Mental Health

Options
Hotelsma
Hotelsma Posts: 404 Member
Starting my journey again while battling with my mental health. Anyone else doing the same?

Replies

• MelodiousMermaid
    MelodiousMermaid Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Yep. It isn't a walk in the park by any means. Remember there will be good days and bad days, and maybe even some oh-so-ugly days thrown in... but trying to build better/smarter habits while wading through the muck means it'll be that much easier on the good days.

I find that pre-planning and keeping the next few days' worth of groceries in the house is pretty important. It's much easier to reach your intake goals when you set yourself up for success. Do what you can when you can, especially if it's doing something ahead of time (pending that it can hold until needed, e.g. chop some veggies).
  • Hotelsma
    Options
    @MelodiousMermaid thanks for your reply. Yes I have to remember those rubbish days will be ahead. I think once I get through the first week and half it will get me in a better mood 👍🏽
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,473 Member
    Options
    Been dealing with depression/anxiety (and a touch of OCD for good measure) for as long as I can remember. Don't be hesitant to reach out if you need an ear...
  • Hotelsma
    Options
    @JBanx256 thank you 👍🏽
  • Hotelsma
    Options
    @JBanx256 what have been your coping mechanism?
  • joans1976
    joans1976 Posts: 2,201 Member
    Options
    @JBanx256 I also have the A and the D and the OCD. Keeps things interesting…

@Hotelsma There is a whole section on well-being and mindfulness, you can look there. There’s also quite a few discussions on taking psych meds and weight loss (if you’re using them and that’s your goal) and you can always reach out. There’s quite a few supportive people on here. Awesome that you are even starting!
  • Hotelsma
    edited September 2022
    Options
    @joans1976 thanks for the reply. My aim is to do this this without meds, nothing wrong with them just personal preference.

I appreciate you reaching out 🙌🏽
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,473 Member
    edited September 2022
    Options
    Hotelsma wrote: »
    @JBanx256 what have been your coping mechanism?

I've tried a bunch of different RX's over the years (currently on 2 now). Training helps a ton, even if temporarily - giving me a mental break on the really bad/dark days where I am focused on THISONETHING for however long, and that kinda shuts down the endless loop going on inside my brain. If I am able to stop the internal chatter and focus, reading is a good distraction (but sometimes I can't mentally "sit still" long enough to be able to do it, or if I try to force it, I won't retain anything at all and that's just frustrating and adds to it). Art is kinda the same way - sometimes it helps me tune out but sometimes that can backfire as well. Time with el Doggo - going on a walkie or just the physical contact of petting/playing with him. My husband is super-supportive, even when he doesn't know how to help, he always makes himself available. Sometimes, to some degree, I can "sleep it off" - things feel/look different after some good zzzz's (touch of irony - I've been diagnosed with a sleeping disorder as well. Sometimes the hits just keep coming...). It's really kinda hit-or-miss with what "works" on any given day; sometimes I just have to ride it out though; for me the BAD episodes usually last a day or 2 at most, so it's just a matter of time. "Big picture" though, RX and physical activity help enormously; not foolproof or 100%, but definitely make it tolerable/manageable the vast majority of the time, beyond that it's kinda an attempt at troubleshooting - does ABC help right now? No? OK let's try XYZ...no...
  • Hotelsma
    edited September 2022
    Options
    @JBanx256 thanks for the open honest reply, really appreciate it. Your right about training. I find running helps even though I can’t stand it but feel somewhat better after. I hope the days get better bro and here for chat anytime
  • JaysFan82
    JaysFan82 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    I suffer from anxiety. I've found the better shape and health I'm in, the better my anxiety is. I haven't had an attack in months now. I feel absolutely amazing
  • Hotelsma
    Options
    @JaysFan82 that’s great go hear and long may it continue. I’ve just passed my first of training and eating well and is going bit slow but appreciate it will take time.
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    There's tons of evidence that being active and outside has a significant positive effect on mental health. Good old vitamin D and activity.

I definitely find it easier to manage my mental health struggles when I am more active. Running for me is an essential part to my mental health. I have always been a 'runner' but definitely had times in my life that I wasn't active at all due to depression. I find when I'm not physically active/getting outside it makes me feel much less capable of handling stressors in my life. When I am active and doing what I enjoy (getting out and hiking/running)...I don't feel like stressors or set-backs make me feel totally awful. I can handle them much better and am far more resilient.

Good luck. =D
  • Hotelsma
    Options
    @westrich20940 being from the UK vitamin D is a bit of a premium but it’s mad how much sunshine can change your mood. I only took up running during covid as a way cope with the loss of brother through covid and the first ever lockdown. I hated every moment but always felt better after.
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Hotelsma wrote: »
    @westrich20940 being from the UK vitamin D is a bit of a premium but it’s mad how much sunshine can change your mood. I only took up running during covid as a way cope with the loss of brother through covid and the first ever lockdown. I hated every moment but always felt better after.

I'm so sorry for your loss. It is wild the affect a little sunshine can have.
  • Hotelsma
    Options
    @westrich20940 thank you for your words 👊🏾
  • z6jv4rrmdy
    z6jv4rrmdy Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I suffer from Anxiety and Depression!! I found this journey hard at first but have learned through walking a lot that it is helping me get through! I’ve now added in biking but definitely end up walking as it clears my mind! I wish you the best of luck through this journey!
  • Hotelsma
    Options
    @z6jv4rrmdy than you for your message.

Wish you well. Ive realised recently how exercise can help whereas before it didn’t.
  • valenciacelia7693
    Options
    I deal with severe depression and anxiety. I actually just got back up from a rut. It’s hard . Sometimes I can pick myself up but other times it’s not so easy. Just a really hard roller coaster. I use fitness as an outlet. Feel free to add!!!
  • Hotelsma
    Options
    @valenciacelia7693 hay, thanks for your messge. Happy to hear you up and running again. 🙌🏽
  • PeacefulBalance
    PeacefulBalance Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Yes! Anxiety and slight depression have ramped up again, but working through it as best as possible. I hate the out of control feeling from the anxiety so I need to focus! If anyone needs support or an ear, I’m here! ❤️