Options
Hello my name is June and I am 68 years young, overweight, and I was recently told I am pre-diabetic. So I went to see a weight management doctor to avoid medication or surgery and was placed on a whole food plant-based diet emphasizing low fat/sugar. I’ve joined the premium group because I found counting macros to be difficult. I need to track my fat/sugar closely. I am learning to track on this app., and in the past three days I actually was surprise to have dropped 1.7lbs. Yahoo, I believe I am here to stay and of course much to learn.

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited September 2022
    Options
    Great start! Glad to hear you are taking your health in hand. If you have specific questions, please ask. There is a large community here to help.

Lots of good info to get you started in this thread.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,234 Member
    Options
    Hello, June, and welcome to the MFP Community!

There are a bunch of us 60+ folks here. I'm 66 and female myself, but at a different stage of the process, having lost weight from class 1 obese back in 2015-16, now hanging around here to maintain my weight in that healthy range. So far, in year 6+ at a healthy weight, so good.

You're doing a great thing for yourself, IMO. I was pretty surprised at how much quality of life improvement I felt from reaching a healthy body weight . . . and speaking only for myself, it was simpler than I'd imagined (though not psychologically easy every second, of course). I could kick myself for not doing it younger, to be honest.

Wishing you much success!
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,500 Member
    Options
    Hi June. Welcome to MFP.

I’m 60, hubs is 67.

He started here last year and within six months his tests permitted him to come off the diabetes meds he’s taken for several decades.

He walks daily, does Tai chi twice a week, and water aerobics five times a week.

I have literally watched him blossom again as the weight has come off. Face is younger, attitude is better, spring in his step. He no longer hems and haws when I suggest walking the dog with me. He just jumps up and gets his shoes and holds the door open.

I myself have lost from a 22W to a comfortable size 4.

For us, simply counting and staying within our calorie goals has “forced” us to reconsider what we eat. Just that simple act has made us reach for healthier choices, which in turn has made our sugar and carbs go down without fretting over them. If you stick with the calorie counting, you’ll do things like “weigh” the “cost” of a serving of cookies versus a more filling and longer lasting smoothie that might be the same number of calories.

Heck, just learning that a three mile walk doesn’t erase a family size pack of DoubleStuff was eye opening to me, dumb as that sounds.

These boards are an epic source of support and information. Read them regularly.

Much success to you!
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,500 Member
    Options
    Another thing, congrats on the fast success, but please know, “weight loss is not a straight line”.

You’re going to yoyo from day to day, week to week. It could be salt, travel, extra food, muscle soreness and joint pain, I swear to heaven, even outdoor humidity or temperature affect my weight.

If someone had told me to expect the yoyo’ing on Day One, it would have saved me much gnashing if teeth and second guessing myself.