Beta blockers

Options
I have recently been diagnosed with atrial fibrillation and am currently taking bisoprolol, lixiana and losartan. I’ve found that even while I’m working out at the gym my heart rate is reduced (I used to aim for 130-140 bpm and now I’m struggling to get above 110)
Will this affect my calorie burn? According to my smart watch I’m burning a lot fewer calories, but if I’m still putting the same effort in surely I’m still burning the same cals?
Thanks for any input 🙌🏻

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    Are you doing cardio or strength training?
    I took beta blockers a short while, a long time ago: I seem to remember working out being harder.
    If it's truly the same effort, I think the calorie burn should be the same. IMHO, this just illustrates one of the pitfalls of HR based calorie estimates.
  • FatladNeil
    FatladNeil Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your reply, I’m doing around 30 minutes cardio and 30-45 minutes on the weights. I have an appointment this afternoon with my health coach so I’ll ask him what he thinks and let you know. Have a good day 😊
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Yes your calories will be affected if your exercise intensity is reduced.

But if your cardio is achieving the same performance in terms of distance / time / power output (depending on what your cardio is) then the calories will be the same. Remember that heartbeats are not a measurement of energy.
    I was on BB for a while and they put an artifical cap on the intensity level I could achieve but a cap of just 110 seems very low and I'd mention it to your treatment team.

BTW - don't use HR for weight training calorie estimates! It's not cardio and the calorie burns are not in relation to your (highly variable) pulse during weight training. If your smart watch has a specific mode for weight/strength training it will be switching to a METS based estimate - just like the one in the database here. If it doesn't have a specific mode the chances are you will get very exaggerated estimates.
  • FatladNeil
    FatladNeil Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Yes your calories will be affected if your exercise intensity is reduced.

But if your cardio is achieving the same performance in terms of distance / time / power output (depending on what your cardio is) then the calories will be the same. Remember that heartbeats are not a measurement of energy.
    I was on BB for a while and they put an artifical cap on the intensity level I could achieve but a cap of just 110 seems very low and I'd mention it to your treatment team.

BTW - don't use HR for weight training calorie estimates! It's not cardio and the calorie burns are not in relation to your (highly variable) pulse during weight training. If your smart watch has a specific mode for weight/strength training it will be switching to a METS based estimate - just like the one in the database here. If it doesn't have a specific mode the chances are you will get very exaggerated estimates.
    Thanks for that info, I don’t use the hr monitor for weights, I only use it for cardio. I was just curious whether my workouts would be less productive.

• SuzanneC1l9zz
    SuzanneC1l9zz Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    Does your tracker allow you to set a custom HRmax? If so, maybe take a look at this calculator:

https://fameexercise.com/delivering-fame/exercise-and-activity-goals/

Not perfect of course, but then neither is any other method.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    edited September 2022
    Options
    Your heart rate is not a reliable indicator of calorie burn. On a beta blocker, your heart rate will be slower. It does not mean your workout are less productive.
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    beta blockers are to basically make your heart beat more effectively. it wont interfere with weight loss. you should feel better and have more energy if your afib is controlled.

just fyi. my heart rate runs in the 40's. still have lost 100lbs
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »
    Are you doing cardio or strength training?
    I took beta blockers a short while, a long time ago: I seem to remember working out being harder.
    If it's truly the same effort, I think the calorie burn should be the same. IMHO, this just illustrates one of the pitfalls of HR based calorie estimates.

Yup, I'm on them intermittently (for migraine, not blood pressure so only take when needed) and my doctor told me straight up that they would make my legs feel heavier and my workouts harder.
  • Seasonal_One
    Seasonal_One Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I took Beta Blockers for about 4 months a few years ago. Had no energy at all. Didn't feel like doing anything but sleeping. Just sharing my experience and not saying this happens to all.
  • Hiawassee88
    Hiawassee88 Posts: 35,754 Member
    Options
    FatladNeil wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply, I’m doing around 30 minutes cardio and 30-45 minutes on the weights. I have an appointment this afternoon with my health coach so I’ll ask him what he thinks and let you know. Have a good day 😊

Have you ever had a neck injury. A pinched nerve in your neck. :#