Heart Rate Monitor and Turbo Jam

Options
Ok, wow. We bought a heart rate monitor and the exercise guide on here must be way off. I bust my butt for a straight 45 minutes doing Turbo Jam, am pouring sweat and only burned 183 calories!! Oh man, no wonder why i'm not losing weight. Geez, I don't know what to do. Can this really be accurate? That seems really low.

Replies

• auburngirl06
    auburngirl06 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Is the 183 calorie burn what your heart rate monitor told you?
  • PhatChic1186
    Options
    What kind of HRM do you have? Are you wearing a chest strap? That seems kinda low
  • kappy_hollowell
    Options
    Ok, wow. We bought a heart rate monitor and the exercise guide on here must be way off. I bust my butt for a straight 45 minutes doing Turbo Jam, am pouring sweat and only burned 183 calories!! Oh man, no wonder why i'm not losing weight. Geez, I don't know what to do. Can this really be accurate? That seems really low.

Are you using the cardio labeled "Kickboxing (including TurboJam)" ??? That's what I use to log my TurboFire workouts; it's fairly correct compared to the HR=Calorie burned calculators found on the internet.
  • Vegan_Chick
    Vegan_Chick Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    That sounds wrong. Were you wearing the chest strap accurately? your calories should be more than double that!
  • sarahsmart88
    Options
    There's definitely a chance that your heart rate monitor isn't working correctly. If I were you, I would try wearing it few times to compare results. Also, which kind did you get? Does it have a chest strap or is it the watch kind? I have heard that some brands aren't as good and don't count accurately when you sweat (which defeat the whole purpose if you ask me!). Try wearing it for different activities and compare those results to the counts here also.
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I use a HRM with a chest strap and I get about 300 calories burned in a 45 minute turbojam session.
  • dreamangel18105
    dreamangel18105 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Not sure what kind of HRM you have or what your real intensity level is, but even when I "hardly try" and just go through the motions, with 45 minutes of Turbo Jam there's no way I don't crack 250 calories. I think your monitor may be a little whacked! I'm 5'5 and 145ish, and in 45 minutes of Turbo Jam I'm consistently between 400-475 depending on my energy level for the workout.
  • Estrella30
    Estrella30 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    That doesnt sound right at all! MFP puts turbojam manually at around 700 cals burned for 40 mins. I use my own HRM and im at 520 and that at moderation.

did you read the directions to your HRM and does it have a chest strap?
  • BeLightYear
    BeLightYear Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Working full out for 45 minutes of Turbo Jam, I only burn about 375 calories. I was shocked also since I had used MFP kickboxing estimate (around 800 calories) before I got my HRM! I am 5'7" and weight 162 if that helps:flowerforyou:
  • maysflower
    Options
    That can't be right. Make sure you have put in all the correct information into your HRM, weight, height, age, etc. Also, if your HRM does not take your pulse then it will calculate your calories burned by using your weight, height and age....which is never very accurate. HRM's that take your pulse are much more accurate because they calculate your calories burned by using your heart rate, and all the other info (weight, height, etc.).
  • malenahan
    malenahan Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    What are some good Heart Rate Monitors that are relatively inexpensive?
  • dkvote
    Options
    It depends on how much you weigh as well...one of my friends is nearly 100lbs lighter than me and she doesn't burn even half as many calories doing the same exercise that I do, for the same amount of time.
  • iamlegion714
    iamlegion714 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Ladies, the HRM is a Polar FT7 with chest belt.

Hon, you said that it slipped a couple times and told you not reading or whatever it said. Next time we will tighten it a little more so that it reads constantly. I'm sure that skewed the numbers a bit. We can also figure your max heart rate and manually input that instead of using the default number. You are busting your butt and I am hella proud of you!!
  • jersgirl060606
    jersgirl060606 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Yes. I was logging my workouts under "kickboxing (including TurboJam)" and had even started deducting a few hundred calories from that estimate because I wanted to error on the side of lower calories. So yesterday I did 45 minutes and it calculated 680 calories and I only logged 400. I was blown away when it only calculated 183 this morning. It is a Polar FT7. I had it pretty tight and under my sports bra. It did beep a few times and say check position of the monitor. I may need to tighten it. I weigh 201 and am 5'2 if that helps.

Are you using the cardio labeled "Kickboxing (including TurboJam)" ??? That's what I use to log my TurboFire workouts; it's fairly correct compared to the HR=Calorie burned calculators found on the internet.
  • kimmrdodge
    kimmrdodge Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Are you wetting the contacts on the chest strap before you put it on? In order to keep it connected properly the contacts need to be wet. Hope that helps.
  • jersgirl060606
    jersgirl060606 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Yes, I wet the contact strips. The only thing I can think is if it wasn't tight enough or if when I was sweating to death it slipped a few times.
    Are you wetting the contacts on the chest strap before you put it on? In order to keep it connected properly the contacts need to be wet. Hope that helps.
  • Libby81
    Libby81 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Yes. I was logging my workouts under "kickboxing (including TurboJam)" and had even started deducting a few hundred calories from that estimate because I wanted to error on the side of lower calories. So yesterday I did 45 minutes and it calculated 680 calories and I only logged 400. I was blown away when it only calculated 183 this morning. It is a Polar FT7. I had it pretty tight and under my sports bra. It did beep a few times and say check position of the monitor. I may need to tighten it. I weigh 201 and am 5'2 if that helps.

I'm having trouble with my FT40. the chest strap gives really inaccurate readings I mean like jumping from HR of 90 to 200 and back and forth. I'm just about to register a warranty service and send it back. Last time it happened it was a problem with low batteries.

Are you washing the strap out between uses also?
  • Bella7810
    Options
    I've seen a lot of people saying they have this problem with the HRMs that include a cheststrap. There are several, including BodyBugg and ePulse, that do NOT have a chest strap but use an armband instead. I personally know some people who have them and they are much more accurate and seem to have so many fewer issues. Just a thought. I know those things are expensive so I'm not flippantly saying to just go out and get a new one. Just offering my two cents. :wink: