍♀️ What should I go by for bacon cooked or uncooked cals? 🤔

Thanks

Replies

• amberchen86
    amberchen86 Posts: 55 Member
    I think 2 slices are 80 cals,100 cals for country cut. I would count the after cooked calories. That's what I would do.I don't know it's right or not.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Cooked calories.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,098 Member
    edited September 2022
    I would say:
    - weigh cooked and log a cooked entry, because some fat will render out from the bacon which will be left in the pan
    - but if your dish includes the fat rendered from the bacon, I would weigh raw and log with a raw entry (for example: I have a dish where I first cook bacon pieces and then add other ingredients to the dish (pasta etc.) so I use the raw weight because all the rendered fat ends up in the finished dish)

PS: I would suggest weighing, not logging in numbers of slices - slices can vary in size and thickness
  • paints5555
    paints5555 Posts: 1,228 Member
    Bacon is more difficult than some other foods. % fat to lean, how much fat comes off, etc can vary a lot. And some of the weight that comes off of the original raw weight is water, not fat. Buy the pre-cooked bacon and it will be easier.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    paints5555 wrote: »
    Bacon is more difficult than some other foods. % fat to lean, how much fat comes off, etc can vary a lot. And some of the weight that comes off of the original raw weight is water, not fat. Buy the pre-cooked bacon and it will be easier.

Not really... I have logged the cooked version for almost 10 years and had no problems with loss. And if you use the bacon fat, there is a separate entry for that.
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 873 Member
    The difference in raw vs. cooked bacon is likely the fat that cooks out of it as you cook it. When in it's raw form...the fat is still in/on the bacon. Once cook a lot of it is in the pan/drained into a paper towel.

So, I guess you want to do the 'cooked' version?

I have always simply logged my bacon as a slice though...as in '1 slice of thick cut bacon'....but I am only cooking for 1 and usually only use 1-2 slices so any inaccuracy in the calories there is negligible. If you are eating more slices than that often, then it's more important to be more accurate I guess....but after a couple months of measuring/weighing things I went by eyeball and it worked for me....so I didn't stress about being calorie by calorie accurate.
  • paints5555
    paints5555 Posts: 1,228 Member
    paints5555 wrote: »

Not really... I have logged the cooked version for almost 10 years and had no problems with loss. And if you use the bacon fat, there is a separate entry for that.

Glad your method has worked for you. I just mentioned the water loss as a factor for those people who are assuming all of the weight lost is fat. It's not. Depending on the type of bacon (regular vs turkey for example), the water loss can be significant. The fat may remain in the pan but much of the water has evaporated.
  • mswcattle
    mswcattle Posts: 2 Member
    On the bacon subject cooking it in the microwave is awesome. You can buy a microwave bacon cooker on Amazon. The 🥓 grease is contained at bottom. Makes for easy disposal of grease with a paper towel or pour into recycled grease containerm
  • FitnessFreak1821
    FitnessFreak1821 Posts: 242 Member
    Thanks everyone! Definitely some good information