Snacks for the cold season?

Options
GloriaBJN
GloriaBJN Posts: 78 Member
edited September 2022 in Recipes
I was habitually scheduling ice cream and freezies for my snacks during the summer. Now that it's getting colder out, I'm having trouble transitioning. Does anyone have ideas for evening snacks for a cold day, other than tea? I guess I could microwave anything else that is snack worthy. Leftovers maybe.

Replies

• StefMB88
    StefMB88 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I was also going to say apples! We chop ours into small pieces and throw it in a pot with some swerve brown sugar and cinnamon and heat until it's almost like an apple pie filling, toss in some granola when it's done *chefs kiss*. I also like roasting pears with some gorgonzola for sweet/salty combo. Banana cranberry oat muffins or banana pumpkin muffins that I make, freeze and heat as desired are also some of my favorites for the fall season.
    Hope some others have some ideas too because I would love to hear what people are doing!
  • littlegreenparrot1
    Options
    I often have a few portions of soup in the fridge.
    The lighter broth ones are nice for snack purposes, more substantial than tea.

Similar to the apple suggestions above any kind of fruit crumble is good. I'll have a bit of that with some yoghurt.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    Options
    Broth (meat, veggie, miso, whatever), low-calorie soups.

I like winter squash, keep a bunch of it in the freezer (that I froze in the Fall) and it's easy to microwave and eat some. (I like it with some white miso mixed in.) For high volume, microwaved frozen mixed veggies with a calorie-efficient tomato (marinara) sauce.

If it doesn't need to be hot food, just non-frozen, fruit, cheese, hard-boiled eggs, jerky, dry-roasted soybeans/chickpeas/broad beans, hummus and veggies, etc.
  • YogaMusician
    YogaMusician Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    popcorn !!! hot apple cider !!!
  • Carriehelene
    Carriehelene Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Morning glory muffins
  • sds76
    sds76 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    half a graham cracker crumbled in a small bowl
    1/3 c no sugar added pie filling (I use cherry or apple)
    crumble the other half of graham cracker on top
    air fryer on 350 for 10 min. (I usually pull it at about 7 or 8 min because it smells too good to wait)
    top with sugar free cool whip. Super yummy and about 100cal.
  • GloriaBJN
    GloriaBJN Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    sds76 wrote: »
    half a graham cracker crumbled in a small bowl
    1/3 c no sugar added pie filling (I use cherry or apple)
    crumble the other half of graham cracker on top
    air fryer on 350 for 10 min. (I usually pull it at about 7 or 8 min because it smells too good to wait)
    top with sugar free cool whip. Super yummy and about 100cal.

MMMMM. I have recipes for a similar dessert but they're pretty high calorie. Sugar free cool whip. What a win.
  • Kristinemomof3
    Kristinemomof3 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    Popcorn, oatmeal or muffins.
  • SeleneMoon333
    SeleneMoon333 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    "Mug" cakes...can add protein in via more eggs/white/powder; fast in the microwave

Apple 'crisp'...apples with water-moistened oats w some spices and sweetener; I make these in the microwave...a round pan's worth is ready in less than 15 min other than cutting the apples.

Also, I do ice creams in the winter...often on berries, or on the 'crisp', or on healthier pies (a la mode), sometimes by itself. Or I use redi-whip whipped cream; used to use cool whip (can be sugar free, fat-free etc) but don't have much room in freezer for it lately. I think a bit of dairy (can also be ubiquitous yogurt too, on these fruit desserts) really takes cooked (or raw) fruit to the next level.

Today, I also had hot chocolate...I do lattes every AM, either 1 or 2, and today I only had 1 but had already tracked 2 milks, so instead of caffeine late in the day, I used a 25 cal for 2 T sugar-free chocolate mix, and warmed the milk.

Also...don't knock teas...there are some fab seasonal ones out there, that I look for every year from Celestial Seasonings (& others are getting into it too)...year round I just discovered CS' Cinn. Apple...MAJOR yum; also I *love* their year-round Bengal Spice (like Chai but more Indian, which rings my flavor chimes. But the winter seasonal ones: Sugar Cookie (smells divine, like you were just baking! though flavor isn't as strong in tea), Sugar Plum Fairy was a fam fave, and I really liked the Gingerbread Spice (hits another of my flavor chimes).

Also...CITRUS...oranges, tangerines, and I peel and eat grapefruit.

Also, look for some healthier pumpkin pie/pudding/pancake/soup/stew/chili recipes or pumpkin spice flavor profile things; also roasted sweet potatoes slices...sometimes I'll eat a few & that's all I need. Lastly, I use some extremely low cal high protein yogurts, both flavored, and also I flavor myself with fruit or some stevia/monk fruit & pumpkin spice (obvi I love ps)