Ab workout with sensitive lower back?

Options
Can anyone suggest one that works please? I have googled for some but they never seem to work

Replies

• jakecan4sure
    Options
    maybe work on strengthening your lower back first. If all you're doing is ab it's going to make the sensitive back more sensitive. try doing sets of super mans until your lower back gets stronger.
  • MaggieMay131
    MaggieMay131 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    My chiropractor has told me that until your back issues start healing up, do not do anything where you're lying on the ground because that will just wreak havoc on your back even more! Try things like bird-dogs, supermans, etc. Those things work your core more than just your "abs," but it'll help with the back too. I know those aren't super ab workouts but I hope that helps a little!
  • Sherie13
    Sherie13 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I have a bad back too. This would be great to know!
  • HOSED49
    HOSED49 Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    do planks hurt ya?
  • karenyg
    Options
    I do crunches on my bed in the mornig and at night, you're not coming up as far as you would with a regular situp, I do it with my knees up and with my legs strecthed out. I have lower back problems also. Try this let me know if it works for you. :smile:
  • mcdonl
    mcdonl Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    WARNING - I AM NOT A DOCTOR OR QUALIFIED TO ANSWER THIS...

But, the P90X Core Synergistics workout has a few good "standing" ab exercises that are easy on the back.

Also, something I learned from other Beach Body video's are to always flex/tighten your abs doing any workout and it will help you with your abs....
  • statia152
    Options
    I am doing Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred. Its tough, but it has helped my lower back. I had to increase my pain meds, use Ben Gay and ice daily along with a trip to the chiropractor, but by the end of Level 2, my abs were stronger thus helping my lower back. All I can suggest is you push through it and it will eventually get better. I know how hard it can be. Good luck to you :flowerforyou:
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    I have two disc herniations in my back, and I do crunches while laying my lower back on a ball. It's amazing.
  • Nikkerz620
    Nikkerz620 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Pilates work for me.
    Some exercises I put my hands under my butt and it seems to put less pressure on my back when laying down.

Once your core gets stronger it'll help your back. I've noticed a huge difference in my lower back issues since working on my core.

Jillian Michaels has her ab workout 6 week 6 pack it's a bit intense but she does some standing moves that work your abs. I haven't had an issue with my back when doing that video at all.
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    last night when I did the 1500 / 300 challenge I did front left right front, but my friend who said the front ones hurt his back, he alternated between right and left crunches, as it was easier on his back. Hope that helps!
  • catherine1979
    catherine1979 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Core strengthening will definitely help with back pain, but you have to be very careful. Planks (can be done from the elbows), side planks (can be done from the knees)... there are so many exercises but they are really hard to explain, and if done incorrectly they could do more harm than good. An exercise ball could be very helpful as well, you can do sit ups and push ups from the ball and it really helps with strength and stability. I suffered an L3/L4 and L4/L5 herniation, and those are somethings that worked for me.
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    This is what worked for me:
    Standing abs are much easier on the back. Also, try doing them on a pilates ball instead of on the floor. Also, look for exercises that help strengthen the back.
  • purplebabe2025
    purplebabe2025 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Bird dogs and super . . .forgot the other one. Wouldn't have an idea on what those were if I didn't download an app that has those. Really helpful to know this. Great help. Ta kindly
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    I have two disc herniations in my back, and I do crunches while laying my lower back on a ball. It's amazing.

This works wonders. BUT if you're even more sensitive and this doesn't work, I suggest doing them in the pool. I had back surgery in Oct '99 and was unable to do anything for 3 months. When I went to PT I ended up in such pain I could barely walk. Dr. sent me to a Physiatrist and he recommended the deep water aerobics. In a 6 month period I went from not being able to do any sort of crunch or twisting my torso to being able to that and more. It's taken me years, but now I can do REALLY hard crunches on land without any issues!

Good luck!
  • michy_elliot
    Options
    I have a bulging disk in my lumbar spine. When I do anything on the floor, I use a thick, soft sheepskin rug. It's much more cushioning than a yoga mat.
  • krik84
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I think I am going to work on my lower back strength first like the first couple of poster said- makes a lot of sense
  • Nikusz
    Nikusz Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    also when you get well enough to start doing any kind of crunches, sit-ups, leg lifts etc, keep your legs bent in the knees (not laying straight on the floor) - it also takes some pressure out of the lumbar spine.
  • alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    The key isn't so much which Ab exercises you do but more how you do them. I have two bulging/herniated discs in my lower back. The best thing I didn for my back was strengthen my Abs. One thing I remember very clearly from my physical therapist was his statement that most people have very weak Ab muscles. So the back muscles start to compensate and that can lead to injury.

The big thing with doing Ab exercises is to make sure that you're only engaging your ab muscles and not letting your back muscles try to do the work. For many people this takes some effort to learn. It's almost a feeling of sucking in your stomach and using that muscle contraction to initiate the movement of your upper body.

There are some machines at the gym that have specific Ab exercises. These typically should help you isolate you abdominals. Be slow and methodical, don't try to race through your reps, and focus on only using your ab muscles to complete the motions. You'll do great!!
  • diggsy1
    Options
    I agree with the superman, this should help with the lower back. I've been down a similar route and the "weak back builder" really helped me with my lower back, the link to it is http://weakbackbuilder.com/ have a look, there's some useful information in there....