Should be losing weight

Options
but it doesn't seem to be happening.

I did the math for the last 11 days. BMR-total calories ingested+calories burned to give me total calories burned, which for the last 11 days was 19,800. I then divided that by 3500 which gave me roughly 5.6. So that should have been 5.6 pounds lost right? I haven't lost 1 pound!

Has anyone else experienced this? Know what to do to jumpstart things??

Replies

• ellamira
    ellamira Posts: 8
    Options
    but it doesn't seem to be happening.

I did the math for the last 11 days. BMR-total calories ingested+calories burned to give me total calories burned, which for the last 11 days was 19,800. I then divided that by 3500 which gave me roughly 5.6. So that should have been 5.6 pounds lost right? I haven't lost 1 pound!

Has anyone else experienced this? Know what to do to jumpstart things??
  • Paeonia
    Paeonia Posts: 161
    Options
    Yeah I'm there as well...exercising, making sure I'm eating enough/not too much, and nada...I dunno, the body is weird :grumble: Just have to keep going and hope things kick into gear.
  • Etta
    Etta Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    From the info you've provided, it looks like you may not be taking in enough calories. Your body may be "freaking out" and going into starvation mode. Check this out:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

The amount of calories burned (are they your exercise calories?) seem like a lot. What's the minimum amount of calories a day you have to take in? Are you eating your exercise calories? I know it sounds weird, but you need to eat most (if not all) of your exercise calories.
    MFP has me set to lose 1.7 lbs/wk, which has me at 1200 calories a day. I eat most of my exercise calories and have been losing 2 lbs/wk since I started.

126046.png
  • ellamira
    Options
    Min number of calories a day I'm supposed to take in is 1700.

I came up with total calories burned by taking my BMR and subtracting the total calories I ate in a day. Then I took that number and added the number of calories I burned through exercise. On average I have been burning 1500 calories per day from exercise.

I see where it says how many calories I've earned due to exercise so should I then be adding those 1500 calories back into my diet for the day? That seems wierd to me. Doesnt' it just undo what all the exercise did?

I'm gonna check out that link! Thanks!
  • Etta
    Etta Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it does sound crazy, but it works. With 1500 calories left at the end of they day is a lot. The link that Banks posted explains it better than I can, but, essentially, your body doesn't have the fuel it needs to run. It's kinda like driving on an empty gas tank. Try eating most of those calories. I had to get creative in order to eat them in a healthy way. I snack now, which I didn't before.
    I hope the link helps!

126046.png
  • ellamira
    Options
    I read it, and it actually makes a bit of sense. I'm going to try to add some calories in throughout the day and see if that helps.

Seems kinda crazy to think that to lose weight I have to eat more. But I'll try anything at this point. I've been feeling like a failure for the past few days because I thought I was doing everything right!

Thanks again!
  • Falcon
    Falcon Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    wait a second, some people on this website say you're not supposed to be eating your exercise calories, so we should be consuming the exercise calories as well we our normal intake then?

If you don't eat your exercise calories your body goes into survival mode making it difficult to lose weight?
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    yes. you should be eating them. There are a few that don't, but that's their choice.
  • Falcon
    Falcon Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    explains why I seem to be stale mate for the past week now I should've been down two pounds by now
  • rlw911
    rlw911 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I just have to ask this - you're burning 1500 calories a day in exercise???? What type of exercises are you doing? I hope that doesn't come our wrong, I'm truly just curious. :smile:
  • ellamira
    Options
    I'm doing an hour on the bike in the morning. Which according to this site burns 1105 calories
    and I do an hour of water aerobics in the evening which burns 635. So really that's 1740 calories per day. I could stay longer and do more but I'm trying to make sure its something that's easy for me to maintain. An hour in the morning and an hour in the evening is easy for me to keep up with.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    1st, get a Heart Rate Monitor. Don't rely on the site's estimations for calories burned, they are an estimate at best and can be up to 300 calories off for that long of an exercise session.

2nd, forget your BMR, BMR isn't something you need to worry about right now. You should find out what your maintenance calories are (you can do that by setting your goals to zero lbs per week), find out what you are truely burning in exercise, add them together, subtract no more than 1000 (maybe less, but 1000 is about as far as you want to push it). And that is what you should be eating a day.

Adding to that, eat a good balanced breakfast, try to eat 6 meals a day (3 meals and 3 snacks). And eat more in the morning and less at night. And pay attention to your macro nutrients (fats, carbohydrates, and protein).

If you do all this, you will most likely start loosing a healthy 1 to 2 lbs a week. If you don't after doing all this for about A MONTH, and seeing no results, then you might want to go get your metabolism checked because you might have a medical condition or your metabolism might be slower then normal (which this site wouldn't take into account).
    Then and only then can you say this isn't working for you.

Hope this helps. :flowerforyou:

-Banks
  • rlw911
    rlw911 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I'm doing an hour on the bike in the morning. Which according to this site burns 1105 calories
    and I do an hour of water aerobics in the evening which burns 635. So really that's 1740 calories per day. I could stay longer and do more but I'm trying to make sure its something that's easy for me to maintain. An hour in the morning and an hour in the evening is easy for me to keep up with.

Thanks for the info! I do 45 minutes of cardio, constant moving & from what I've been able to find, that's nowhere near 1100 calories. I don't think my butt could handle that much time on a bike seat - even with my extra padding! :grumble: :laugh: I'm really cautious about the numbers for calories and exercise, but especially the exercise! I'm so afraid of being over/under by enough to sabotage my weight loss. I finally found an HRM at a good price, so I ordered one. Now, I'm just patiently waiting for it to get here! :grumble: