I think I am losing too much too fast - help or suggestions

Options
Hi. I began my weight loss journey approximately a month ago.
I then weighed 13.8 stone. I now weigh 12.10.
Almost a stone gone in a month I feel this is too much too fast, however I am eating between 500-700 calories below my maintenance. So I am taking in 1700-2000 calories when my maintenance is 2500.

My job involves a lot of walking, physical work also. Then I have incorporated 3 gym sessions a week always finishing with a 15 minute fast paced jog on the treadmill.

Diet is super clean, haven't had a 'cheat' meal or any alcohol since I started. But always hitting 1700-2000 calories. It's not like Im starving myself and only taking 1300 calories per day.

Can anyone advise me as I really don't want to screw up my metabolism.

I had planned on re-evaluating my daily calories this week as it would be 1 month. But I'm not sure that is wise now, as I might not be eating enough?

Replies

• Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    Translating, that's 12 pounds.

Are you eating back those workout calories? It reads like that 2500 maintenance estimate is for a fairly active regular day, without the additional gym sessions? You're probably burning an additional 300-400 each gym session.

12 pounds in a month is a lot, though some of that is likely water weight. You don't need to worry about your metabolism, but you may want to consider adjusting so it's a 500 calorie deficit (including accounting for the gym), to target 1 pound per week. Then consider a maintenance break in a couple of months, depending how well you're sticking to it and how well it's going.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Yes a month is a decent time period to re-evaluate your calories.

And yes, it does sound like you should be adjusting calories upwards. You really don't want to be losing at 3lbs / week. If that weight loss has been fairly even over the last four weeks you are way under calories.

"So I am taking in 1700-2000 calories when my maintenance is 2500"
    Going by your weight loss your true maintenance level could well be much higher than that. Estimates need to be fed the right data and in the end are just estimates to start you off. Adjusting based on results and trends is the way to really personalise and dial in your true numbers.

Did you set your activity level to reflect your physical job?
    Are you eating back exercise calories as this site intends you to?
  • GaryMcFall
    GaryMcFall Posts: 2 Member
    Options

Are you eating back those workout calories? It reads like that 2500 maintenance estimate is for a fairly active regular day, without the additional gym sessions? You're probably burning an additional 300-400 each gym session.

12 pounds in a month is a lot, though some of that is likely water weight. You don't need to worry about your metabolism, but you may want to consider adjusting so it's a 500 calorie deficit (including accounting for the gym), to target 1 pound per week. Then consider a maintenance break in a couple of months, depending how well you're sticking to it and how well it's going.

Thanks for the reply.

On Gym days I was trying to focus on eating more carbs rather than calories - point taken though. I will increase my calories for gym days. Albeit through carbs too.

My goal is 12 stone (168lbs) as that is considered healthy for my height (5 ft 8).

Perhaps best course of action for now is increase calories, and try not to too fast too soon.

It is a marathon not a sprint

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,165 Member
    Options
    Just in to second the idea that what MFP or some other calculator gives you as a starting point is no more than a statistical estimate. Even a fitness tracker just gives a statistical estimate, though a more personalized one. Statistical estimates will be close, if you're close to average (and estimate your activity level and exercise spot on with the calculator's assumptions). Most people are close to average, a few aren't . . . and the reasons they aren't average may not be obvious.

I found I had to eat 25-30% more calories that MFP (and my fitness tracker) estimate, for any given rate of loss (or maintenance) . . . and that's as compared with 7 years now of logging eating/bodyweight. Along the way to figuring that out, early in my calorie counting experience, I got weak and fatigued, then it took multiple weeks to recover normal energy and strength. No one needs that! And I'm lucky nothing worse happened, because fast loss can trigger some serious health problems - not for sure, but it does increase the risks.

Eat more!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    GaryMcFall wrote: »

Thanks for the reply.

On Gym days I was trying to focus on eating more carbs rather than calories - point taken though. I will increase my calories for gym days. Albeit through carbs too.

My goal is 12 stone (168lbs) as that is considered healthy for my height (5 ft 8).

Perhaps best course of action for now is increase calories, and try not to too fast too soon.

It is a marathon not a sprint

Unlike other sites which use TDEE calculators, MFP uses the NEAT method (Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis), and as such this system is designed for exercise calories to be eaten back. However, many consider the burns given by MFP to be inflated for them and only eat a percentage, such as 50%, back. Others are able to lose weight while eating 100% of their exercise calories.

https://support.myfitnesspal.com/hc/en-us/articles/360032625391-How-does-MyFitnessPal-calculate-my-initial-goals-