Hormones and weight loss

Options
I just had a hysterectomy. Without the pain of periods de-stroying my will-power to stay away from refined sugar, I thought losing weight would be a sinch. But not so. I joined Noom and after three months, and no weight lost, they gave me a full refund. I joint Charge group, nutritionists that advise you. She finally recommended need i see a doctor because no weight loss (even weight gain!)
I’m exhausted all the time. Too tired to barely on on a walk each day much less make it through a whole day without a nap! I cut out refined sugar, carbs, and dairy for a month. Didn’t lose a single pound. Thoughts???!?

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,055 Member
    Options
    Have you seen that doctor yet? If yes, what was the result?

How recent was the surgery - before the Noom, or after? Exhaustion soon after major surgery is normal. Did you try to cut calories right after surgery, or before and after? That would prolong the surgery-related exhaustion.

Exhaustion seems like a medical issue of some type, although extreme calorie cutting could contribute to it. (You might not lose much scale weight even at low calories, if there's exhaustion plus stress-induced water retention - but that's speculative.) Exhaustion as extreme as you report would certainly reduce your calorie needs below what some calculator (like MFP) might estimate, IMO.

How is your nutrition? Did the nutritionist give you advice on that? Have you stuck to it? (I see that the Charge Group says they use registered dietitians, which is what you'd theoretically want, not just a "nutritionist" with perhaps iffy credentials/degrees.)

I'd like to help if I could, but don't feel like I have enough information. See the doctor seems like the best advice, if you haven't done that yet.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    To build onto others, can you tell us about how you were eating with Noom? What are your current stats (height, weight, age)? Exercise or none? And do you calorie count? If so, how many calories.

General issues tend to be low vitamin D or iron in women, especially if they aren't heavy meat eaters. Definitely get that check.

General observations i have seen in the 13 years doing this that are not blood work related. Many people will try to be aggressive with weight loss which can lead to tiredness and often non compliance. One bad day or even meal, can wipe out your entire weekly deficit. People, at least in the past few years, will aggressively cut carbs and nont replace with additional salt cause electrolyte imbalance. Not enough sleep (guilty parent relying off 6 hours here). And not enough quality foods.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    There are mistakes that people commonly make that cause them to not lose weight that we might be able to spot if you change your Diary Sharing settings to Public: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    I had a laparoscopic hysterectomy May 4. They told me it takes about 6 weeks to recover. Since I am 72 and have other health problems, I thought it might take me a little longer. I was walking 6000 to 8000 steps a day last fall and winter. About 200 steps a day after surgery through mid-August. Tried to eat as much as possible to fuel recovery. Finally started feeling better, stronger. I walked about 4500 steps a day last 3 days. Today will probably be a rest day. How long has it been?
    I started seriously trying to lose weight in July. To date, I’ve lost about 3 pounds. I hope now that I’m feeling better, I’ll get more exercise, intentional and accidental. I had all the blood tests in May, all good. Needed to up my vitamin D a little. It will be interesting to see the next ones.
    Please do come back and let us know what your Dr. Finds, and what you’re trying and how it works. I haven’t given up yet. But I could sure use some help and support.
  • zoephoto
    zoephoto Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Have you checked your iron levels? Anemia can cause exhaustion, my iron levels dropped really low after my recent uterine surgery (although I already had iron deficiency anemia). I certainly have felt how you are describing. I hope you find the answer <3