Sedentary workouts

Options
Workout suggestions, please... I ripped my medial ligament yesterday and am now in a leg brace for the next couple of weeks. I'm getting a scan next week to see what other treatment is needed.

Given that all swimming, rowing and C25K efforts are temporarily on hold, what workouts could I try besides pushing the buttons on my TV remote?

Replies

• Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,514 Member
    edited September 2022
    Options
    I saw this thing reviewed here recently.

Depending on your mobility, maybe some upper body stuff is possible, such as pullups, inverted rows, pushups, bench press, curls, etc.

https://youtu.be/r9DDu3PEUo4
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,525 Member
    Options
    TicTacToo wrote: »
    Workout suggestions, please... I ripped my medial ligament yesterday and am now in a leg brace for the next couple of weeks. I'm getting a scan next week to see what other treatment is needed.

Given that all swimming, rowing and C25K efforts are temporarily on hold, what workouts could I try besides pushing the buttons on my TV remote?
    If it's an MCL tear, it will heal on it's own. Time differs with people but if you rehab it correctly, you can get back to regular exercise within 2-3 months.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited September 2022
    Options
    Tearing a medial ligament shouldn't stop you from cycling so you can do as much cardio as you desire on a bike unless it's completely severed the ligament (a grade 3 tear) as there's no side to side or twisting forces involved but check with your physio (after your scan?) and if you get cleared to cycle make sure your saddle height is set correctly.

"Fun fact" that wasn't any fun at all at the time was that I had a huge high speed crash just 18 miles into a century ride and badly tore my medial ligament (high severity grade 2 tear). Didn't stop me from completing the next 82 miles (knew exactly what I had done from previous experience!).
    I did another Century ride two weeks later during my rehab in a record time for me - the hospital physio wasn't exactly enthusiastic but as long as I didn't crash again I wasn't putting it at risk of further damage just from the cycling.

Medial ligaments rarely need surgery unless completely detached and personally I would be very wary of total rest as that leads to significant and rapid muscle loss.
    Have you been given any exercises you can do while wearing the brace?

Get that assessment done A.S.A.P would be my main advice, I'd also be looking at getting a sports physio rather than a general physio as the latter can be very conservative with low ambitions for their patients.

PS - wearing a knee brace doesn't stop you doing upper body workouts.