Milder SF Drinks

Options
PowerKickChic
PowerKickChic Posts: 108 Member
edited September 2022 in Food and Nutrition
I have been drinking freshly brewed raspberry hibiscus tea (with other stuff like rose hips) sweetened with sugar for years.
Apparently its doing a number on my teeth because every ingredient in the tea itself is highly acidic. My dentist was not impressed and told me I need to find something else.

I am using the opportunity to go sugar free and even though there is citric acid in the mixes, its still less that what I drank and I am using a straw most of the time to avoid exposure.

The problem is, I like flavor in my drink but I dislike water enhancers and all the SF mixes I have tried so far makes me feel like Im drinking a lollipop.
Its way too strong and tart...and sugary. I just tried watering Crystal light raspberry ice tea down and somehow it tastes like the sugar was diluted but the tartness stayed and seems so much worse somehow lol. ugh lol

Is anyone drinking something more flavorful than a water enhancers and doesnt taste like a jolly rancher was dissolved in a glass of sugar water? I dislike that level or tartness, a little is preferable.

If 0 was water and 10 was lemonade, I am looking for the 2-4 area level

Thank you so very much

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    If you still want to drink what you like, just make sure to rinse your mouth out with water after finishing your drink. Will greatly reduce the acid left behind.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Have you tried something like this, where you diffuse actual fruit into your water?

1tmc2fl3gsb3.jpg
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,838 Member
    Options
    I like using bitters (like you'd use in cocktails) in plain sparkling water, or even plain water. They come in flavors, not just plain "bitter" or herbal-bitter. I have peach, smoked orange, chocolate, olive, cucumber, grapefruit . . . I forget what all. Sampler sets exist. They're not cheap, but a small bottle lasts quite a long time, in the quantities used. On the web, there are even recipes to make your own. (Some are sweetened, but not all.)

Without intending to say you should patronize them, you can look on Amazon to get an idea of how much variety is available commercially. It only takes a small amount (eyedropper) to give a drink some flavor. I assume some are acidic, but suspect the net acidity once in a full glass of water would be pretty low (but I'm just guessing).

It's not to everyone' taste, but it's an option.

Typical matcha (green tea leaf powder, loosely) is alkaline. Not everyone like the flavor, but I do (and I drink it cold.)

I suspect some herbal teas would be neutral to acidic. Any fresh or dried herb/spice can be infused in water, though some might infuse best if heated in the water.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    Options
    As the weather cools off here, I start to go back to my "fall tea." I think of it as a replacement for a cocktail.

In a teapot or large mason jar, use any combination of the following:

Chamomile tea bag
    Orange zest (bend the peel into the jar to add the oil)
    Whole thyme leaf (buy fresh and allow to dry)
    Fresh ginger root (cut in thin slices)
    Fresh turmeric, crushed (sometimes hard to find, can use a dash of powdered)
    Whole black pepper corns

You can experiment by substituting bay leaf or rosemary for the thyme, or lemon instead of orange, or cardamom instead of turmeric, or or or...

Put it all in the jar and add boiling water. Wait for it to cool a bit (or completely, for the iced version). Serve as-is or with honey or agave. You can add a second round of boiling water and still get a lot of flavor.