Do you use Flaxseeds? What are some of the benefits because

Options
sdmcbride10
sdmcbride10 Posts: 51 Member
I am trying to control cravings. At the end of my day I usually still have calories left but I get hungry alot. I am looking for ways to reduce that and eat foods that give me a little more sanity in between meal and snacks.

Replies

• u2fergus
    u2fergus Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    As I understand it, they are a good source of omega-3 fats, so they're good for your heart, for lowering cholesterol, etc... Also, they taste really good and I like adding them to my oatmeal or cereal or even ground up in a protein shake. :)
  • cacraft
    Options
    I am trying to control cravings. At the end of my day I usually still have calories left but I get hungry alot. I am looking for ways to reduce that and eat foods that give me a little more sanity in between meal and snacks.

Drink water
  • RNewton4269
    RNewton4269 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I use ground flax in my protein shakes from time to time. I use it to get better good fats into my diet. I also drink a lot of water now and have found that it has really helped my craving and weight loss. I usually try to at least get 8-8 oz's of water a day...but usually get 10 or 12.
  • BeLightYear
    BeLightYear Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I seem to put them into everything now ~ soup, oatmeal, salads, pasta, I love the extra crunch they add, plus lots of fiber, which makes you feel fuller, longer:bigsmile:
  • sewerchick93
    sewerchick93 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    I use milled flaxseed in my oatmeal every morning, I add it to smoothies, I use it as a substitution for fats and oils when I bake, it is very flexible to use and can be added to just about anything.

It is a good source of omega-3,6 and I believe 9, and is also a good source of fiber.

You really want to use milled flaxseed, whole flaxseed are hard to digest and typically end up just passing through your system as is.
  • dailyorange
    Options
    Oatmeal, cottage cheese, smoothies, greek yogurt. Flaxseeds are also a natural laxative, so it'll help keep you regular ;). I also use Chia seeds, which has similar benefits as Flaxseed meal.
  • msaap
    msaap Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I use the seeds in my oatmeal every morning. I don't eat meat, so I don't use fish oil and this is a better alternative for me. I also put them on salads that I eat in the evening. Are you having hunger pains at night? If so, you may want to try to find foods that are more filling in the evening. I usually have a protein shake around 8pm, after my last workout. Sometimes you have to play around with different ideas to see what works for you.

http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/flaxseed-oil-000304.htm