Try as I might - I am NOT a morning exercise person

Options
Alatariel75
Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
edited September 2022 in Fitness and Exercise
And I'm not talking a mental thing!

I have tried over the years to engage with morning workouts of varying intensity and I have come to the conclusion that my body just *can't*. The most basic of things, like walking up multiple flights of stairs or a 3km walk, things that I can do without a thought any other time of the day are damn near impossible in the morning.

This morning I'm WFH, but the hubster was in the office, so I got up at the same time as him, walked him to the station and continued on a 3km walk. It's a walk I do a lot, same circuit, I often do it on my lunch break. It's flat and a breeze, just a night light walk. But in the morning - by the time I'm on the homeward stretch, my legs are heavy and shaky, I'm breathing heavy, and I'm exhausted.

Same this on the way to work - leaving the station means travelling up 2 large escalators. During the day, I can walk them with ease, even semi-jog them. In the morning, I can barely make it up half of one before my legs are burning, I'm out of breath and I have to stop on risk of falling back down them.

I've tried eating first thing (not a fan of breakfast that early but I've tried a snack of dried fruit and nuts for a bit of a boost) and it doesn't help, plus I do 16:8 IF and that buggers up my fast.

Can anyone relate? An I just doomed to underperform to the point of uselessness in the mornings? I'd love to be able to knock a workout out first thing so I didn't have to do it later, but it seems unobtainable!

This is mostly a whinge but if anyone has any insight or suggestions I'd appreciate it!

Replies

• Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    I am much the same way. I *can* do a morning workout, but it won't be as intense - lighter weights, fewer reps, etc. - because it takes me about two hours to fully wake up in the morning! It's like my brain engages, but my body is very slow to join it. I find I do best if I workout midday. Anytime between about 10:00 AM and 3:00 PM.
  • _Dan1985
    _Dan1985 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I exercise for 40-60 minutes a day, always in the evening. If I try it in the morning I'm slow, unfocussed and can't get going properly.

I don't think there's necessarily anything wrong with me, people are different in so many ways, often wired differently. Not a morning person and never have been.

That said it's possibly habitual. If I did morning exercise every single day, my body might adapt. I remember being woken up by a drill instructor at 5am, we were all told to get dressed and immediately go on a one-mile run, that was horrific, finding myself running up a hill when 90 seconds ago I was sleeping. I think I started to get used to it though.
  • amberchen86
    amberchen86 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    You don't have to work out first thing in the morning who said you have to.Do your work out when you feel like to.You get better results if you work out at the time that you have the most energy. I am a morning person so I do it first thing in the morning.Because you are fasting before 8am,it would be hard to have lots energy before 8am.I always need to eat something before work out so I can get the max results.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited September 2022
    Options
    I'm not as extreme as you but early morning exercise is the worst time for me, I can (and sometimes do) make myself exercise early but I don't enjoy it as much and simply don't perform as well.
    Back and knees don't work well first thing either (old injuries) - just lifting my 2 YO granddaughter out of her cot and carrying her down the stairs at 7am yesterday felt quite risky!

Retirement freed me from "the tyranny of the clock" and having fit in with other people's schedules and allowed me to (mostly) let me adopt a schedule that suits me. Late to bed, late (8am) to get up.
    My best energy levels (not just exercise) are between 11am and 11pm and that's when I get my exercise in, when I was still working it used to frustrate me that my gym shuts at 10pm.

As my main sport is cycling organised events and club rides are problematic as they tend to be early starts, mostly I'm just heading out for a solo ride as the majority of riders are heading home.
    100 mile event this year had me starting before 7am and for the first half I was feeling cold, stiff and sluggish but the second half geting into my exercise sweet spot I felt strong and energised and was maintaining a far higher average speed.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,115 Member
    Options
    I'm not a morning person either. I see people posting about getting up at 4AM and exercising at 5AM and I'm just thinking 'that's not morning, that's the middle of the night'.
    Even at a more realistic 7 or 8AM, I doubt my workouts would be very productive.
    Around 10 or 11 AM is better, but obviously that's only an option on the weekend, and I only do that when I won't have time later in the day.

