If my BMR and AMR are...?

Options
I posted before about gaining weight instead of losing weight. I figured out my BMR is 1500 and my AMR is 2325. I was only taking in about 1200 cal for the last week or so, so that could explain the weight gain. That being said, I calculated my AMR to be 2325 if I want to maintain this weight (which I definitely don't), what should my number be if I want to lose 2lbs a week?

I don't do intense workouts, just walking/jogging 4-5 days a week and the 30 Day Shred 5-6 days a week if that makes a difference.

I apologize for all the questions. I am new to this.

Replies

• _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    With only 20 lbs to lose, you do not want to set your calories to lose 2 lbs per week. This will create too much of a deficit. I suggest no more than 1 lb per week, which would be a 500 calorie deficit (1825 calories). :flowerforyou:
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    Are you eating your exercise calories? you may need to eat more -When you exercise this puts you at a deficit. It seems like a lot of people do better when they eat their recommended allowance PLUS their exercise calories.

So now we can figure out where your goal should be.
    Go to the tools section and figure out your BMI:

Generally someone with a BMI over 32 can do a 1000 calorie a day (2 lbs a week) deficit
    With a BMI of 30 to 32 a deficit of 750 calories is generally correct (about 1.5 lbs a week)
    With a BMI of 28 to 30 a deficit of 500 calories is about right (about 1 lb a week)
    With a BMI of 26 to 28 a deficit of about 300 calories is perfect (about 1/2 lb a week)
    and below 26... well this is where we get fuzzy. See now you're no longer talking about being overweight, so while it's still ok to have a small deficit, you really should shift your focus more towards muscle building, and reducing fat. This means it is EXTRA important to eat your exercise calories as your body needs to KNOW it's ok to burn fat stores, and the only way it will know is if you keep giving it the calories it needs to not enter the famine response (starvation mode).

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo
  • njbooklover
    njbooklover Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    bump
  • blueberryk
    Options
    Thank you! So on days I do not exercise I should eat less calories (about 1500), correct?
  • babs23
    Options
    Count both calories in and calories OUT (with a heart rate monitor, bodybugg/bodyfit) as closely as you can Your deficit should be around 700 cals a day if you only have 20lbs to lose.

Depending on what exercise you do, the number of cals you eat every day may change, so you have to evaluate it on a daily basis.

Take 14 minutes and listen to the beginning of Jillian Michael's free podcast called Debunking The Plateau. She explains it perfectly there.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-jillian-michaels-show/id418368811, podcast #20 on that list. The page freezes on my computer, so you can look it up on iTunes.
  • blueberryk
    Options
    I will definitely give it a listen. Thanks!

Does anyone have any good book recommendations on this subject as well? I really need all the help I can get.
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I will definitely give it a listen. Thanks!

Does anyone have any good book recommendations on this subject as well? I really need all the help I can get.

I don't have a book recommendation, but this is a really good read on it: http://body-improvements.com/resources/eat/