Lunch meat

Options
Some times I like a sandwich besides turkey can you have ham and what kind

Replies

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,606 Member
    Options
    There are no strict rules unless you set them yourself. It’s all about CICO (calories in/calories out).

As long as it fits your calorie budget you can have deli ham, country ham, wagyu beef, or Hershey bars on your sandwich.

But at the end of the day, are you at your goal?

Boars Head, Kroger, Pubkix deli meats are very reasonable calories.

It’s not quite up to that standard, but Lidl and other stores have sliced ham that’s 50 calories for 56 grams. That’s what I’m having in a wrap for dinner, since I’m enjoying this delicious pizza for lunch. 👍🏻
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,020 Member
    Options
    Why would you think you can't have ham? Eat what you like, log it, move on. :)
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Sure, why not? Ham is also pretty low calories, depending the type. Can bump your sodium though, if you're worried about that.
  • ehju0901
    ehju0901 Posts: 366 Member
    edited September 2022
    Options
    As others have said, eat what you like. I'd weigh it so you are logging correctly, and I'd probably make sure I have plenty of water to help with sodium. Load that sandwich up with some veggies and make it great. The condiments, cheese or bread is usually where most of your calories come from, I'd be a bit more concerned about that than the type of lunch meat.

In my opinion, sandwiches don't need a lot of condiments to taste great. I put a little honey mustard, spicy brown mustard or mayo on and put some spicy pickles on to add flavor. :)
  • Thewonderofitall
    Thewonderofitall Posts: 97 Member
    edited September 2022
    Options
    I gave up "Deli" cold cuts from supermarkets a while back. I am now into Costco Kirkland cold cuts as they taste so much better!
    77u23kgd5i0h.jpg
    4g35774w6woj.jpg
    5nwrxgg4adk5.jpg
    Once I get them home I break out the scale and weight out 4oz portions. They are then individually wrapped. I then bag up a weeks (5-days) worth; Turkey, Ham, Roast Beef, Turkey Ham.
    I make my sandwich on half of a Costco Ciabatta Roll. (Watching Carbs!)
    wm7gwuvd09p1.jpg
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,619 Member
    Options
    I gave up "Deli" cold cuts from supermarkets a while back. I am now into Costco Kirkland cold cuts as they taste so much better!
    77u23kgd5i0h.jpg
    4g35774w6woj.jpg
    5nwrxgg4adk5.jpg
    Once I get them home I break out the scale and weight out 4oz portions. They are then individually wrapped. I then bag up a weeks (5-days) worth; Turkey, Ham, Roast Beef, Turkey Ham.
    I make my sandwich on half of a Costco Ciabatta Roll. (Watching Carbs!)
    wm7gwuvd09p1.jpg

Why doesn't the roast beef get a playmate?

OP, do you keep kosher? Then, no, no ham for you! Unless it's killed correctly. I think. I'm a bad jew.

And calories for weight goal, macros for satiety.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,606 Member
    Options
    One piddly, small but truly meaningful thing I really like about Lidl store brands, is that they put the calorie count right front and center on the packaging, including their deli meats.

I wish more vendors would do that.
  • Thewonderofitall
    Thewonderofitall Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »
    Why doesn't the roast beef get a playmate?

Because turkey and ham are lower calories then roast beef. I also have a beef hamburger every Sunday so that's it's playmate!

• glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,619 Member
    Options
    One piddly, small but truly meaningful thing I really like about Lidl store brands, is that they put the calorie count right front and center on the packaging, including their deli meats.

I wish more vendors would do that.

LOL especially the packaged deli meats. So much easier to see than twisting the package while it's still on the hook because you don't want to take it off in case you have to try to put it back ON the hook and it's usually such small print too. :)

(No, I haven't done that the first few times I started buying the Columbus brand low sodium turkey breast from Trader Joe's. Or that one time I was craving roast beef reeeeeeeeeeeally badly and a roast beef sandwich was nowhere to be found so I pondered making my own.)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,437 Member
    Options
    yankyfan76 wrote: »
    Some times I like a sandwich besides turkey can you have ham and what kind

*I* cannot have ham. Not any kind. (I'm vegetarian.)

You can, if you want some. Why not? It's food. It has nutrition. Count the calories, fit them in, you're all set.
  • happysquidmuffin
    happysquidmuffin Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    You may only have ham on the second Tuesday of the month, between the hours of 1:17pm and 4:32pm. It must be gold label smoked serrano ham produced in Spain in the late spring. And make SURE you call the manufacturer with the production code handy to ask if the pig was spotted. It doesn't matter whether it was or not, but you have to ask.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised at all the surprise at this question. Surely I am not the only one aware of the periodic messages in the media dissing processed meat?

Chicken is definitely my biggest source of animal protein, but deli ham is in the rotation too.