The road to 40......

Options
Morning all.

Enough is enough....its the final 6 months until I am 40 and after lots of false starts I'm finally getting my *kitten* in gear to lose weight.

I havr around 80lbs to lose....I know that's not achievable in 6 months but I'm hoping to make a good start on it.

Starting off with basics, more water, move more and tracking calories....

Anyone in a similar boat?

Replies

• JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    I turned 40 back in March. You got this!
  • tishnicole45
    tishnicole45 Posts: 2 Member
    edited September 2022
    Options
    I'll be 47 in Jan, it's been difficult trying to lose the same 40lbs for years now. I finally feel like I'm in a place of persistence even on days I mess up. I remind myself to get back up and continue on. You got this!!
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 2,000 Member
    Options
    44 and about a month or so ago finally had the realization that I was at the "make it or break it" point of my life. I could quit with the yo-yo fitness/weight and start down the right path (I already know what to do, just a mater of doing it) or plan on a slow deterioration.

I've not been away from the fitness and nutrition world, but my own discipline and prioritization has come in waves and resulted in yo-yo fitness and gaining/losing the same 10 pounds (which, even at the low end, is still a good 10-20 pounds from where I should be, give or take a bit for muscle gains).

It just hit me that I either choose to make this my life and spend the next 20 years doing what I love followed by another 20 years of being active and outdoors, or start the slow decline to suffering from serious physical limitations in my 60's.

Option B wasn't much of an option in my mind, and I also realized looking at the past few years of my life, this will also require prioritizing my health in all areas of my life, such as which jobs I'm willing to work/apply to/accept.

The past several years I've had more of a strength training focus and learned to love the weight room. The past two years in particular, however (since gyms closed), my cardio has declined. I still would hike or go for walks but anything really getting my heart rate up was sadly lacking, so working on adding more of that back in now that I have time in my schedule to make it happen.