I know myself, I'll never be that morning workout person: for performance and also I wouldn't be able to go to bed in time to even get up early enough for that. I know I perform best in the afternoon, so I usually work out right after work and right before dinner. It is what it is!
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,394 Member
    Options
    Nope, me neither. My muscles don't quite work yet and I'm low in energy. Something strenuous like running is only possible after dinner in the evening, and long hikes and the likes... I'd rather start late.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I'm just the opposite--I'm dead on my feet after cleaning up the supper dishes. My energy levels are high in the morning, and although I wake up stiff and sore with OA, moving loosens me up and I can better face the day. It might be your IF that gives you low energy levels in the morning, but by and large, people are just different--and that's OK. Do it when you enjoy it, and fit it in later. You don't get extra points for morning exercise.

One thing I'll mention. My energy levels as a whole were low this Spring so I started taking a multivitamin (I'm 67, and things change as you age) and they bounced right back, so I'm keeping that up.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    Some people aren't. I would venture to guess that possibly sleeping time and eating time make some of the difference. I eat up to 11pm at night. I'm up at 4:30am each morning and then working out by 5:30am usually. My workouts are relatively short since I only train one body part a day. And then also do 30 minutes minimum of cardio depending on the day.
    The one luxury I have is I get to take a nap later in the afternoon before coming in for my evening shift.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,115 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Some people aren't. I would venture to guess that possibly sleeping time and eating time make some of the difference. I eat up to 11pm at night. I'm up at 4:30am each morning and then working out by 5:30am usually. My workouts are relatively short since I only train one body part a day. And then also do 30 minutes minimum of cardio depending on the day.
    The one luxury I have is I get to take a nap later in the afternoon before coming in for my evening shift.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

That's 5.5 hours of sleep at the most? That alone would send me into overeating and lack of 'oomph' for exercising at any hour of the day :o I envy people who don't need a lot of sleep!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited September 2022
    Options
    Thank you all! It looks like the consensus is that I'm not just making excuses - some people really do struggle to get moving in the mornings, and it looks like I'm one of them! I don't think it's a sleep thing, I get to bed around 10-10:30 on a week night and get up around 7. I do have a chronic condition that causes fatigue and I think maybe that contributes to my issues getting going.

I've always wanted to be able to exercise in the mornings, and it would be so convenient, but I think it's just not to be. I'll just keep fitting in my lunch time walks and after work workouts!
  • JaysFan82
    JaysFan82 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    I literally wake up, go to the bathroom and then head to the gym. Usually around 7am. I work afternoons. The longer I go between waking and leaving the house, the more time I have for excuses not to go
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,973 Member
    edited September 2022
    Options
    Everyone is different. I had to train myself to get up in the mornings, because otherwise in the afternoons my workouts were way too hit and miss if anything came up - whereas if I got them done in the morning, then the day could unfold as needed.

I do find I need something in the morning so my workouts don't suffer - either a BCAA in my water, or I'll drink my workout shake (which includes dexanhydrous glucose for rapid absorption) as my "water", otherwise I will feel weak. Spending a few minutes (5-15) warming up is also pretty essential to effectively getting a solid workout in.

If you are consistent with afternoons, find them far more productive, and prefer them in general - no reason why you would need to change that up!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

That's 5.5 hours of sleep at the most? That alone would send me into overeating and lack of 'oomph' for exercising at any hour of the day :o I envy people who don't need a lot of sleep!
    My naps are an hour or more depending on the day.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• aCountryVegan
    aCountryVegan Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    JaysFan82 wrote: »
    I literally wake up, go to the bathroom and then head to the gym. Usually around 7am. I work afternoons. The longer I go between waking and leaving the house, the more time I have for excuses not to go

That is me, I run and the faster I hit the road in the morning the better. Sometimes when I know the weather will be iffy the next morning I will sleep in my running clothes, so I wake up, grab my water/phone/headphones and run out the door before I can think about all the reasons not to do so.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    It's a good thing that not everyone is a morning person. Imagine how crowded the gyms would be or how busy bike paths would be?

I am a morning person and it sounds like you're not. Don't worry about it, we each have our own rhythms. Workout when it suits you, contrary to what Benjamin Franklin may have said there's no particular virtue to being an early riser.