Cardio + strength 2 times a week plan?

Options
TL;DR what is a good work out plan that allows for decent strength gains and improves cardiovascular fitness that is 2 days a week (even if workouts take 1.5 to even 2 hours each session).

I'm a mid 40s dude who has been overweight his whole life. About 5 years ago I had a wake up call and dropped 30 pounds from 230 over the course of about 5 months. Since that point I've had some rebounding up and down about 10 pounds and gained a bunch back during covid. but I've hit a "floor" in the high 190s.

I do intermittent fasting which helps on the intake side. I've done stronglifts for the last 2-3 years on and off. I really like stronglifts. While it doesn't help with the weight it does help with body composition. However, my cardio fitness is crappy and I get winded climbing multiple flights of stairs if I only do strength.

I think my ideal goal would be to get to around 180 but be strong and have cardiovascular fit. Is there a good program that can accomplish this in 2 days a week of working out?

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Welp, I was gonna recommend Stronglifts. :D When you say "it doesn't help with the weight", do you mean your body weight? Because you need to make changes in the kitchen for that, not the gym.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what type of cardio training you're interested in based on the post. Is your preferred approach to do both workouts on the same day at a gym, or something else? You could certainly get some benefit by doing cardio work in the gym, whether on an assault bike, a rower or a treadmill. As a cardio focused guy, I do lots of it and almost all of it outdoors during the warm weather(swim, bike, run) then indoor bike/swim in the cold months.

With that said, a 2 day/week plan would help to build cardio fitness over time. Depending on how much
    cardio work you want to do, a third day that increases workout time and/or intensity would be beneficial. For example, many beginning run programs are based on 3 days of running, starting out as a run/walk approach.

• Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    Are you still progressing weight with SL? It may be time to switch to a more hypertrophy targeted program or something else if so.

https://www.characterstrength.co.uk/post/what-to-do-after-stronglifts-5x5

As you probably know, two workouts a week looking to progress both strength and cardio are somewhat conflicting goals.

Anyway, do sprints. Doesn't mean running or treadmill. Any cardio of your choice. Sprint at 80% max effort for 30 secs, go slower for 1-3 mins to recover, repeat several times. Optionally vary the sprint intensity, increasing to 90% or 100% effort, or adding time to the sprint. You should be able to get a decent amount in at the end of your strength workout in maybe 20 mins.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,583 Member
    Options
    Are you still progressing weight with SL? It may be time to switch to a more hypertrophy targeted program or something else if so.

https://www.characterstrength.co.uk/post/what-to-do-after-stronglifts-5x5

As you probably know, two workouts a week looking to progress both strength and cardio are somewhat conflicting goals.

Anyway, do sprints. Doesn't mean running or treadmill. Any cardio of your choice. Sprint at 80% max effort for 30 secs, go slower for 1-3 mins to recover, repeat several times. Optionally vary the sprint intensity, increasing to 90% or 100% effort, or adding time to the sprint. You should be able to get a decent amount in at the end of your strength workout in maybe 20 mins.

Ehhh, I dunno. That's a potentially great approach in the long run, I agree - and I usually agree with most of your (Retroguy's) fitness advice.

With OP saying "my cardio fitness is crappy and I get winded climbing multiple flights of stairs", I'd suggest he start with a few weeks of longer duration, more moderate intensity steady state cardio to build base CV capability and endurance, then phase in interval work gradually as longer-duration moderate steady state gets easier.

OP reports being willing to spend some time on the workout days. Base work would both burn more calories overall for X time period (in most cases, especially for someone deconditioned - because able to continue longer duration) and accumulate less fatigue (which could interfere with the weight work more recovery-wise, as well as fatigue being more unpleasant for most people and potentially bleeding calorie burn out of daily life activity) .

Base for a while, then introduce intervals or intensity: That's pretty standard advice IME for building CV fitness, at least in my sport.

OP: 100% yes to the "whatever cardio you enjoy" idea. Things we enjoy are more likely to actually happen, vs. unpleasant things (even if theoretically "better") we tend to shortcut or put off with the slightest excuse.

I'd suggest a mild bias in favor of some cardio that doesn't stress your less robust current capabilities, to complement your strength work. My priorities are different by far from yours, but I don't do much leg strength work in season, because it doesn't play well with my priority, on water rowing - I don't recover properly, though that's in a context of more than 2 days a week.

Doing both strength and cardio in one session twice a week, as you seem to a have in mind, I think the cross-effects may still be a relevant consideration, especially as you ramp up total volume across all the exercise modalities. Different cardio types do stress the body in different ways.

Just my opinions, though.
  • Retroguy2000
    Options
    @AnnPT77 Fair points. I was coming from the angle that twice weekly is not much time to try and build cardio and strength, and that as a male at <200 pounds who has been lifting for two years, their cardio can't be that bad? And sprints are time efficient and effective. It's good advice to ramp up though.
  • BlackJack96
    BlackJack96 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the feedback. I LOVE Stronglifts and it makes me feel and look great. However, my appetite goes up when I’m lifting (which means I eat both good and bad foods so put on fat and muscle). Also, when I do stronglifts especially as the weights increase I find I have zero energy after the workout to do cardio. I was trying to do Stronglifts plus C25k but would find that after lifting I could maybe jog for 10-15 mins. I guess What I’m looking for is a lifting program that’s not so intense focusing on strength but not so aggressive as stronglifts. Is it worth it to do stronglifts but not progress as aggressively to save some energy for cardio? @Retroguy2000 I guess I was exagerrating that the cardio was that bad. I just find that I know I could be in better cardiovascular shape. So I guess what I’m looking for is a strength workout that takes 45ish minutes that will leave me with enough head room to walk/bike/run after. I could do strong lifts and just not push the weights so hard. I’m about to “start over” since I had to take a break since I got bursitis in my femur so was in PT but ready to get back out there.
  • Retroguy2000
    Options
    After your noob gains, which you've probably already had, you'll build strength and muscles through progressive overload. So more intensity, more volume, etc. Not only are you only doing two workouts a week, which isn't a lot when looking for more gains, you suggest that you want to do less in those workouts so that you have more energy for a tougher cardio workout in the same session. This is an example of the competing goals I mentioned above.

Your best option is do the cardio outside of those two strength sessions. Hit the gym again, or get a bike or rower or something for home, or start doing a sport or other outside activity. Rucking is an option.

Or, cut back on the strength workouts for a couple of months and just do enough there to maintain, freeing up more energy to improve your cardio for a while.