Hypothyroidism

Options
Was just wondering if anyone else out there suffers from hypothyroidism and is not regulated on the correct dose of medication for it, yet? It’s caused me to gain 30 lbs since 1/22 w/out me changing my eating habits or activity levels. I noticed my clothes weren’t fitting and just kept gaining weight. I never had a weight problem before so I was very confused. After my Dr doing the blood work and discovering my abnormal TSH levels, I was diagnosed, but still unable to be acclimated with the appropriate medication amounts, (types?) for me to be able to lose more than 4 lbs in 4 months. It’s a nightmare! I have changed everything I have ever eaten my whole life to all organic, whole, low fat, low sodium, low cholesterol, low calorie, low sugar, high protein, etc…foods. I’m very active. On top of that I do 5 40 min workouts a week. I haven’t lost another pound since Sept 6th. I don’t even eat 1200 calories a day. This is a horribly, frightening experience to go through and I was hoping someone may have some more insight and experience with this frustrating condition that they would like to share. I would love to hear from you! 🤯

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,266 Member
    Options
    I'm severely hypothyroid, but properly medicated.

Are you still in the process of adjusting medication levels to get to the right level? That should help. They can't give us the right dose initially, because there isn't a numerical way to predict it, giving us too much is dangerous to health, and it takes a few weeks for each dosage change to take full effect. I know that's frustrating along the way!

I hope they've looked at not only your TSH level, but also T3/T4 conversion. Are you working with a general practitioner, or an endocrinologist?

To the extent that hypothyroidism interferes with weight management, the most common mechanisms for that are:

* Water retention. If we retain more water, it can mask changes in body fat on the scale. (Bodies can be 60%+ water!)
    * Fatigue. This one is common with hypothyroidism. It can be obvious, or subtle, or - weirdly - a combination of both. If we're fatigued, we rest more, move less, burn fewer calories than the calorie needs calculators (like MFP) predict. Even fidgeting can burn a couple of hundred calories per day, so there can be subtle changes that are hard to notice in ourselves. Even more subtle, things like slower hair growth, slightly lower core body temperature, etc., can happen and reduce our calorie needs.
    * Appetite. Some conditions increase appetite. This should be obvious if calorie counting carefully, and logging every single day. That obviousness doesn't make it any easier to cope with, unfortunately. In addition, fatigue can increase appetite, too.

Some people report that eating low carb helps, but the research support for that is not strong, and I personally didn't need to eat low carb to lose weight. I've personally seen nothing that suggests the other diet modalities you suggest are relevant for hypothyroidism, that I can recall.

I'd caution that there are some really iffy web sites that want to sell you on supplements, diet programs, and such to "cure hypothyroidism". This is very much a "buyer beware" environment - caution is appropriate.

You're probably on target with this next bit, but having seen people here who weren't, I feel obligated to ask, for completeness: If you're currently on thyroid hormone medications, are you taking them religiously, on a reasonably fixed time schedule, consistently not eating for half to a full hour after taking them, and not taking them at the same time as calcium supplements, etc.? Those things can be important, and should be in your detailed patient instructions.

There's a good thread here about the science of hypothyroidism and weight management, that I'd highly recommend you read, if you haven't yet. It was written by an MFP-er who's a scientist in the hypothyroidism field, himself hypothyroid, who lost weight via calorie counting. It's here:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10767046/hypothyroidism-and-weight-management

I have a lot of empathy for what you're going through, but only limited ideas to help. I hope this won't come across in a bad way, but we do see people here who are not hypothyroid, but who report similar situations (slow or no weight loss, inconsistent with current work to lose weight). I'd note that all of the pitfalls to weight loss, and pitfalls to calorie counting, that apply to the general population also apply to those of us who are hypothyroid. It's understandable to blame the condition, but important to consider those other factors, like logging practices, exercise calorie estimation, etc.

I hope you're able to find a solution . . . getting properly medicated should help, but it can be a slow process. Wishing you good outcomes!
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,473 Member
    Options
    @AnnPT77 heck I'm not hypothyroid and I still appreciate you posting that link - learn something new everyday!